• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chicago loses bid to win 2016 Games

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Chicago loses bid to win 2016 Games

Chicago and Tokyo were eliminated after the first round of voting for the 2016 Olympics host city.
Friday, October 2, 2009
COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) sensationally rebuffed U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday, eliminating Chicago from the contest for the 2016 Olympics and narrowing the field to Rio de Janeiro and Madrid.
Tokyo were also voted out when the IOC whittled the choice from four to two candidates but it was Chicago's shock elimination which drew a stunned response from onlookers.

CNN Anchor Flabbergasted after Chicago Eliminated...

President Obama had put his personal political credibility on the line by flying in to the Danish capital earlier on Friday to urge the IOC to choose his home town of Chicago. His wife, first lady Michelle Obama, had spent two days in Copenhagen charming IOC members.

Almost no one had expected such an astonishing rebuff. Chicago finished last of the four bids in the first round of voting by 95 eligible members.

As none of the other three reached an overall majority, a second round of voting was held with Tokyo coming last, leaving Madrid and Rio in the third and final round.

The result of the final round of voting will be announced by IOC president Jacque Rogge at a ceremony starting at 1630 GMT.

STRONG APPEALS

Most observers had predicted a close contest between Chicago and Rio de Janeiro.

Though the U.S. President and his wife produced strong appeals in the day's first 45-minute presentation by Chicago, they were almost certainly undone by the emotional tugs provided by Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva for Rio and former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch for Spain.

Lula raised the emotional stakes in his direct appeal to the IOC to stop favoring Europe, North America and Asia and take the Games to South America for the first time.

"This is a continent that has never held the Games," he said. "It is time to address this imbalance. The opportunity is now to extend the Games to a new continent. It's an opportunity for an Olympics in a tropical country for the first time, to feel the warmth of our people, the exuberance of our culture and the sensation of our joy."

Even more emotionally, Samaranch, now 89, pulled powerfully at the heart-strings of members when he spoke for Madrid. "I know I am very near the end of my days," he said. "May I ask you to consider granting my country the honor and also the duty to organize the games in 2016?"

Obama's appearance, the first by a sitting U.S. President at an IOC session, provoked huge interest from IOC members, even though they are used to being courted by major political figures.

Obama told the IOC: "I've come here today to urge you to choose Chicago for the same reason I chose Chicago nearly twenty-five years ago, the reason I fell in love with the city I still call home."

Oh, the AUDACITY to deny the world Messiah! :shock: :shock:

Maybe the committee took a look at Obama's former district and saw what a crap-hole it is.....

Fox news kind of summed it up best.

'O', WHAT A LET DOWN

I can only say thank you to the Members that dropped the bomb and cut the annoited one down a notch,

He said in his speach that he really missed Chicago and realy would like to be there. Maybe on the 5th of Oct he will gent his papers that soon will send him back home!

I almost forgot. You have to wonder how long before someone plays the race card.

A comment from Axelrod.

Politics? He seems surprised, but was that not the reason for having obama involved?

It looked pretty political to me, having a President for the first time, pushing to have the olympics in his hometown.

Top White House adviser David Axelrod says "politics" played a key role in the International Olympic Committee's decision to reject President Obama's appeal in support of Chicago's bid to host the 2016 Olympics.

He placed the prestige of his presidency directly on the line and failed. That's the bottom line. He gambled with the one thing no president should ever gamble with unless the stakes are much higher than his hometown getting the Olympic games.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/post-hoc-criticism-of-obamas-trip-justified/

Even Politico's resident Obama cheerleader Ben Smith had to admit the obvious:

"There's a reason the president is rarely dispatched to a summit whose outcome is uncertain.

And Chicago's elimination in the first round of voting has to raise questions about whether the White House was getting accurate information about how competitive this was from Chicago's Olympics organizers.

The White House staked, and lost, some prestige on that one."

hypocritexposer said:
A comment from Axelrod.

Politics? He seems surprised, but was that not the reason for having obama involved?

It looked pretty political to me, having a President for the first time, pushing to have the olympics in his hometown.

Top White House adviser David Axelrod says "politics" played a key role in the International Olympic Committee's decision to reject President Obama's appeal in support of Chicago's bid to host the 2016 Olympics.

In an interview moments ago on CNN, Axelrod said, "I don't view this as a repudiation of the president or the first lady. I think that there are politics everywhere, and there were politics inside that room." Axelrod said that a former head of the IOC was leading Madrid's effort for the games, and others involved in other Olympic bids also had connections with the IOC. "As with any process like this, there are all kinds of crosscurrents in the room, there are relationships," Axelrod said.

