• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clarence: Vulture question.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
Clarence, We have 6 big brown with red headed birds roosting in our trees. They are vultures right? Do they just eat dead stuff? My son is worried about his 15 kittens. Can I assure him that hey won't bother them? What are they doing here? I walked the tree row with Ameego to see if there was something dead and didn't find anything. We have sheep to the north of us that get out and I thought one of them might have died. Any idea? Thanks in advance.....Katrina

We always have a few ugly turkey vultures around with the red wattles. There are some times in the year when they congregate and we might see 20 together.

One town down south had a problem with them roosting everywhere. So many it was smelly and dirty. They tried firing off guns and other things to get them to leave but I can't remember if anything actually worked.

One good thing about vultures- they remind you to not die.

Why don't you shoot one and roast it so you can tell us what it tastes like? :wink: I always wondered but couldn't get anyone to eat one and tell me. :cowboy:

Prolly tastes like chicken I bet. All wierd critters that become dinner, they say taste like chicken.

We have them here..they are buzzards. Usually wont kill anything to eat, just what's already dead. aka road kill....stuff like that. We do know that they won't touch a cow that's been struck by lightening, neither will coyotes. guess they dont like their meat partially cooked??? hehe

We also have what we call mexican buzzards...they look pretty much the same other than their heads not red, it's black, and they WILL kill calves. Soon as they are born they will peck out their eyes and after that pretty much the calf is a goner. Have heard of them killing the mama cow too but thank goodness we've never had that happen. but have lost two calves this year to them daggum thangs. They'll sit up in a tree and wait and watch a mama havin a calf, then attack. The last calf we lost, my dad n law drove up on em shortly after they'd killed it and he said there was some 40plus birds on that one poor lil calf.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I remember a poster from my college days. It was two buzzards sitting in a dead tree and it said " Patience my ass I'm going to kill something."

. . . and that was before there even was such a thing as r-calf . . . :x

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I remember a poster from my college days. It was two buzzards sitting in a dead tree and it said " Patience my ass I'm going to kill something."

. . . and that was before there even was such a thing as r-calf . . . :x

MLA. Your wit is working overtime today. Save a few for tomorrow! By the way, your friend in Macon Mississippi is only about 2 hours from me and we don't talk that way over here. :wink:

Mike, he might be closer than you think. He has connections with the guy that runs a redi-mix plant in both Macon and in a town just across the line in Alabama. Can't remember the name of the town though. Just started the Alabama plant up a few years ago.

This chap also runs a couple of catfish ponds. Seems to be doing O.K. with them but there are times that he's got his headaches with them. That seems to go with anything worthwhile, I guess.

Big Muddy rancher said:

I remember a poster from my college days. The caption read, "It's hard to remember the object was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your 'not nice' in alligators." Seems like it applied both then and now. :?

I believe the turkey vulture only feeds on carrion. They must have keen sense of smell, They must come from miles when there are dead snakes or rabbits that were killed on the roadways.

It seems they can even sense it when there is something sick or dying, and it seems like they just are waiting for it to happen. When I see one here I often wonder if they are watching me.

I think if the kittens are small and dont move to fast yet and are out in the open the vultures will pick at em till they are lunch. I dont think they will swoop down on them and carry them away like a hawk or eagle but if they get them trapped on the ground the kittens could be in trouble.

I talked with a neighbor that had a prolapsed cow killed by buzzards this spring. He went in for lunch while waiting on the vet to come fix her up and the buzzards got to her before he returned.
The darn things tend to roost in the trees around my place when I am calving. I try to run them off with a rifle shot whenever I can.

Clarence said:
It seems they can even sense it when there is something sick or dying, and it seems like they just are waiting for it to happen. When I see one here I often wonder if they are watching me.

Just keep steppin' lively, Clarence :)

Vulture Joke

A vulture walks into an airport with three dead raccoons in his mouth and heads for the boarding area. The ticketing agent stops him and says, "I'm sorry sir, but I can't let you on this flight with all those dead raccoons."

The vulture drops the raccoons and asks, "Why the heck not?"

And the ticketing agent says, "Because we only allow two carrion per passenger.

Latest posts