• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clarification on NH 688 baler problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tractorguy88

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to the people who gave me advice the first time i posted. I will try that stuff tomorrow. ANyways i thought i would explain better in detail what is happening and maybe i might give you some more clues. When the baler is twineing, it works normal until it gets towards the end and then will cycle back again like how it works when it starts to twine a bale. We know the original owner of the baler well and he said he would just pull the arms up and lock them in place to reset them, but it won't let the arms do that you have to let another cycle go through and then they will latch. My brother ran it today and said that he would watch the mechanism and let the tractor idle on the pto, and said everything looked good, but he's thinking maybe when the tractor is running at higher rpms when baling, this might be making something slip or something like something is broke like a spring or if something is out of adjustment bad. Our neighbor came over this morning and helped us a little since he has a 660, and said our twine wasn't exactly right through our tubes cuz he did the same thing as us and had the same problems. We thought that would fix it but i guess not. We are still wondering if it is the twine that is still causing it? DOes anyone have an idea?

We had a couple 688 and we had the same problem once. All we had to do was clean off and put some wd-40 on the latch that come around to catch the stop. It gets pushed forward and won't come back. Just get it loose and that should fix your problem.

Are you using sisal twine?

I have the same problem with both of my 688 balers if I use sisal twine, I think the twine pulls to hard from the roll.

I have no trouble with plastic

If you are having trouble resetting your twine arms, you may have the adjustment bolt to tight, should be able to reset when first twine cycle stops.

They are very good balers, one of mine has over 10,000 bales through it

the wd 40 on the latch mechanism is the best rout-- tension on twine needs to be backed off a bit for sisal

Latest posts