• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cleanin out the tanks....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Thought we might as well clean out the tank bein's it's gettin so low. It's got more in it now than it had two months ago. May 20th we got 1 ¾ inches of rain….and that helped some, it caught quite a bit of water.

2011-05-26-091.jpg

2011-05-26-092.jpg

But not enough to save us. We are expecting the water well drillin folks any day now to show up with equipment to drill a waterwell. But if we don't get some serious rain soon…..we'll hafta unload all the cows.

You guys are still suffering through a tough drought. Over here in Lafayette it rained once during the entire month of May. The soybeans over here are really suffering.

Starting to rain back at the ranch in Venezuela so I'll be headed south shortly.

Good luck with filling that tank!

Sure feel for you. I know from your postings you care more for your animals than just the money.

It is hard for me to understand why we have already had way over a years rain and others can't catch a drop.

We are on a 4 day break from rain and we might get some planting done ( got stuck trying yesterday ). I would love to get to work this weekend but my son will have to carry on without me as I have to leave for an NRA class in Buffalo NY be back in a week. Probably going to miss the best weather so far this year.

I'd gladly share some of ours with you. It's been the wettest spring in years here, I guess we are in the same system as George down south of us there in Indiana.

If there was any way possible, Lilly, we'd sure ship you some moisture.

We've been in your situation more than once. It's not fun.

Just remember, every day that passes is a day closer to rain.
I sure hope you don't have to sell any of your livestock.

I know it...I see all that rain and flooding up north and just wish some of it could be diverted here. In a normal year....during our wet season Oct thru May we get in the neighborhood of 50 to 70 inches of rain. We've only had two measureable rains since last October....Once 1/4 inch...and then the 1 and 3/4 a couple weeks ago. Uhggggg. All we can do is pray for rain....and plan ahead. If we do hafta sell....we'll hold that and then buy replacements at a later date. I just don't wanna hafta do that tho...because we know what we have....we like what we have (for the most part) And they know us....I just hate the thought of having to cull a new herd for disposition etc.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I know it...I see all that rain and flooding up north and just wish some of it could be diverted here. In a normal year....during our wet season Oct thru May we get in the neighborhood of 50 to 70 inches of rain. We've only had two measureable rains since last October....Once 1/4 inch...and then the 1 and 3/4 a couple weeks ago. Uhggggg. All we can do is pray for rain....and plan ahead. If we do hafta sell....we'll hold that and then buy replacements at a later date. I just don't wanna hafta do that tho...because we know what we have....we like what we have (for the most part) And they know us....I just hate the thought of having to cull a new herd for disposition etc.

Yep, herd is down to 40% of what I had going into 2009. Probably can hold those on the grass I have now till mid July. Don't know about holding into August or September.

When I discuss with locals the irrigation system I installed at my place, they tend to say, "well then, doesn't matter if it rains or not, right?"

Most folks just don't have a clue how much water falls from the sky with even a short shower.

Few irrigation systems I've seen can ever take the place of a good old hard rain.

A person can irrigate all they want, but it's not as effective as rainfall
for growing forage. When you irrigate hay fields and then it rains, wow, you can watch the hay grow. Without rain, the fields will green up and then
kinda grow, but nothing like when it gets rained on. The lightening
is helpful to growing hay too.

I found out today that some Texas cattle from drought areas have
made it to eastern Montana already.

Whitewing said:
You guys are still suffering through a tough drought. Over here in Lafayette it rained once during the entire month of May. The soybeans over here are really suffering.

Starting to rain back at the ranch in Venezuela so I'll be headed south shortly.

You hanging out with them Swamp People? :lol: I would love to go out with them guys sometime.

Trinity man said:
Whitewing said:

You hanging out with them Swamp People? :lol: I would love to go out with them guys sometime.

I am Swamp People. :D

Oh...and if my post sounded like we were planning on using this well to irrigate...that wasn't my intention. It will only be used to water cattle. It'd be impossible to irrigate the pastures.

Praying for rain...we do have a 20% chance for Saturday thru Tuesday or so.

Latest posts