• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Clip or burn

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
So you guy's that sell bull's do you clip them or burn off the hair.If you burn it how is it done? I would rather not do either but presentation helps sell I think.

Both, but if you're not sure how to torch, or have seen it done , I'd stick with clipping, and clean up their heads, run their tops, pizzles and pull the tag and call it good, but its a free world!

I also do both. I clip the head, tail and belly and then run a branding torch over their back. The first time I did it that was what I was told to do so I went home and gave it a try. I probally didn't help the first ones but I think with a little practice I might make some of them look better.

C'mon guys, just pull the tags off, blow em' and sell em'. They are cattle and they don't need to be served flambe'. :) Do they?

I also have done both but,if you want to do alot of bulls in a short time torching is fast and you don't risk getting hurt as much as you are further way from the animal. But i prefer clipping they look smoother, I just finished a bull sale a couple of days ago it takes me varying times depending on the bull and hair you have to work with. When i get one or both of the buddies i custom fit with to do a bull sale we can clip as fast as torching. A prime example is this last sale 4 bulls and hour and we were taking our time and got lots of comments sale day the bulls were the best presented in the barn. As for blow and go concept why not peel the entire animal then, as the buyer won't be misguided by hair that falls out in summer.

Clip and burn, if it moves once clip it if it moves twice burn it. :wink: We always tell potential buyers if they don't like the bull look at the other side he might look better. :lol: :lol:

have a cold one

lazy ace

We always tell potential buyers if they don't like the bull look at the other side he might look better.

I hope you don't have a patent on that line! I bet some of my customers will hear that one too! :p :p 8)

We did ours a little different this year - it went smoother in the long run. A couple weeks before picture taking Darby torched in one chute, Sarah clipped the heads in another, I pulled tag. Then on picture day the head & brisket had a little regrowth. Darby cleaned up the top and tail and blended in the neck. As he would finish one, we'd reload his chute then Sarah, Don and I would take the finished one back to the bull pen and picture it. Most of the time we'd finish snapping and beable to pull any tag and help with a second clipper. ( or just stand around and "supervise" 8)

When we get the bulls to town the day before the sale, we blow them off good then sale day another quick once over with the blower - scotch comb takes care of any overnight tag.

I agree with Yanuck - torching is not something you want to try for the first time on picture day or sale day. One might practice on some culls. A blocking chute works a whole lot better than a regular chute.

Only one last thing to add - this process does test family ties and the bulls earn new names, especially if they are camera shy. :wink:

I would rather run a torch than clippers now that I have learned the correct way. I use a turbo torch, you can buy it from Sullivan's, that is about 1 1/2" diameter and about 10 " long with a curve in the middle.

It can burn them alot easier than a bigger torch, but it is more precise. I clip the head and brisket, then turn on the torch. I can get get one looking as good as a good clip job done in 20 to 30 minutes, for like a haltered consignment sale. A friend and I have been able to do a bull in about 10 minutes if things are really clicking, sometimes faster.

If your burning cows for a sale with hairy udders, remember to grab ahold of the tail so you can swat out the fire, otherwise they get a little wound up :D

People want to see bulls in their so-called working clothes :roll: of the high sellers i have had none of the them have been lean looking. Guys want to see lean bulls so they can get a good bull cheap. A bull needs a certin amount of flesh if he is going to be breeding hard. As long as the hair is thick they will not be adversely effected by cold more than a unclipped bull. Burn or clip as long as it it done right both can look good but from my experience clipping requires more talent to make a bull look better.

I know I hate to see bulls clipped that are sold in the middle of the winter.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR. It's hard on them when there is a lot of cold weather ahead.
Clipping them as late as Denny's sale is, wouldn't bother me.

I agree although a lot of bulls sold in mid-winter have moe than enough flesh to compensate. I clipped my bulls the last week in March.

EJ said:
Denny did you go to the Hanneken Sale?

No I was going to but had a wreck going that day at the farm and a 2 hour job lasted all day.I see they sold pretty well heard the bottom end bulls brought $1700.Top was $8250 I think.

We went last year but did'nt purchase anything.

Latest posts