Asked for details, Axelrod said, "I'm not suggesting anything nefarious…I'm not suggesting anything untoward happened. There are politics around every process, and there were here as well…There were relationships that paid off for some of the other cities."[/quote]

Tony Blair was succesful

Putin was succesful for Russias bid.

Hopefully the facts are the world is waking up to who just who this guy is.

I am quite sure som of the ones that voted against us were from some of these countries. France. Israel, Poland and other countries he has recently crossed out. Pay backs are rough.

I think I heard the SMACK drifting in the wind. Sure would have loved to been in the room when he got the news. Talk about a temper tantrum or tirade.

Personally I think its good that the Olympics will go to another country, I believe everyone should get a turn, absolutley South America should have a chance....

Yanuck said:
Personally I think its good that the Olympics will go to another country, I believe everyone should get a turn, absolutley South America should have a chance....

I agree and now is probably not the time we should want it in the U.S. Most times they go in debt more than comes in.

Obama was probably pretty shocked that he was the first one to be dismissed, did not even make it to the finals. O'Where did the love go!

Only Cost us a Couple Million for Obama and his wife to go over there in separate flights.

Obama must be worried about the IRS he through in 25 minute war time stop to talk to general so he could write off the trip as business :roll:

aplusmnt said:
Only Cost us a Couple Million for Obama and his wife to go over there in separate flights.

Obama must be worried about the IRS he through in 25 minute war time stop to talk to general so he could write off the trip as business :roll:

You are probably on to something there not the IRS. But the American olympic commitee could have been forced to pick up the bill for him.

Top 10 Reasons Chicago Didn't Get the Olympics [Rich Lowry]

An e-mail:

10. Dead people can't vote at IOC meetings

9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal

8. Who cares if Obama couldn't talk the IOC into Chicago? He'll be
able to talk Iran out of nukes.

7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.

6. Obviously no president would have been able to acomplish it.

5. We've been quite clear and said all along that we didn't want
the Olympics.

4. This isn't about the number of Olympics "lost", it's about the
number of Olympics "saved" or "created".

3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee

2. Because the IOC is racist.

1. It's George Bush's fault.

Michelle Obama
"Sports were a gift I shared with my dad, especially the Olympic Games," Obama said in her portion of the U.S. delegation's final presentation to the International Olympic Committee. "Some of my best memories are sitting on my dad's lap, cheering on Olga and Nadia, Carl Lewis and others for their brilliance and perfection.

Sitting on her dad's lap and watching Carl Lewis? Would she have been 19 or 20?

I liked the spin Obama ran just before the vote, Rio has way to much crime where as Chicago has no crime at all ???

Chicago's violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation.

When Chicago is compared to other cities of similar population, the Chicago crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher.
http://www.examiner.com/x-2684-Law-Enforcement-Examiner~y2009m10d3-Chicago-Crime-Obamas-Olympic-Failure-Tied-to-Windy-Citys-Violence

Brazil continues to have high crime rates in a number of statistics, despite recent improvements. Some homicide rates in metropolitan areas were:
Rio de Janeiro 38
Despite its charm and beauty, Rio is reputed to be one of the most violent cities in the world
maybe the police will clean up the city..

Rio has high crime rates, especially homicide, in poor areas dominated by drug lords, primarily in the North Zone.[80] As of 2007, the homicide rate of the greater metropolitan area stood at nearly 30 victims per week, with the majority of victims falling to mugging, stray bullets or narcoterrorism.[81][82] In 2006, 2,273 people were murdered in the city giving it a murder rate of 37.7 cases for every 100,000 people.[83]

According to federal government research,[6] the city itself ranks 206th (out of a total of 5,565) in the list of the most violent cities and municipalities in Brazil and first in total number of firearm-related deaths. Between 1978 and 2000, 49,900 people were killed in Rio.[84] The Urban Warfare involves drug-traffic battle with police fighting against outlaws, or even corrupt policemen on their side.

Rio de Janeiro's low paid and ill-equipped police are violent as well, it has been said.[85] In 2007, the police allegedly killed 1,330 people in the state,[86] an increase of 25 percent over 2006 when 1,063 people were killed, in 2003 that number plateaued at 1,195. In comparison the American police killed only 347 people in whole of the United States during 2006

maybe not?

Latest posts