• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Christmas Blizzard

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have very little accumulation, but still getting some good wind. I hope all you and your Families have safe travels. What a special time of year, to get to be toghether. My mom was going to drive up to my brother's, from the Denver area, for Christmas and come on to here Christmas evening. I haven't heard an update yet. Just fixing to call, I sure hope she can make it, we don't get to see her very often. Merry Christmas everyone, May Your Hearts be filled with Memories, Love and Joy.

Second day no REA.... Poles busted off, a skiff of snow and windy.. Son's christamas pageant tonight, we won't be going.. The children do the christmas service at the church and is always really nice... Kinda in a funk right now... I guess I should be happy it could be much worse... :(

Knock on wood we haven't lost power. Cody lost it for awhile last night and we lost it south of Nenzel at the inlaws while we were exchanging gifts. Reminded me of the old days when power outages weren't such a big deal. We just pulled the jeep up so that the lights shined through the picture window and kept going like nothing happened. Not making light of the situation, but being with out power was never a big deal growing up. My mom had an oil lamp collection so we lit lamps and drew water from the windmill in the corral. We had a gas oven so mom could still cook. There was nothing we could do about it so we just made the best of the situation. Biggest difference is I don't remember running out of power as much in the winter as it did in the summer. Wouldn't have mattered much, back then we had a freestanding gas stove that heated the house, the only thing electric was the blower.

garn said:
Plain rain here tonight and most of tomorrow, changing to snow late in the day. The NWS is calling for 9-12 inches of snow from tomorrow night-Saturday, much more snow in Western Iowa & NW Iowa

Northern Iowa is a mess tonight with freezing rain.

Hate not being able to go home from Christmas, but getting back to the Des Moines area Friday night for the in-law's Christmas on Saturday which is iffy at best would've been a major pain, if not impossible.

Well the cold could be heading your way Garn...22 Below here this morning- and 29 Below just up the river..Windchills of -40 to -50...
And they say this stuff is moving east with the bitter cold to be out of here by Sunday or Monday...
I see ND is under a blizzard warning now- and the entire midwest from Canada to Texas is under some kind of watch or warning.....Either Blizzards or Floods :shock:

6 degrees this Christmas morning,no kids up yet,got the fire roaring,enjoying some coffee,very peaceful right now,MERRY CHRISTMAS Ranchers!!!!!! :cboy: :) :santa:

-4F here with 23mph wind. Wind chill is about -28. Wife and kids are still sleeping, I'm enjoying a cup of coffee before heading out to start the day. :cboy: :santa: :santa:

Cedarcreek said:
-4F here with 23mph wind. Wind chill is about -28. Wife and kids are still sleeping, I'm enjoying a cup of coffee before heading out to start the day. :cboy: :santa: :santa:

Yep-- I was looking at the state map- and seeing a lot of temps to the south warmer than us (Billings is 10 Above)....Everything north of the Missouri is still pretty frigid....-20 with 10 mph NW wind making a chill factor of near -40 again....
Beautiful clear sky with the sun shining....

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! And Merry Christmas to you all.

Got a big kettle of beef stew on the stove, lots of wood ready for the woodstove, the kerosene lamps are ready and the water bucket is filled in case the power goes off again.

The grandkids from across the creek will be coming to spend the day playing cards and eating Christmas goodies as soon as the feeding is done.

Sure can't complain. Even with the raging blizzard, we are so much better off than Mary and Joseph were two thousand years ago.

Stay warm!

+30 here today, 10 to 12 inches snow, my wife says its snowman snow. looks like the dakota's are getting it now, betcha caint see out there in all that open. merry christmas.

Liberty Belle said:
BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! And Merry Christmas to you all.

Got a big kettle of beef stew on the stove, lots of wood ready for the woodstove, the kerosene lamps are ready and the water bucket is filled in case the power goes off again.

The grandkids from across the creek will be coming to spend the day playing cards and eating Christmas goodies as soon as the feeding is done.

Sure can't complain. Even with the raging blizzard, we are so much better off than Mary and Joseph were two thousand years ago.

Stay warm!

Merry Christmas to you LB. has your power stayed on over there? we haven't lost ours yet, sounds like some neighbors to the north did, not sure if they are still out. nothing we haven't seen before i guess

VB RANCH said:
+30 here today, 10 to 12 inches snow, my wife says its snowman snow. looks like the dakota's are getting it now, betcha caint see out there in all that open. merry christmas.

You're fortunate. This dang thing has backed over us more than we hoped it would. Our temp has gone up to 7F but the wind is raging and visibility is about 50 yards here.

You're fortunate. This dang thing has backed over us more than we hoped it would. Our temp has gone up to 7F but the wind is raging and visibility is about 50 yards here.

It will get worse. I parked the tractor at noon. When I got out I stood next to the building thinking "I sure wish I could see the house" Visibility might be 50 feet here and I am on the south side of the creek. On the other side I don't think you could see the tractor bucket.

Justin - we still have power but sounds like most of the country around Indian Creek was without electricity all morning. We've been left in the dark so often here that I don't have any faith in the electricity staying on, but we'll enjoy it while it stays on.

Right now we're watching college wrestling on TV, eating popcorn and drinking hot chocolate. If the power goes off we'll light the lamps and play cards and have a Merry Christmas anyway.

Doug Thorson said:

It will get worse. I parked the tractor at noon. When I got out I stood next to the building thinking "I sure wish I could see the house" Visibility might be 50 feet here and I am on the south side of the creek. On the other side I don't think you could see the tractor bucket.

Well, you just had to be right Doug!! It's gotten worse and stayed that way all afternoon. Visibility has been 50 feet at best most all afternoon.

It's getting worse here too. The guys got the calves fed and then needed the tractor to haul the grandkids home because we have zero visability and the thermometer is dropping like a rock. Both the wood stove upstairs and the corn stove in the basement are working overtime. The wind is blowing hard and the snow drifts are building up fast.

Wish Al Gore would drop in for a little Christmas visit. I've got something I want to discuss with him....... :evil:

Well- hope is sort of on the way....Temp rose- got almost to 0 today- but as it rose so did the wind...4 Below now with a 25-35 mph NW wind- which puts the chill factor back around 40 Below- and dang sure makes it feel much colder...

Weather boys are predicting another night of 20 Below with 10-15mph wind :(

Not as bad here as what the weather geeks were thinking yesterday afternoon. Des Moines was on the far eastern edge of the storm, will probably end up with close to 5 inches of snow here by the time it quits tomorrow. Both my wife and I were awaken around 4ish this morning to the sounds of sleet and/or freezing rain hitting our window.

garn said:
Not as bad here as what the weather geeks were thinking yesterday afternoon. Des Moines was on the far eastern edge of the storm, will probably end up with close to 5 inches of snow here by the time it quits tomorrow. Both my wife and I were awaken around 4ish this morning to the sounds of sleet and/or freezing rain hitting our window.

Yeah, the dang thing back over us instead!!

Richard Doolittle said:
garn said:

Yeah, the dang thing back over us instead!!

Sorry! Just remember that I had my own blizzard a couple of weeks ago :wink:

If it makes ya feel any better, i've got family who live in South Central South Dakota!

Latest posts