• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Christmas poem from Jingles

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
Different kind of team

I got a call here a while back
from some place they said was the "pole"
they was lookin' for fellers with teamster skills
that hadn't quit teams for tractors and lost their soul

I 'told 'em "yeah I can drive
two on up to a bunch, I'd have to confess
Tho' I ain't been doin it now for the past few years
but, like ridin' a bike you don't ever forget I'd guess"

I asked 'em how much the pay would be
'cause ranchin' ain't been payin all that much
And if they supplied board and bed and health
and maybe some beef and travel expenses and such

They told me what the job would be
I'd only have to work just one night a year
They'd pay all the freight, both back and forth
But I'd have to be able to drive some high powered kind'a deer

Thats when I told 'em, heck no!
I'd drive Belgians or Percherons of course
But I sure as hell wasn't gonn'a drive no dang deer
I'd got into some terrible wrecks, just tryin' to drive a horse

And them deer gott'a be way wilder than horses
You've probably heard, ain't nuthin' runs like a deer
My 'ol broke team is bad enough, after six months of rest
Can you imagine, a team of eight, and only drove just once a year! :shock:

I'm not real big on this holiday, as people seem to get too caught up in the wrong part of it to me. I might enjoy it more if people would quit celebrating until about December 20th or so and follow thru' until January 10 th or thewre abouts. So I ain't never written very many. Glad you all enjoyed it.

I'm still waitin' for another one from Saddle Tramp.

When we were coming back from SD I saw the neatest decoration on a house in Belle Fourche, I think it was. It was very simple with a big star and it read:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS

That's the best decoration I think I have ever seen. So simple, yet so very profound.

Faster horses said:
When we were coming back from SD I saw the neatest decoration on a house in Belle Fourche, I think it was. It was very simple with a big star and it read:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS

That's the best decoration I think I have ever seen. So simple, yet so very profound.

Yup, now THATS what it's all about! :)

Nice one JB :!: I'm with you, when we went into town before Halloween for something and the stores were putting out the Christmas stuff just teed me off. Seems everyone has forgotten what this is all about. Oh yeah and now we can't say Merry Christmas, has to be PC and Happy Holidays, can't have a Christmas tree only a Holiday tree. MY A$$. :mad: At least the foot of white stuff outside makes it look like it should be Christmas :lol:

I got an e-mail from the American Family Association and it looks like some of these stores are re-thinking the Holiday Tree bit and going back to calling it a Christmas Tree, etc.

Walgreens said their flyers were all printed, but next year they would be Christmas Trees. Same with Lowes, etc. AFA was asking that we e-mail Sears/KMart, because they would probably change their names back to include Christmas.

We can make a difference, we just need to set up a howl that can be heard.

This American Family Association is a good group. They have a website where you can subscribe for free and recieve updates of things that are planned. Some of them are very good to know...and they make it easy to protest things like taking Christ out of Christmas.

www.afa.net

You might want to check it out.

Nice poem Jinglbob,and I believe you are right,retailers have commercialized Xmas for sure................good luck

I suppose I'm just getting cranky in my old age, but I try not to show it! Too much! But hell, I figure i'm among friends here. Weeelll, at least a few friends? :???:

I get tired of the "we have to give to them because they might give to us" and "the more you spend the more you care for someone".

I'm a firm believer that if you want to give someone something, you shouldn't have to wait until Christmas. Presents under the tree are nice and I sure appreciate the thought, but I ain't a little kid and I would like a nice letter from someone or something handmade waaayyy more. I'm just a cranky ol' SOB I guess! :lol:

Something that someone took the time to MAKE.
Not buy, MAKE.

Cowhands aren't known for their riches, so for the past few years since I've been home raising kids and we've been living on a single income, this is the route I've gone. Time I have, money is a bit tight...

This year I went with quilts. 4'x5' snuggling on the couch size. (Or draped over my grandmas' laps size). Patriotic prints for my brother and sis-in-law who are moving to Ireland this spring...

Invariably, I get to the last couple of weeks before Christmas and am going nuts trying to find that time I supposedly have. :p

theHiredMansWife said:
Something that someone took the time to MAKE.
Not buy, MAKE.

Cowhands aren't known for their riches, so for the past few years since I've been home raising kids and we've been living on a single income, this is the route I've gone. Time I have, money is a bit tight...

This year I went with quilts. 4'x5' snuggling on the couch size. (Or draped over my grandmas' laps size). Patriotic prints for my brother and sis-in-law who are moving to Ireland this spring...

Invariably, I get to the last couple of weeks before Christmas and am going nuts trying to find that time I supposedly have. :p

Thats what I'm talking about! :twisted:

I had a friend of mine who does leatherwork make my wife and kids all chinks last year probaly the only gifts they got that lasted..

We put together meat boxes for our relatives a few years ago we thought maybe they were sick of those and bought gifts boy they were all dissappointed.We now give meat boxes again.

Denny said:
I had a friend of mine who does leatherwork make my wife and kids all chinks last year probaly the only gifts they got that lasted..

We put together meat boxes for our relatives a few years ago we thought maybe they were sick of those and bought gifts boy they were all dissappointed.We now give meat boxes again.

Good idea Denny!

I make several pairs of chinks every year for surrounding folks. Just had a young lady and her boyfriend here yesterday for a fitting. Now I just got to build them! :x

Good poem JB. My son applied for a job driving sleigh at lake Louise Alberta for the winter but took a job in the oil patch. More money. He thinks it would have been a fun job but can only work for little pay for so long. He does enjoy driving his team but hasn't had much time this past year.

Latest posts