• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Class License for Trailer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aaron

Reaction score
This is a question I have been wondering about for quite some time and was reminded about when Bill Homans got ticketed for hauling the neighbors cows.

What is the license class required to pull, say a 20' steel cattle trailer, in your respective province? I am thinking MB/SK/AB here but other jurisdictions are welcome to chime in.

perfecho said:
Just an ordinary drivers license......if you haul for $$'s, you would need to register and insure as a commercial hauler.

The same here! As I understand we are Not Required to have a Commercial License to pull a Gooseneck but many people use Gooseneck to get their Commercial License (the easy way)

In Bring Cash we are required to have a Class 3 for any combination over 5500 kg or 25 ft. in length.

The other option is what they call a restriction 20 added to your class 5 licence.

Interesting. Keep it coming. In Ontario, you need a Class A/Class 1 for any trailer over 4400 kgs (9700 lbs), regardless if it is for personal hauling or commercial. The province did introduce a A(Restricted) license a couple of years ago to prevent people from getting a full A with their truck and stock trailer combination.

My MPP is looking for suggestions on legislative bills to construct and I thought it might be interesting to see if we could get Ontario to level the playing field. The only ones who get an exemption in this province are RV haulers.

Here you just need a regular Class 5. If you are over 75 years old and pulling a 3000' motor home or driving one and pulling a car and a boat behind you you are good to go. Add air brakes and you need at least a class 3 with an air endorsement.

RSL said:
If you are over 75 years old and pulling a 3000' motor home or driving one and pulling a car and a boat behind you you are good to go.

Boy ain't that the truth.....

4Diamond said:
RSL said:
If you are over 75 years old and pulling a 3000' motor home or driving one and pulling a car and a boat behind you you are good to go.

Boy ain't that the truth.....

I believe you also required to drive 5 mph under the speed limit and hug the center line as well. :p

Saskatchewan requires a class 3 for over 5500kg's.....not enforced very often. Requires a written test as well as road test pulling trailer.
A couple of years ago the DOT set up a checkstop at a major resort after a long weekend.......lots of big 5th wheel campers were forced to be unhooked & left behind. RV dealers did a landslide business dragging stranded trailers home. Must have been some political ramifications because haven't heard of enforcement since!

Here in the states, they don't have a clue as to what the law is, other then if you have a motor home, no matter how big it is, or what brakes it has, you don't need a CDL.
It was my understanding, a few years ago, that any gross combination of truck and trailer, over 21,000 pounds required a class A CDL. The last time I had a run in with the local DOT, I asked him, and he didn't have a clue. When I load my big stock trailer, I am grossing over 31,000. Can't axle, or tire it, but that is about what I weigh. As long as I stay in Nebraska, I have never been harassed, Colorado, Kansas, and South Dakota don't like it. Been told in South Dakota that I need a fuel permit. Kansas are just JERKS, and I hide from the Coloradoans.

Latest posts