• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CIDRs and natural service

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
I am going to synchronize my heifers this year and use bulls to breed them. From my research I have concluded that I can put in CIDRs for seven days. On the seventh day I can pull CIDRs , give a shot of Lutalyse and put the bulls out. Anyone see any problems with this protocol? Thanks

Better have alot of bulls for the ones that cycle we've had upwards of 80% in heat at the same time in yearling heifers.

Denny said:
Better have alot of bulls for the ones that cycle we've had upwards of 80% in heat at the same time in yearling heifers.
Most of what I read says 20 to 25 heifers per bull. Not yearling bulls, but proven breeders. So are you suggesting there is a better protocol for synchronizing the heifers?

Make sure you've got plenty of bull power. You can also reuse your CIDR after a 7 day use. The last couple years I did the 14 day plan and then mass bred them. The first year I got 61% but last year I only got 45% conception. I think this year I'm just going to use bulls.

rem_243 said:
Denny said:
Most of what I read says 20 to 25 heifers per bull. Not yearling bulls, but proven breeders. So are you suggesting there is a better protocol for synchronizing the heifers?

That means each bull needs to breed about 20 heifers a day. Not sure they have that many swimmers to go around.

I think it would be best not to give the shot. That should spread them out over 5 days instead of 2.

I haven't done it with cidars but I did it a few times with MGA. What I learned is make sure they are split with only 1 bull. Injuries will happen if you have more than 1. I used older bulls for 20 head and yearlings with 12.

I averaged 75% during the years I did it that way.

Doug Thorson said:
I think it would be best not to give the shot. That should spread them out over 5 days instead of 2.

I haven't done it with cidars but I did it a few times with MGA. What I learned is make sure they are split with only 1 bull. Injuries will happen if you have more than 1. I used older bulls for 20 head and yearlings with 12.

I averaged 75% during the years I did it that way.
So are the CIDRs going to synch them tighter than The MGA protocol? How many heifers per bull did you run?

Justin said:
rem_243 said:
Denny said:
Most of what I read says 20 to 25 heifers per bull.

for the season, yes..in 24 hours, i doubt it.
I had a neighbor that used 1:25 when he did this and got along fine. He fed MGA though. He got 50 percent bred in June the first ten days. Here is one of the articles that says 15 to 25 heifers per bull http://beefrepro.unl.edu/pdfs/naturalservice.pdf

We did this one year. Split the heifers into small groups of 6-10 and put a bull with them. Had 100% bred. Takes a lot of bull power and pens with water/feed. After awhile, none of this matters. I turn out the bulls and let nature take her course. It's best to spread calving out when dealing with late winter/early spring weather.

I used to give a shot of lutalyse, then I think it was as 10 days later another shot then kick bulls out. Usually on 50 hfrs I used 3 bulls but only allowing 2 at a time breed and rest one a day for the first 3 to 4 days.

So are the CIDRs going to synch them tighter than The MGA protocol? How many heifers per bull did you run?

I don't think cidars will tighten them up but the shot does.
If I had an older bull I run him with up to 20 heifers figuring he could average 3 a day. Yearlings were 10-12 heifers.

Latest posts