• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Check this out - ATV ramp

Help Support Ranchers.net:

creativecattle

Reaction score
We saw this ATV ramp on a ranch in Montana. Would save a lot of time if you didn't have to mess with gates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SirEUQLK0

They have a lot of them in southern Utah on ATV trails in cow country. Folks can motate right along and not leave gates down. They are smaller than the one pictured as they cross barbwire fences. They are made out of metal and look just like this one with a flat top so you dont bottom out. They work great! :wink:

A neighbor of ours put them into his fences a few years ago, sure makes it handy when one is working cattle where there are a lot of cross fences.

I must spend about 1/4 of the day just opening and closing gaps around here in calving season . . .

I got the posts pounded where I want them but haven't built the ramps yet! :roll:

burnt said:
A neighbor of ours put them into his fences a few years ago, sure makes it handy when one is working cattle where there are a lot of cross fences.

I must spend about 1/4 of the day just opening and closing gaps around here in calving season . . .

I got the posts pounded where I want them but haven't built the ramps yet! :roll:

When you get rid of the cows you will have time to build them. :wink:

Maybe you should build some portable ones for sale in that new shop. :D

You can buy ATV ramps from Daniels Man. in Ainsworth, NE that will go right in your barb wire fence. Just cut wires and put the ramp in, tie the wires to each side of the ramp.

I made some just like the ones Daniels Mfg makes. Used old scrap iron and a hell of alot cheaper. Works great I put one up every calving seasone around our corn stalks sure saves time, I put up some on all of the pastures also.

that's way cool, but never work here in Nebraska, some cows would just get smart and walk over the dern things. :roll: :lol: just like tryin' to jump over a fence like they were younger again!!

I know where there are plenty of the things, right here in Nebraska. Course, the cows all have access to LOOMIX, so they don't go lookin' for the "greener grass" on t'other side of the fence. 8)

I know they are a lifesaver for the Lazy T boys, they calve out around 800-1200/year. If they just made ramps so my 550 could cross. I do get awful tired opening and closing "gates" (at least their owners think they are gates :roll: ) all day long.

I got this in an email this morning and thought it was pretty funny.

For those of you who have never traveled to the West or Southwest, cattle
guards are horizontal steel rails placed at fence openings, in dug-out
places in the roads adjacent to highways (sometimes across highways), to
prevent cattle from crossing over that area. For some reason the cattle will
not step on the "guards," probably because they fear getting their feet
caught between the rails.

A few months ago, President Obama received a report that there were over
100,000 cattle guards in Colorado. Because Colorado ranchers had protested
his proposed changes in grazing policies, he ordered the Secretary of the
Interior to fire half of the guards immediately.

Before the Interior Secretary could respond and presumably straighten him
out, Vice-President, Joe Biden, intervened with a request that before any
guards were fired, they be given six months of retraining.

have a good one

lazy ace

per said:
We just use Texas gates. Kind of an old idea but very effective. :wink:

Except they tend to need to be dug out occasionally and they are often rendered useless in the winter because they fill up with snow. Nice thing is you can get more than an ATV across them.
I always chuckle when I hear them called 'Texas gates' too. :D

In Alberta we called them Texas gates or cattle guards. A lot of the oil leases use them or gates aren't left unlatched or closed.

Latest posts