• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chokecherry trees

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Just don't try pickle juice with a milk chaser......that's badddddddddd.

Yuck- Neither that or chokecherries sound very good... :shock:

Just after we got married, my wife made up some chokecherry syrup and wine...After all the cooking and straining the recipe for the wine said you added sugar and put it in jugs or bottles with a balloon on the top- allow the balloon to expand and go down before you corked them, which we did...We must have had about 10 bottles of all sizes from 16 ozs to gallon jugs sitting on the kitchen table with balloons on top of them...

About 4AM that next morning we were in bed when we were awakened by a loud boom-- The whole kitchen and little dining room area, all the way out into the living room had chokecherry running off the walls and dripping off the ceiling...For some reason one of the gallon jugs exploded... :roll:

After she had a good cry, we spent the morning giving the house a good cleanup job- all the while with her saying she would never make wine again- and she hasn't......

One year, mom made some chokecherry jelly, but didn't get the pectin right, so it didn't set.

Oh man, it was the best pancake syryp and ice cream topping ever!!!

We have a big 30-35 footer about 10 feet from the front foor of the house.

Sand Cherry jelly is awesome! and Yellow Buffaloberry is real putry, too.

Badlands

Katrina makes the worlds best Chokecherry jelly.

Wonder if she'll swap me some for some fig preserves?

Please?

Chokecherry is a perennial that bears masses of white flowers in long clusters in the spring. Small ripe cherries range in color from purple to black. Leaves are dark green and glossy.
Western chokecherry and black chokecherry cause livestock poisoning when drought and overgrazing reduce the availability of grasses and other forage. Animals become poisoned if they eat large quantities of the leaves in a short time. Both sheep and cattle may be poisoned by chokecherry. Although most losses occur when feed is scarce, a few animals seem to prefer this plant to other forage. Cattle sometimes are poisoned by eating leaves on branches trimmed from cultivated chokecherry trees. The toxic substance in chokecherry, hydrocyanic acid, is found principally in the leaves. Leaves become less toxic as the growing season advances.
Chokecherry and arrowgrass both contain hydrocyanic acid. Other plants with cyanogenic potential include Sudan grass, Johnson grass, reed canary grass, white clover, birdsfoot trefoil, mountain mahogany, and Saskatoon service berry.
here and When It Grows?Chokecherry grows in damp and fertile soil. It is found in thickets on hillsides and canyon slopes. It appears as a shrub or small tree among willows, poplars, and alders that grow along mountain streams. Chokecherry begins growing early in the spring. Its growth is slow at high elevations.
?Chokecherry trees may reach a height of 20 feet. They are often found growing with other trees and bushes. The berries are not considered to be toxic and are often used in jelly and syrups. Chokecherry may grow as a shrub to about 4 feet in height. It is found in thickets, along hillsides, and on canyon slopes.

We just picked chokecherries here yeasterday look forward to jelly and syrup.

They grow in the meadows here and have yet to have a critter die from them.

CattleRMe said:
We just picked chokecherries here yeasterday look forward to jelly and syrup.

They grow in the meadows here and have yet to have a critter die from them.

You like Fig Preserves? :lol:

I"ll pass on the fig perserves, but if anyone has any plums, I sure would like some of em. Aint none of the plum trees made anything around here. Only one plum tree still has fruit on it, have no idea what kind it is, dad n law says it's one that don't get ripe till the fall. (never heard of such) but I did pull one the other day n taste of it.......oh man....like bitin into a persimmon. Made my puckerer pucker, n had to spit it out.

CattleRMe said:
:) I'm willing to try about anything once as I've never heard of fig preserves.

Shoot me your address on a PM and I'll send you some.

Only catch is......................if you like 'em you have to send me some Chokecherry jelly. :lol:

Juan said:
Mike--------
If CattleRMe can,t send the jelly,I may be able to help. :)

OK, scratch CattleRMe, you're on! PM me your address!
Remember the deal....if you like the figs, you have to send me some chokecherry jelly. OK? :wink:

Mike said:
Juan said:
Mike--------
If CattleRMe can,t send the jelly,I may be able to help. :)

OK, scratch CattleRMe, you're on! PM me your address!
Remember the deal....if you like the figs, you have to send me some chokecherry jelly. OK? :wink:

Gone a day and I lose my chance ..............sheesh!!! :)

Chokecherry report from the Spearhead: Ten year old grand daughter and I picked enough chokecherries to make six gallons of juice that I'll turn into syrup, jelly, and the best wine you've ever tasted. At least that's the plan if our local general store has enough sugar on hand today.

Liberty Belle said:
Chokecherry report from the Spearhead: Ten year old grand daughter and I picked enough chokecherries to make six gallons of juice that I'll turn into syrup, jelly, and the best wine you've ever tasted. At least that's the plan if our local general store has enough sugar on hand today.

You must call your ranch the Spearhead, also. Although I call our place the Soapweed Outfit on Ranchers.Net., the "real" name is the Spearhead Ranch, so called because of our Spearhead brand. The brand is a "lazy v bar", which forms a disconnected arrow pointing to the left. It is one of the older brands in Cherry County, and was in use before 1898. At that time the courthouse burned down, so paperwork from previous brand recordings is non-existant.

You must have a better Spearhead Ranch, because yours provides chokecherries. Ours doesn't. :wink: :) Have a good day, from the Nebraska Spearhead to the South Dakota Spearhead. May cool weather commence and rain fall upon your pastures.

Liberty Belle said:

A good friend of mine and I were just wondering about chokecherry wine is it easy to make?? I've picked enough for jelly and there are still some bushes full might be fun to try.

Latest posts