• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cold and windy today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Snowwondertheyrecoldandhungry.jpg

Snow wonder they're cold and hungry
Groceriesforthegirls.jpg

Groceries for the girls
Freezinforareason.jpg

Freezin' for a reason
Snowingandblowing.jpg

Snowing and blowing

I have'nt seen bare ground since November around here now that were calveing it cold and snowy.But the snow will help insure a good grass season so I wont complain betterr than a drought.

It was windy here the last couple of days so I've been feeding along the woods edge.I have also unrolled some 4 year old swamp grass in the woods clearings that keeps the calves warm and out of the wind.

Think we have Soapweeds weather today that he had yesterday. Sure is windy,lots cooler and just a few snow flurries here in central KS. Not bad out of the wind though. Best go check the calving cows and do some tagging or else I won't be able to catch them by evening! :lol:

If any of you South Dakotans or Nebraskans find an American flag with two brass hooks on it- its probably mine...Thursday when the wind was gusting 50+ mph out of the northwest it wore thru the rope and disappeared...I looked for a couple miles down the river and the creek with no luck- probably went up into the stratosphere with rentry planned for the mid west :wink:

Was calm and cool (15) this morning- but now the wind is howling about 30mph again...Forecast is for a couple warm days (45) and then a two week cold spell- with highs in the teens and lows around 0......

Heifers are just about to start calving so pretty sure the weather's going to go to pot.

Cal said:
Heifers are just about to start calving so pretty sure the weather's going to go to pot.

Yep- Thats when they come--now this afternoon the weather boys are saying this could turn into a full fledged artic front moving down from Hudsons Bay with highs around 0 and lows around 20 below- and snow...

I spent a few days last week over at my neighbors helping him move his yearling heifers, sort, haul, and sell them...His bred heifers were just starting to calve...Daughters of Lead On bred to Image Maker- nice looking heifers and nice little calves out of them- I think the biggest he had so far was 74 lbs with most around 70-...Has a set of twins out of a heifer- heifer calf weighed 50 and the bull calf, 55- sure cute little things- can just zip right under their mommas belly....

Oldtimer said:
Cal said:

Yep- Thats when they come--now this afternoon the weather boys are saying this could turn into a full fledged artic front moving down from Hudsons Bay with highs around 0 and lows around 20 below- and snow...

I spent a few days last week over at my neighbors helping him move his yearling heifers, sort, haul, and sell them...His bred heifers were just starting to calve...Daughters of Lead On bred to Image Maker- nice looking heifers and nice little calves out of them- I think the biggest he had so far was 74 lbs with most around 70-...Has a set of twins out of a heifer- heifer calf weighed 50 and the bull calf, 55- sure cute little things- can just zip right under their mommas belly....
OT, I am plum happy to hear that that combo of you neighbor's is getting nice little calves. Our heifers are bred to Image Maker as well. Had one that had a set of twins last night that were kind of early, but was a Lead On daughter bred to Image Maker. The heifer couldn't have been nicer to handle, and seems like she has plenty of milk, but thinking her teats might get a little too big as she ages--maybe not too bad, though.

Latest posts