• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Change of Scenery..photo's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jassy

Reaction score
For the last 10 days we've been in Hawaii! I planned this trip for my 50th b-day. We cruised on the NCL cruiseship and went to the 4 main islands. We did the marathon tours and saw as much as we could possibly fit into the days. It was a fantastic trip..so here's a little bit of what we saw..enjoy.

DSC04761.jpg

Paddlesurfer at Waikiki Beach

DSC04935.jpg

Hubby and I at Hana Beach on Maui...yes he wore his cowboy attire the whole trip..lol

DSC04962.jpg

One of thousands of beautiful flowers...

DSC05196-1.jpg

Alkela Waterfall..400ft tall!

DSC05493.jpg

We toured the Kipu Ranch on Kauai..very good looking cattle and also the ranch where lots of movies were made.

DSC05521.jpg

Simple working facilities.

DSC05579.jpg

These cattle have it made..no cold climate, green grass year around, and not much for bugs..do have a mosquito season they told us.

DSCF0083.jpg

Went snorkleing with the sea turtles..amazing sight for this Nebraska gal!

DSCF0094.jpg

Saw lots of fish..all sizes and colors

DSCF0148.jpg

Another giant sea turtle

DSCF0276.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

DSCF0315.jpg

Clear, warm ocean water makes for great corel viewing..

Thanks for sharing the great photo's!

It has been many years since we went, and after touring two ranches, including 'behind the scenes' at the Parker ranch, we decided it must be heaven for the cowboys working there!

It obviously does have some problems, maybe starting with more cattle than the population, plus their visitors can consume, and NO good way to get them to the mainland for feeding out and processing.

I believe most are shipped by airplane, since our government in it's infinite regulatory wisdom, requires ships to be US flagged (owned), and there are none capable of carrying cattle. Attempts by the local ranch owners to change the rule is why we were there, but we had no luck in getting it changed.

Seeing old photo's of how they used to load them onto ships was very interesting! It was not for those uncomfortable in deep water, as they herded them out into the water and caught them into slings and lifted them onto the ships. The paniolo's rode large draft horses to accomplish the job. Some of the older cowboys (paniolo's) of today remember seeing it done.

We loved the climate and the scenery and the courtesy shown by the 'locals' to 'mainland' drivers on their narrow roadways, but not the high numbers of tourists, many of whom were far less than polite!

mrj

Glad you enjoyed your trip. :D You only turn 50 once, 39 many times. :lol: :lol: :lol:

About shipping cattle off the islands, they shipped them to Canada first and then fed them here or trucked them south.

Latest posts