• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Changing pastures with a couple bunches of cattle 7-11-11

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Mountedonamuletomovecattle.jpg

Mounted on a mule to move cattle to a fresh pasture
Homesweethomefromalongwaysaway.jpg

Home sweet home from a long ways away, with the power of a telescopic lens on the camera
Onthemove.jpg

On the move
Persuadingthemabit.jpg

The rest of the crew was all busy in the hayfield, so it's just me, myself, and my mule.
Hidingunderatree.jpg

Hiding under a tree
Chuggingalong.jpg

Chugging along
Crossingthehighway-1.jpg

Crossing the highway
Luckedoutwithnotrafficcomingalong.jpg

Lucked out with no traffic coming
Leftthedooropentohelpmakeawing.jpg

Left the door open on the trailer to help make a wing
Theycrossedwithoutrebelling.jpg

They crossed without rebelling
Mypartnerintheprocedure.jpg

My partner in the procedure
Movinganotherbunchlateron.jpg

Moving another bunch later on
Theygetnewgrasstoo.jpg

They get a new pasture with fresh grass, too.
Onefortheroad.jpg

One more drink for the road
Backonthetrail.jpg

Back on the trail
Meanderingalongthelake.jpg

Meandering along the lake
Dustintheairbutaraincloudcoming.jpg

Dust in the air but a dark cloud just over the horizon
Goingbetweenapondandthelake.jpg

Going between a pond and the lake
Lookstoberaininthattherecloud.jpg

Looks to be rain in yonder cloud
Pickingupsaltbunks.jpg

The salt bunks have been picked up.
Cattleonnewgrass-2.jpg

Walking on new grass, singing a new song

We moved cows yesterday too. Our problem was we got up and going early, like at 3, to beat the heat that never came. It wasn't too bad when we unloaded, but by the time I had ridden the 2 miles to the far end of the pasture, it was so foggy, that I could only see the length of 1 power pole. Too foggy for pictures, for sure. Cows didn't want to travel either. The last big storm, the neighbors cows took out about 100 yards of fence, so we had to sort 2 of his pairs out. Lisa and I were both riding young horses that got educated in the process. But we beat the heat, and the cows are moved.

Your cattle and land all look to be in fine condition Soap. I don't know much about sandy ground but it looks like one would need to pay close attention to it to manage it properly so as not to damage it.

Sure enjoyed the pictures. We're on a much smaller scale but there's no better feeling than moving a bunch of cattle onto fresh grass.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Jealous, extremely jealous.

Great pics Soap.

We traveled through Tennessee for my first time, back in early June of this year. That is sure some green pretty country. We had a delightful time at Pigeon Forge, and took in Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede. We also had supper a couple different evenings at Cracker Barrel establishments. Their raspberry iced tea is wonderful stuff. :)

LazyWP said:
We moved cows yesterday too. Our problem was we got up and going early, like at 3, to beat the heat that never came. It wasn't too bad when we unloaded, but by the time I had ridden the 2 miles to the far end of the pasture, it was so foggy, that I could only see the length of 1 power pole. Too foggy for pictures, for sure. Cows didn't want to travel either. The last big storm, the neighbors cows took out about 100 yards of fence, so we had to sort 2 of his pairs out. Lisa and I were both riding young horses that got educated in the process. But we beat the heat, and the cows are moved.

Must of been the day to move cattle on that foggy day...the fall cows got split up and moved to 3 different locations anticipating hot days ahead so they wouldn't run out of water...should be good now...Soapweed, your new pastures look great and I'm sure if you open a gate your cows are right there to go through...Anything to get out of the hayfield..huh? We still haven't even started haying yet...meadows way to flooded here and the rain in the last 2 days didn't help either!

Jassy said:
LazyWP said:

Must of been the day to move cattle on that foggy day...the fall cows got split up and moved to 3 different locations anticipating hot days ahead so they wouldn't run out of water...should be good now...Soapweed, your new pastures look great and I'm sure if you open a gate your cows are right there to go through...Anything to get out of the hayfield..huh? We still haven't even started haying yet...meadows way to flooded here and the rain in the last 2 days didn't help either!

We had another half inch yesterday, and three tenths again last night. It kind of settled the dust again for awhile. :)

We traveled through Tennessee for my first time, back in early June of this year. That is sure some green pretty country. We had a delightful time at Pigeon Forge, and took in Dollywood and the Dixie Stampede. We also had supper a couple different evenings at Cracker Barrel establishments. Their raspberry iced tea is wonderful stuff. Smile

True this is a beautiful state as are many others. I'm just jealous that you're living the life I'd love to have.

Someday perhaps...

Latest posts