• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cold night here at our place.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Freezing cold here tonight,all the cows were down the sides of the hills just before dark. Put some round bales out for them, noticed the new borns huddled up against them,thankfully only have one Brahman calf born so far.
Its supposed to snow in the next two days down to 600 metres,which is very low an altitude for Australia,we are at 1,000 metres,have had sleet yesterday and today and having a bit now as I type.
We could do with the moisture as it is still very dry.
Colin

Well hope you get some moisture, I was talking to some friends around Dubbo (Warren) a couple of weeks ago and said they were as dry as ever. Sure has been a tough haul the last 3 years for you guys. Cattle prices should still be high for you guys though?

Are you near Armidale? I worked with a bloke from there, and he said they would get some snow every once in a while. How often have you seen it?

Best of luck, take care.

We are about 200 ks north of Armidale (about 2 hours drive) It was 21 years ago since a big fall of snow happened here and extended up into southern Queensland. I lived down in the Clarence valley at that time,it was unusual to see white scattered along the normally blue looking ranges.
There was light flakes in Grafton were I lived at the time.
Its blowy again here this morning with grey snow clouds about but nothing yet.
Colin

Please keep us posted on the ins and outs of ranching down under = = = I would love to tour your country for about a year working for different types of ranches - - but then I would need a way for things to be taken care of here.
I have tried to retire several times but then my wife says it just doesn't stick. I get real nervous if I'm not in the thick of something. My father was killed when I was 9 and I had to grow up real fast - - then the Marine Corp put the finishing touches on growing up so I never did learn to enjoy myself if I wasn't totaly involved in some productive work.

You sound like a working type of man, George. You may have to "work" at slowing down, too! :)

I'm with ya on taking that trip down under. It is one of the few places in the world I would like to see someday.

I hope you get that trip made.

George said:
Please keep us posted on the ins and outs of ranching down under = = = I would love to tour your country for about a year working for different types of ranches - - but then I would need a way for things to be taken care of here.
I have tried to retire several times but then my wife says it just doesn't stick. I get real nervous if I'm not in the thick of something. My father was killed when I was 9 and I had to grow up real fast - - then the Marine Corp put the finishing touches on growing up so I never did learn to enjoy myself if I wasn't totaly involved in some productive work.
When I was in practice I would tell my patients "When your Profession or your Job INTERFERES with what you REALLY want to do - - RETIRE!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts