• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

chinks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleRMe says, "I'm not into looking western, I'm into being warm."

That is me when it comes to spurs and broncs. I'm not into looking western, I'm into staying on. After getting bucked off numerous times through the years, and getting hurt rather badly a few of those times, I finally did a self-analysis test. In doing this evaluation, one common denominator stood out in glaring fashion. On each of those occasions I was wearing my spurs. I still wear my spurs most of the time when horseback, but on those cold frosty mornings if I think a certain horse will buck, I leave the spurs off until I've made an initial ride around the corral. If everything is looking good, I'll stop and put on the spurs before riding off for the day.

When I first come to this country, I was raised in the South. We gathered cows one day to ship to Texas. All I had on overshoes over my boots,long johns under my leggins a vest and my thin Walls jacket but did have a cap with earflapps. It was -25 degrees with a wind chill of -60. But we had to ship those cows. My foreman look at me and laughed. He gave me a big heavy coat to put on. Wasn't too bad going south to make a circle but when we headed the cows north to the pens I thought I was going to freeze. Told the wife at noon next pay day we are to get me a heavier coat a pair of insulated bibs and a pair of 14' whites lace-up winter pacs. Never leave home with out them in the cold. Ole Foreman used to say: Can't put it on if you don't have it, but you can always take it off. Now I"m at the point where now when it's 25 or 30 below and gets back up to 0 I can take my big coat off and say " It's warming up" :)

. Ole Foreman used to say: Can't put it on if you don't have it, but you can always take it off. Now I"m at the point where now when it's 25 or 30 below and gets back up to 0 I can take my big coat off and say " It's warming up
My dad would say that too. At our house when we where going to cowboy and it was cold it was: The first dressed was the best dressed. :wink:

8) My thinking on spurs is why wear them if you don't need them? I wear spurs when I ride my old horse from high school as he tends to be a tad on the lazy side. He needs a tad more coaxing to get up and go then just a kick. However when riding a younger horse why get a soupy one more going? I think there's a need i just think sometimes "cowboys" think they need them more then they do. :p

Another thing about spurs I just don't get is why do some men wear them to town? Don't give me the they don't have time to take them off all it takes it slipping them over the boot top or unbuckling. I always wanna ask a man i see in town with their spurs on if they forgot their horse somewhere. :???:

"Cowboys" should know when to use them.

Horsemen use them as a training tool. There is a right way to use spurs and they are not to be 'jabbed into a horse' as seems to be the case often times. They should be rolled up against the horses sides. They are used to lift a horse and to help him manuever. Ever rode a 'dead sided' horse? That horse at one time needed some spurs and didn't get them, so got lazy and dead sided.

Do you ever see jockeys with spurs? I don't think so. Cutters all ride with spurs and they aren't going fast in a straight line, they are manuevering. It is my opinion that a whip flattens a horse and makes him lenghten his stride. Both are merely tools to better do a job. Some, sadly, are used in an abusive way.

Do I ride horses with spurs? Nope. Not hand enough. But I see them be a useful tool in the right hands. And I ride horses who have been ridden with spurs. And too, there are all kinds of spurs, from gut-hooks to nice little short-shanked spurs. Owner preference and designed for different jobs.

JMHO

CattleRMe said:
8) My thinking on spurs is why wear them if you don't need them? I wear spurs when I ride my old horse from high school as he tends to be a tad on the lazy side. He needs a tad more coaxing to get up and go then just a kick. However when riding a younger horse why get a soupy one more going? I think there's a need i just think sometimes "cowboys" think they need them more then they do. :p
If a horse is inclined to buck spurs will discourage him quicker than anything and slick bootheels can get you a faceful of dirt. :eek: :???: :D :D

Some, sadly, are used in an abusive way.

Foreman on a job we were on used to actually bloody his horse's sides with his spurs. And one day had the nerve to tell me how I was mistreating my ponies. I blew a gasket and essentially finished my tirade by telling him where to stick it. That afternoon I went home and told my husband to "Start lookin'!" :x
:wink:

Do I ride horses with spurs? Nope. Not hand enough. But I see them be a useful tool in the right hands.

That's pretty much my thoughts too.
I'm just too clumsy to be trusted with them, but I do know a number of people that always have them on, but frequently don't use them.

The lesser half always has his on, but I think it's just 'cause he likes the jing-jing of his jinglebobs. :lol:

I just try to pick the horse on the coldest mourning that doesn't buck. We do have 1or 2 of them. The ground seems to be getting harder as I get older. I use my spurs on just about everything I ride. I was always told if your gonna wear spurs you need to know when to use them and when to keep them out of your horse's side. Believe me I've been on some buckers I don't worry to much if my spurs are in them or not I'm just trying to stay on . Most of my horse's will quit when you pull their head up. :lol:

:???: I thought one's riding ability not their wearing of spurs kept their seat in the saddle when one was inclined to buck. :???:

CattleRMe said:
:???: I thought one's riding ability not their wearing of spurs kept their seat in the saddle when one was inclined to buck. :???:

Spurs, seat belt, the saddle horn or the rope on the fork of the saddle, I ain't got no pride! :lol:

When a horse starts to buck with me I just paddle him with my butt, but I never want to do it for very long evidently, cause I only paddle him a time or two and then I get off and make him walk home! :x

Jinglebob said:
CattleRMe said:

Spurs, seat belt, the saddle horn or the rope on the fork of the saddle, I ain't got no pride! :lol:

When a horse starts to buck with me I just paddle him with my butt, but I never want to do it for very long evidently, cause I only paddle him a time or two and then I get off and make him walk home! :x

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, when your old and fat, you got to use every opurtunity you can get!

That song about "I ain't as good as I once was", well I am as good as I once was........................but then I wasn't that good to start with! :wink:

Faster horses said:
I'm not ashamed to say I grab the saddle horn, lots of times.

A real good cowboy told me once, "If that horn was put there just for pulling things, it would be behind you."
:shock:
How about that?
yup

The older i get the more i find myself reaching for the saddlehorn. Growing up I was told if i grabbed the horn my arm was gonna be tied to my side. :help:

I guess my dad liked me better than that. Some of the neighbor kids would try and swat your hand if it was on the horn, but they never got me as I "got off the horse" way to quick for them!

Dad told us to stay off fromhorses that bucked as we would pay for it when we got older. I'm paying for riding the "easy" ones!

Worse I ever got hurt was when horses fell with me.

Youngest got slam dunked today off the paint. Didn't warm him up and he said in three steps he was in a bronk ride. Said he was doin' good until the buckin' rolls broke. Glad he isn't going to sue me for "FAULTY EQUIPMENT"! :lol:

Back to chaps and chinks. I have a nice pair of chinks that I hardly get to wear since coming back to the desert. Had to go back to the heavy chaps never know when you are gonna wind up in a cholla forest and it is not fun picking cholla spines out of yourself. I used to have a horse that got bloodied up from my spurs or grass or anything else that touched him. I once in a great while have to go through town with a load of horses to get to the other end of the the place with my spurs on simply because I have one pair of boots for riding and my spurs are always on them.

How do you drive? :???:
The first thing the lesser half does when he jumps in the pickup is unbuckles his spurs, even when he's going to be riding again. He said it strikes him as a bit dangerous trying to run the pedals with wheels on his feet....

Latest posts