• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Charolais in South Dakota...who brought em?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I think Haines and Duprel were the first in S.D.
Had ranches near Faith and Vale.

Andy said:
Lindskovs have had them for a long time. I'll have to ask Les this weekend when they started.

I think Les told me he got some back in the late 50's too. His dad was running sheep and he wasn't too fond of them. You buying anything Andy? I might call in a bid on the phone? Might.
If you're at the sale check out the little Rio heifer I sent up this week to Abbey, Brent's daughter, for show. I'm rather proud of her. She'll be around the house somewhere with another, bigger, show heifer.

Arnold Wienk has had chars for a while too.

Wienk Charolais was established in 1958 with the introduction of one Charolais bull into a herd of Hereford cows.

http://www.wienkcharolais.com/index.html

My family was very similar except I believe grandpa bought Pure bred bulls and begun a strategic breeding operation with angus cattle. I believe it takes like 6 or 7 crosses back to back to end up with a pure bred calf. Of course you'll have to use atleast two bulls to prevent im-breeding. I know back in the day when grandpa bought these bulls they were sorta really just an experiment and very new to South Dakota....some said they were a joke, and that their pink hides would never survive the South Dakota summers and sun/snow reflection in the winter.

TX, we can have purebreds at 31/32. It takes five generations, I'm pretty sure. Let's see, 1/2 then 3/4 then 7/8 then 15/16 then 31/32. Yep.
There are very few fullbloods because the registry was changed around so much back in the 60's & 70's.

Chars were brought into Texas first from Mexico. Back in the late 1800's or early 1900's I believe.

Mike said:
Chars were brought into Texas first from Mexico. Back in the late 1800's or early 1900's I believe.
I may be mistaken but I think it was in the early 1940's.

la4angus said:
Mike said:
I may be mistaken but I think it was in the early 1940's.

You are closer than I was! From the Charolais website:
In the mid-1940s an outbreak of Hoof and Mouth Disease occurred in Mexico. As a result, a treaty between the United States, Canada and Mexico set up a permanent quarantine against cattle coming into any of these countries from Europe or any country where the disease was known to exist.

The first Charolais came into the United States from Mexico in 1934. From that beginning, the breed grew rapidly. Wherever they were shown, the big white cattle commanded instant attention.

There was some guys from La. that smuggled some into the U.S. and one spent time in the pen for taking the fall for it. I don't know all the details, but I think it was a Cajun guy from Kaplan, La.

MIke, I am going to buy bull, i think, seems like all the bulls i really want a lot of other ppl like also. What bull is it that your interested in, if you don't mind shareing? I am sure if Abbey is proud of that heifer she will want to show it to me. I sure do like all the Rio Blanco calves that i have seen. I used Rio Bravo last year and the few calves that i have on the ground look awsome.

Andy said:
MIke, I am going to buy bull, i think, seems like all the bulls i really want a lot of other ppl like also. What bull is it that your interested in, if you don't mind shareing? I am sure if Abbey is proud of that heifer she will want to show it to me. I sure do like all the Rio Blanco calves that i have seen. I used Rio Bravo last year and the few calves that i have on the ground look awsome.

Andy, I am looking at lot #99. He might be a little pricey though. I need another outcross bull. If I had to pick a negative on Abbey's calf, she might turn out a little "leggy". Tell her I said Hi.
Mike Callis

99 is on my list also, he looks like a good bull. Do very many of your rio Blancos have a lot of leg? The ones we have here are very deep and wide.

Andy said:
99 is on my list also, he looks like a good bull. Do very many of your rio Blancos have a lot of leg? The ones we have here are very deep and wide.

The Rio sons and daughters both are exceptionally well proportioned until they get past that "yearling" stage at about 15-18 months, then tend to be slightly leggy, but not enough to turn you off. I don't know what the cows will look like because the oldest we have are 18 months.
All the bulls we had on test this past year were in the 6-7 frame score range and wide and deep. There was one that frame scored a 7.5 but out of a big tall cow.
Rio has been a joy to have around, every time I drive past him I have to get out of the truck and scratch his back or he'll stand there until I come back through. I have never seen a more gentle bull. His calves have good dispositions also. Good luck tomorrow! My wife has informed me that I'm NOT going to be bidding.

wow that was the hottest sale i have ever been to. Lot 99 sold for 40,000 and there was one at 47 and a couple more over 10. The charolais averaged 6100-6300 somewhere and the blacks averaged 4900.

After the sale I heard Bryce Lindskov say the "whites" averaged 6100 and the blacks 4700. They had a million dollar day and definitely deserved it. Brent works really hard for that average---it's easy to sell the good high, but tough to maintain that high of an average throughout the entire sale.

The high Char was $47500 (I think, I know the $47000 part but might have been $47750 or 250) and second high was $42000). Sorry I don't know what the high selling Angus was--maybe 10 or 12 thousand???

Also Lynn Weisharr (?spelling) is a great auctioneer--some of the great sale needs to be attributed to his talent.

Mike I was looking forward to meeting you at the sale--and was disappointed when Brent said you weren't going to make it.

Great cattle and great people--

Congrats to them all---

TTB

TTB, I appreciate the news from Isabel and wish I could have attended and met you also. More than you know. Oh well, there will be another next year.
Tax time plus a couple of family crisis' kept me here.
Have a good day. Mike

Hangna said:
We were there and it was hot. We bought Lot 24 and 84.
You are correct, you'd have to go a long way to beat the Lindskovs and Thiels.

Leslie, I suspect you did good with your choices at the sale. I have never used any 9108 blood in my herd until this year. (I bred some Rio heifers to Easy Pro) Hope they do you well! Mike

Turkey Track Bar said:
After the sale I heard Bryce Lindskov say the "whites" averaged 6100 and the blacks 4700. They had a million dollar day and definitely deserved it. Brent works really hard for that average---it's easy to sell the good high, but tough to maintain that high of an average throughout the entire sale.

The high Char was $47500 (I think, I know the $47000 part but might have been $47750 or 250) and second high was $42000). Sorry I don't know what the high selling Angus was--maybe 10 or 12 thousand???

Also Lynn Weisharr (?spelling) is a great auctioneer--some of the great sale needs to be attributed to his talent.

Mike I was looking forward to meeting you at the sale--and was disappointed when Brent said you weren't going to make it.

I have know Brent and Les for a long time. Talk about great people. They have great cattle and great attitudes. It is really nice to see good people awarded the way they were this week.

Great cattle and great people--

Congrats to them all---

TTB

Latest posts