• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chopping day - corn silage photos

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
We chopped silage last week. This is the first corn silage we have ever had. It took them 11 hours to move in and get 140 acres done. Looks like great feed and it really piled up.

Soapweed said:
Looks like money in the bank, right down to the green color. :wink:

Umm, did you mean "money in the bunk"? Because before the "bank", the bovines begin by bingeing and begetting bunk stuff to beef before the bucks be in the bank, no? So, money in the bunk!! :wink:

burnt said:
Soapweed said:
Looks like money in the bank, right down to the green color. :wink:

Umm, did you mean "money in the bunk"? Because before the "bank", the bovines begin by bingeing and begetting bunk stuff to beef before the bucks be in the bank, no? So, money in the bunk!! :wink:

Did you just come up with that? :) I would have to have a couple more cups of bean juice before my brain will think that hard.

A neighbor told Dad once, "feed in the lot is like money in the bank".

In reality, it was the most expensive crop per acre we have ever had, BUT, one of the cheapest per ton.

I love chopping and 140 acres is moving on. Is that a 7800 deere chopper? We have and older 5830 but it gets the job done.

4Diamond said:
I love chopping and 140 acres is moving on. Is that a 7800 deere chopper? We have and older 5830 but it gets the job done.

I don't even know what size it is. It is a custom chopper from Herried, SD. They had a corn header that was 20 feet wide.

4Diamond said:
8 row head I assume. What was the yield? Was there just 1 chopper?

I was wrong, it was actually 132 acres and they told us the trucks hold 13 ton and we had 104 loads. So if they are correct - that is 1352 ton or 10.24 ton to the acre.

BRG said:
4Diamond said:

I was wrong, it was actually 132 acres and they told us the trucks hold 13 ton and we had 104 loads. So if they are correct - that is 1352 ton or 10.24 ton to the acre.

I know nothing about corn silage. (and most other things) what kinda moisture % is this done at?

BRG said:
4Diamond said:

That's impressive to do that much in a day.

littlejoe said:
BRG said:
4Diamond said:

I know nothing about corn silage. (and most other things) what kinda moisture % is this done at?

Good question. We are learning as we go, but I think somewhere around 60 to 65% moisture. We haven't taken a sample yet. We will let it ferment first then take a sample for feed value and moisture.

Thanks for the pictures, I love the smell of chopped silage. Seeing those pictures remind me of the time when i was a kid, we went to South Central SD in the mid 80's to help my grandparents with their cane chopping. Definitely was a new experience from this corn & soybeans guy and the one of the nights was topped off with suet pudding....YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY!

Over here we would have put plastic on the sides so you would not lose good feed because of rot.
Yields around here go from 35 to 60 tons per hectare with about 32 % dry matter.
Harvest is just about to start now and prices per hectare are €1500-1800.

jopie said:
Over here we would have put plastic on the sides so you would not lose good feed because of rot.
Yields around here go from 35 to 60 tons per hectare with about 32 % dry matter.
Harvest is just about to start now and prices per hectare are €1500-1800.

Most everyone around here used to do that and cover it as well with plastic. But in the winter it becomes a pain the the butt with the snow and ice building up on top of it. Plus several had the plastic rip due to the strong winds we get. So we take the little bit of loss and move forward. A neighbor sealed their pile with corn syrup. It isn't priced to bad, we will see how that works, and maybe next year we will do that.

Ok , we put plastic on top as well( thought everyone would do that) and trow 20 cm of sand on it, no loss at all but you are right, in the winter its difficult, our winters ain't that tough.

We tried plastic around the sides last year but didn't notice much difference. I think it is harder to get the sides packed for us anyway.

Hey BRG got any coons digging through your pile yet? We was going to cover ours but decided not to. Glad we didn't the coons are digging in it pretty good. We haven't put a pencil to silage but what do you figure per ton cost if you don't mind me asking?

I have figured out what you mean by little ones not sleeping especially last nite :wink: :wink:

have a cold one

lazy ace

We used to put plastic on the pile and then hold down the plastic with 2 rows of bales. By the time you figured all the spoilage to the hay from all the water running of into the hay I decided to not cover it the last couple of years. Our irriagated corn usually makes between 23 and 25 tons per acre. Never really figured the cost per ton but I've always heard it's worth 10 times the price of corn in the pile if you were to sell it.

Prices of cornsilage from last year are about € 50 per ton franco( I don't know if that is an English word but it means brought on the farm)

lazy ace said:
We tried plastic around the sides last year but didn't notice much difference. I think it is harder to get the sides packed for us anyway.

Hey BRG got any coons digging through your pile yet? We was going to cover ours but decided not to. Glad we didn't the coons are digging in it pretty good. We haven't put a pencil to silage but what do you figure per ton cost if you don't mind me asking?

I have figured out what you mean by little ones not sleeping especially last nite :wink: :wink:

have a cold one

lazy ace

Near as I can figure we have $222/acre into it and we got 10 ton/acre so that would be $22 ton as is. Which would be around $55/ton dry.

Latest posts