• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Closing our post office

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We are officially on the list to have our post office shut down. The postal service plans to close around 3000 offices. Ours is open part time and we all have P.O. boxes there. It is a place to buy stamps, mail packages and visit. While it probably doesnt make money, it is just one more way rural America continues to decline. We will be fine without a post office. I'll bet some on here do not have one presently. Are any of ya'll on the list as well?

closing post offices list 2011 - Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=closing+post+offices+list+2011&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I'm sorry - Link does not take to the same place I was at...

Ours is ok for now, but one that is not far from the ranch is on the list. The town only has little over 100 people in it, but covers a large area.

Check out the ones in DC. I see Obama walking to the post office now. :lol:

It is to bad that they can't run this like a business and save some money and keep them open. Example - Our small town of 450 people doesn't allowed to sort their own mail, it has to be shipped 120 miles away and then back. So if I mail a letter to my neighbor 1 mile down the road, it has to travel 240 miles and an extra day.

I've never understood why people in town get their mail delivered
for free, as do the rural people on a mail route. But those of us
who have a PO Box have to pay box rent. :???:

We had a hunter from Minnesota who worked for the Post Office (Union).
They were timed and if they couldn't get a certain amount of
mail sorted in a certain amount of time, the PO had to hire another
person. They were not allowed to sort the mail faster. :?
And he was a mailman who delivered mail to residences...they
were not allowed to cut across lawns to save time; had to
always use the sidewalk. No wonder the post office is broke.
The Govm't has no idea how to make a PROFIT.

How do you find out what post offices are closing? I can't seem
to find it. Thanks.

dang! looks like every small town in 40 miles of me is losing the post office.
makes me happy, looks like a govt. withdrawl from the area

I was sure that ours would be on the list but it isn't. Quinn and Wall are only 5 miles apart. I would really like to be on a Philip route just because we have a Philip phone#, pay taxes there and the kids go to school there.

Faster horses said:
Texline is not on the list ...for now LOL Dalhart is 40 miles away.
We get a choice of the 2 smallest boxes since there is no delivery. Now if you want a bigger box you have to pay but they only charge you less the smaller box charge. If you live outside the "city" limits LOL you have to pay.

I dont get how the everyday guy can not see that Governemnt always cuts where it will upset the loudest people.......
People have gotten so lazy they wont even do a little bit of research....but will spend hours clicking on "plots" in farmville :roll: :roll:
Yes I play a couple of the games but I also research .....
Oh well I have more pressing issues I need to worry about ....Biggest one is how to stay safe at work.

Here's you list FH.

http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/expandedaccess/statelist.htm

It looks like most of the post offices in Sheridan county are being closed and it will all have to go to the new post Office in Plentywood which won't have a enough boxes and need to be expanded.

Faster horses said:

I agree!
If you live with in a mile of the PO here you must have and pay for a PO Box... - everyone else get Free Mail Delivered.

Our Post Ofice is on the list, too. (Musselshell). We HAVE to rent a P.O. Box because we live 16 mi from the Post Office and our mail gets delivered to our mailbox (3 mi down the road) on M-W-F. I hate it when we are looking for a box and get a note in our mailbox to come to the Post Office to pick it up :( Gas ain't cheap :(

Latest posts