• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chasing turkeys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
No he wasn't chasing me!!!!!

Me and my son have been hunting turkeys in May. He got to hunt the last two days of April as a youth hunter. We had a nice Tom gobble a few times up a juniper draw. So we looped way around and got ahead of him to try calling him into bow range. But he didn't wanna play fair. But we sure had a pretty sunset.
75CAF4AA-D0A3-4E69-B1AF-2B2F1DC508A9.jpeg

If I put a shotgun on the quad I could shoot a turkey most everyday. However, the wife heard a rumor that turkeys are hard on rattle snakes. As a result she allows no killing of turkeys on our place. I don't know there is any truth to the snake part but I do know there is truth to the wife part.

No he wasn't chasing me!!!!!

Me and my son have been hunting turkeys in May. He got to hunt the last two days of April as a youth hunter. We had a nice Tom gobble a few times up a juniper draw. So we looped way around and got ahead of him to try calling him into bow range. But he didn't wanna play fair. But we sure had a pretty sunset.
View attachment 1771
That is an awesome picture!!

If I put a shotgun on the quad I could shoot a turkey most everyday. However, the wife heard a rumor that turkeys are hard on rattle snakes. As a result she allows no killing of turkeys on our place. I don't know there is any truth to the snake part but I do know there is truth to the wife part.
Your wife is 100% right! Wild turkeys do eat all kinds of snakes and insects. They have been known to kill and eat rattlers. Think of them as the Western Mongoose. I suggest you make friends with a wild turkey and have it ride on the handlebars of your quad so it can leap off and clear the area of rattlesnakes when you irrigate. A flock of wild turkeys breaking trail in front of you can be a win win. The bottled wild turkey is best thrown in rattlesnake dens and lit of fire.
hqdefault.jpg

I suggest you make friends with a wild turkey and have it ride on the handlebars of your quad so it can leap off and clear the area of rattlesnakes when you irrigate. .
View attachment 1784A
A turkey on the handlebars wouldn't work very well. Peppermint Patty rides on the back of the quad. She loves to chase turkeys, geese, pheasants, quail, or anything else. I would be caught in the middle of a turkey / dog fight. I might be better off dealing with an occasional snake bite.

Latest posts