• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cobett waterers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kbar2

Reaction score
Started trenching a new water line on Sunday & when i get to the end I considered puttin in a Cobett energy free drinker. can anyone help me out with the pros & cons of one?

I have put in 4 of the Cobbett waterers. Very few problems. Won't freeze till below zero wind chill with no livestock on them. At 20 below zero you get about an inch of ice to break in the morning. If the sun is out the waterer will stay open all day and melt the ice. Only problem I have had is dirt moving away from the waterers without concrete around them. Best thing I have found to use if ground asphalt around them. It tends to pack in and stay better. Just put 3 manure buckets of dirt around one yesterday.

I have put in 4 of the Cobbett waterers. Very few problems. Won't freeze till below zero wind chill with no livestock on them. At 20 below zero you get about an inch of ice to break in the morning. If the sun is out the waterer will stay open all day and melt the ice. Only problem I have had is dirt moving away from the waterers without concrete around them. Best thing I have found to use if ground asphalt around them. It tends to pack in and stay better. Just put 3 manure buckets of dirt around one yesterday.

I put 3 in last year and would say that I like them. Depending on your situation and how many head, ice buildup around the waterer could be a problem. I had about 125 calves drinking around the one last year and had to gouge and salt around it once so they could get a drink easier. I love the ease of cleaning. One thing my dealer said is that you lose 25% of the heating efficiency the first year because of loose dirt so if you know of someone with a hydraulic tamper, borrow it. Mine were put in with a hydrant live, shutoff and then HDE (Cammack) pipe over to the Cobett, 20-40 feet away. I put the 8 footers in and cut a hole through the side for the pipe. I like the live hydrant when I am cleaning them and if anything ever happens I still have a way to water cattle.

Is there any new reports on these? How well would one work in nw Kansas? We don't get near as cold as most of you on here I know. Just seeing if there was any updates on them.

We have installed four in the last three or four years and will put in more. This week has been in single digits and windy. They will freeze a little on top. Easy to open up and the valve will never freeze as it is very deep in the drinker. They come with a lid. We have never covered any of ours even when not in use. when you want to use it the ice is easily broken.

We have had a LOT of other "freeze proof" drinkers and have gotten rid of all of them. I could live with the various types of lids, balls, etc. freezing but when the valves freeze everyday in four or five different pastures you got your work cut out for ya. We also have put in quite a few tires. Yes, the surface freezes. But, installed properly the valves never freeze. Huge improvement.

I got a hydraulic tamper you can borrow if you want it. Have adapters to run it off of the skid steer.

Latest posts