• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chores Feb 17

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Debbie is taking a trapping course and she has left me in charge at home (with a certain amount of trepidation :lol: ) It was a long day on 5.5 hours sleep.

Heifer calves waiting for their grain.
P2160708.jpg

An assortment of bull calves, odds and sods of steers and a couple of cull bulls.
P2160709.jpg

Last nights operation.
P2160710.jpg

Bull fight, we have had 3 calves since Dec 28 from cows bought as pairs last spring.
P2160711.jpg

Cows on the Big Meadow at home.
P2170712.jpg

Morrison Meadow assortment. The window reflects how I saw the day. :lol:
P2170713.jpg

Same cows, different angle.
P2170714.jpg

Couple of heifers
P2170715.jpg

181 wondering why I'm not cutting twine.
P2170716.jpg

Big Muddy rancher said:
Everything looks pretty ship shape. :D

But you only have had one day alone to mess things up. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope. I'm 3 days into it, at least she's still home at night to make supper. :wink:

End of next week I'll be totally abandoned when she goes to see our grandson for B'day Numero Deux. :shock:

It amazes me just how much we rely on our other halves, and just how much they do, with out ever seeming to really work at it. A couple weeks alone sure makes me appreciate just how much Lisa does do for ME!!!

sure looks winterish up there, compared to here. it's suppose to be 50 today, we'd be melting some snow if we had any. :)

your critters look to be in good condition, like always.

Justin said:
sure looks winterish up there, compared to here. it's suppose to be 50 today, we'd be melting some snow if we had any. :)

your critters look to be in good condition, like always.

Thanks Justin, we may curse the white stuff while we are dealing with it but it will look good running across the meadows when it melts. 2002 we had almost no snow, cows stayed out until the first week of February and the following year we needed the hay we saved.

This winter has been a mild one for here also.

Looks like home, covered in white as far as the eye can see :) . The calving part also looks like home. It looks like you've got it all under control without your boss home, that's great she had a chance to get away before your really start calving :wink: :D .

WyomingRancher said:
Looks like home, covered in white as far as the eye can see :) . The calving part also looks like home. It looks like you've got it all under control without your boss home, that's great she had a chance to get away before your really start calving :wink: :D .

I hope she's not going to be gone THAT long! :shock: :lol:

PATB said:
Do you see much improvement in your hay meadows where you roll out and feed hay?

Yes, the first summer after feeding heavy on a predetermined area there is very little that comes up on our swamp meadows but the following 8 to 10 years there is a significant difference in quality and tonnage.

The MM cows are being fed on a pasture that was brush-cut the year before we bought it in attempt to kill out the brush that is coming back and establish a better growth of grass.

An Alberta rancher told me about 10 years ago that at that time a cow would replace $.07 worth of nutrients backinto the soil per day. That figure would be larger today.

gcreekrch said:
PATB said:
Do you see much improvement in your hay meadows where you roll out and feed hay?

Yes, the first summer after feeding heavy on a predetermined area there is very little that comes up on our swamp meadows but the following 8 to 10 years there is a significant difference in quality and tonnage.

The MM cows are being fed on a pasture that was brush-cut the year before we bought it in attempt to kill out the brush that is coming back and establish a better growth of grass.

An Alberta rancher told me about 10 years ago that at that time a cow would replace $.07 worth of nutrients backinto the soil per day. That figure would be larger today.

i've heard from some(that buy most of their hay), that when you figure what a cow puts back into the soil on those feeding areas, they're basically feeding their cows for free. there is alot of value in what comes out the back end of those cows.

gcreekrch said:
PATB said:

Keep us posted on your success. :D

Your cows sure are in good shape.
Have they just been eating swamp hay all winter?
If so, you MUST tell me your secret! They look awesome!

Do you have many c-sections during calving? What was the malfunction with that cow?

Good luck with calving this year!

jillaroo said:
Your cows sure are in good shape.
Have they just been eating swamp hay all winter?
If so, you MUST tell me your secret! They look awesome!

Do you have many c-sections during calving? What was the malfunction with that cow?

Good luck with calving this year!

Our cows had tubs until the rustling got covered up. All they have had since is our own hay.
As you are no doubt aware, there are swamps and then there are swamps. :wink: Most of this feed will test between 8 and 11% protein and in the high 50's to mid 60's for TDN. We try to put up no poor quality feed, if the weather is not good we turn to wrapping bales instead of baling black hay.
The mature cows are fed about 32 lbs per day on average. We have had them clean up over 40 lbs during a prolonged cold spell.
Heifers and young cows will clean up close to 30 lbs.

That was the first C-section we have done on one of our cows in several years. This one had all 4 feet pointing at the cow's spine and was the sure way to end up with a live calf.

Other than a few more results of a managerial malfunction we aren't due to start calving until April 10. Last year we were 15% done before we started. :lol:

OH! OH! OH! I forgot to add...... GOOD GENETICS!!!! :lol:

Latest posts