• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chickens

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Gee, I never thought of that before, and I always had chickens.
When the baby chicks I got in the spring got all their feathers,
(seems like that was usually in the fall)
I put them with the older chickens. I don't know if that was right
or wrong, but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Don't you just love pullet eggs? :D

I got some chicks this spring and just turned them in with mu older chickens about 2 weeks ago.
so around 3-4 months of age.

I think we got the chicks in May. They're getting pretty big. We're running out of room in their pen but have plenty in the layer's pen. If anyone is within range we have some for sale.

My wife put 15 week old pullets in with her 2 yr. old hens and the old girls sure like to maintain the pecking order. They can get downright nasty, those old girls can.

It might be a matter of numbers too. he couple of pullets were quite outnumbered by the old hens. But the old girls still pick on the pullets 6 months later.

Ok, just for fun I did a google search. :D
After many ways to cook chicken :p I found this:

Q. I need some suggestions on how to introduce two 5 week old pullets to my small flock of two 2 year old hens. I want the new girls to be safely incorporated into the flock. I have heard that chickens can peck younger or weaker chickens to death when they are added to the flock. I just got my two new RIR pullets today. They are being kept safely in my basement in a large (2'x3') crate with a screened cover for tonight. After that I hope to have some suggestions on how to begin the introductions. I thought that I might use a 2' x 1 1/2' welded wire cage that I have so that they could be in at night in the hen house with the other hens. Would that be a good start? My hens do not free range (too many predators), so the enclosed run is an issue. It is 6' x 12' x 5' and not big enough to subdivide. Help!

A. What I have heard is to introduce them with wire between for a few days so they can see one another first. Then introduce them when you can watch them for a few hours to see how they do. I have to do this soon too but mine are only a week apart! Shouldn't be to hard i hope!

Heres the site:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=57515

(cluck, cluck, cluck) :D
Good luck!

Big Muddy rancher said:
I didn't even know we had this many chicken experts here on ranchers. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

not experts BMR, CHICKEN RANCHERS :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

i'm not guilty but my wife is(500 broilers a year) I stay as far away as i can

don't even like chicken, especially don't like it with rice :mad: :D :D

Everybody needs chickens. :D

IMG_0205.jpg

I think the aggression is tied to the breed of the birds too. I know the Cornish Giants that we raise for meat are such a bunch of slugs they wouldn't even notice a new bird. But the layers are another story. Mine are a bunch of real scrappers, and I don't think I'm even going to introduce new ones unless someone gets broody and raises them herself.

When the young uns get close to the size of the old uns, approx. 8 weeks, is when ours usually get put together. It DOES help to let them see each other thru a fence/chicken wire for a week before they actually mingle. The more space the better, so the underdogs can get away from the dominant ones. If you keep them confined, 4 sq feet per bird minimum for the coop, plus more space in a run or yard is even better. We let ours free range during the day. There was a little scuffling over roosting spots the first couple nights but not much drama at all. We merged 8 young uns and 10 new mature hens into an established flock of 16 all in the same week. If you get a persistant bully, stew her. If anybody gets bloody, separate them in a dog crate or something until they heal or everybody will want to pick at the sore.

Free ranging chickens are great bug control and they help with parasites because they love to excavate fresh cow patties. I have seen them walk around the cattle when they are bedded down and pick horse flies off of them. And besides, don't you cowboys need some eggs to go with that steak???

I personally like to let my dogs kill them around 1-2 months so that I have to order all new birds! This method has proved successful as I never have to worry about getting them out with other birds.

All joking aside, I think it varies from breed to breed. I haven't had a problem yet but I heard that polishes shouldn't be put out too soon as other birds like to pick at their top hat.

Kosmo said:
I personally like to let my dogs kill them around 1-2 months so that I have to order all new birds! This method has proved successful as I never have to worry about getting them out with other birds.

All joking aside, I think it varies from breed to breed. I haven't had a problem yet but I heard that polishes shouldn't be put out too soon as other birds like to pick at their top hat.

I think my wife has them just to feed the local red fox family.

I think my wife has them just to feed the local red fox family.[/quote]

got to have some bait to be a successful predator hunter :D :lol: :lol:

Latest posts