• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Check the ingredients in your mouse poison

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
The young man that leases our place told us about this after we had bought some Tom Cat mouse poison and now I have read it in Jan Swan Wood's column in the Tri-State Livestock News. We had no idea about this. but it's pretty serious.

Jan writes, "There's a relatively new mouse/rat poison out that is highly
dangerous to cats and dogs. The name of the substance in various baits is Bromethalin. It kills rats and mice great, but is attractive to pets and even rodents killed by the stuff can kill your dog or cat if they eat it. There's no antidote for the poisoning and survival is rare even with immediate veterinary attention.

Faster horses said:
The young man that leases our place told us about this after we had bought some Tom Cat mouse poison and now I have read it in Jan Swan Wood's column in the Tri-State Livestock News. We had no idea about this. but it's pretty serious.

dangerous to cats and dogs. The name of the substance in various baits is Bromethalin. It kills rats and mice great, but is attractive to pets and even rodents killed by the stuff can kill your dog or cat if they eat it. There's no antidote for the poisoning and survival is rare even with immediate veterinary attention.

I should get some for the neighbors sheep killing dogs, aw well 150 grains works too.

Denny said:
Faster horses said:

I should get some for the neighbors sheep killing dogs, aw well 150 grains works too.

Friends of ours had sheep and they lived not more than 5 miles from town. Neighbors dogs kept harassing the sheep. Our friend paid them a visit....and more than one...they were empathic....WAS NOT THEIR DOGS DOING THAT; they never left!!!...what they did was let the dogs out at night....so finally he shot the dogs. Then he took them to their place to show them THEIR DOGS that never left the place. :shock: :p

Back when I was a student at Montana State University, friends of mine lived at Fort Ellis just outside of Bozeman where they did sheep research. One night dogs came in and killed several of the ram test rams and tore up several others. One of the guys grabbed his gun and killed one dog and the other got away. They then put an ad in the paper for a found dog (didn't mention that he was dead). Dog owner showed up to claim the dog and was promptly presented with a bill for damages.

At that point it was pretty difficult to argue that his dogs wouldn't do something like that.

Friends of ours had sheep and they lived not more than 5 miles from town. Neighbors dogs kept harassing the sheep. Our friend paid them a visit....and more than one...they were empathic....WAS NOT THEIR DOGS DOING THAT; they never left!!!...what they did was let the dogs out at night....so finally he shot the dogs. Then he took them to their place to show them THEIR DOGS that never left the place. :shock: :P[/quote said:
Neighbor of mine asked some folks to keep their dogs out of his cattle. Their reply was "not my dog, he doesn't chase cattle." Don shot the dog. Neighbor angry and asks "did you shoot my dog?" Don, not your dog, I shot a dog that was chasing my cattle, and your dog doesn't chase cattle."

Four neighbor blue heelers got together in a pack and killed my grandkids show lambs last week. That afternoon "OO" buckshoot done them in as they lay sleeping in their yards.

An old rancher by Rapid City, SD that I worked for in high school would always cut off the dead dog's ID tag and mail it back to the owner when he "caught' the dogs chasing his livestock.

A rancher I knew had a problem with dogs chasing calves and saw the neighbor dog among them. He called "Boots", who brought the others along, shot the others, took "Boots" home and explained the situation. No more problems with dogs chasing calves.

Isn't it great that some of us still live where we can take of such problems ourselves!!!

May not be 'pretty', but neither are chewed up calves.

mrj

Coyotes are not any where near the problem that feral dogs pose. Remember soap weed posted about the loose dogs killing that little girl? I get sick shooting feral dogs, especially if I don't make a clean kill, but it must be done.

Faster horses said:

Can you bring me a 50 lb bag?

gcreekrch said:
Faster horses said:

Oh, I get what you are saying....darn! The next time we come that way we'll try to smuggle you some. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gcreekrch said:
Faster horses said:

Just one?

:wink: :wink:

Latest posts