• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cold Sores

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The amino acid L-Lysine in tablet form on your health food store shelf is supposed to help with cold sores. I don't remember where or how I got that information!

keep sipping water, keep it moist, and wait it out. It'll sting when you get tomatoes or ketchup in it. Just speaking from experience. Just got over one too.

Tibbs: You could try the old Texas home remedy of using fresh horse **** as a salve; doesn't do much for the cold sores but does stop you from licking your lips.............. and it will definately keep you from spreading your cold sores on to the opposite sex! :twisted: :lol:

Denny said:
TXTibbs said:
Any good home remedies or suggestions for cold sores?

Quit kissen on all those girl's south of the border....

That was going tobe you responce several houes ago when you made this post But at 22 my Dad says his little girl should not Know such things ... Ha :)

GrandMa - - >Dad has used "Camphophenique" on them - Drys them up quick - I pasted this on a College and It works.

Ask your pharmacist for a tube of Zovirax, it's cream, bitter as all git out, but it works. Also get you some lactinex tablets, they keep em in the fridge in the pharmacy. They will help you NOT get em.
with the zovirax, if you can catch it when it first starts, put that stuff on there real regular, it'll be really small and go away fairly quick.
Both these are things my dentist told me to use, and they WORK!!!!

Put in a chew of Copenhagen, squeeze a little juice out, and let it cover the cold sore for a while. It will burn, but it helps dry them out pretty quick.

The moment you are aware that you are getting one, such as the realization of a tingling bump on your lip.... use a q-tip and dab on some real strong calogne or after shave. Do this several times throughout the day to dry it out. It really works. Each dabbing session should last several minutes. It is a good suggestion to protect the healthy part of your lips with a generous apllication of lip balm. OR you could go out and buy that real expensive stuff from the store.

John SD said:
The amino acid L-Lysine in tablet form on your health food store shelf is supposed to help with cold sores. I don't remember where or how I got that information!

As a nurse, i have to agree with John SD....L-Lysine works for my 18 year old......he gets them once a year and they are pretty painful, and the l-lysine helps them go away alot faster!!! Best of luck, Tibbs!!! :D

theHiredMansWife said:
My four year old gets them fairly often, too.
The OTC Abreva works really well. It must burn a bit because she always complains, but it's better than letting it get big and ugly and taking a week or better to go away.

not to mention that Abreva is a whole lot cheaper than Zovirax or any of the other antivirals!!! :D Good luck, Tibbs!!

I. Definition:

Herpes simplex is commonly referred to as cold sores or fever blisters. It is a viral infection of the skin that may occur once or return again and again. This is because when the virus is cleared from the skin by the immune system it hides in the nerves and is never completely removed from the body. Herpes infections are very common. It is estimated that nine out of ten people have been exposed to herpes. Many people are infected and don't even know it. Unfortunately those who carry herpes can spread the disease without even knowing it.

Herpes simplex begins as a group of small red bumps that blister. Sometimes this is preceded by itching and burning of the area. The blisters begin to dry up after a few days and form a yellow crust. The crust then falls off and the redness slowly goes away. The whole process takes about 10-14 days. Scars rarely form. Some people experience just some itching or burning in the area while most people have no symptoms at all.

II. Causes:

* There are two kinds of herpes virus, type 1 and type 2. Type 1 virus causes 60% of the cold sores so common on the lips and face. The other 40% of cases are caused by type 2. On the genitalia these percentages are reversed, that is 40% of genital herpes cases are caused by type 1 and 60% of cases are caused by type 2.
* Herpes simplex is transmitted by sexual contact, kissing, or other close contact. Family members should not share towels or linen with someone who has an outbreak of herpes on the genitalia or cold sores. Herpes can spread from person to person even when an infected individual has no outbreak or symptoms.
* Once you have herpes simplex type 1, you cannot be reinfected with the type 1 virus. You can however be infected with the type 2 virus.
* Fever, sun exposure and menstruation can act as trigger factors, which cause the virus to travel down the nerves to the skin and cause the outbreak known as herpes or cold sores.
* Herpes simplex is caused by the herpes hominis virus.

III. Treatment:

* A drug called acyclovir is effective in treating herpes simplex. It must be taken by mouth. There is a cream form, which is basically a waste of money because it only shortens an outbreak from 14 days to 12-13 days and it is expensive.
* For the first attack of herpes simplex, acyclovir needs to be taken for 7-10 days. For recurrent attacks, acyclovir works best when taken as soon as you feel burning, or tingling in the area. Acyclovir only shortens the outbreaks - it does not prevent new outbreaks from occurring unless taken continuously. Acyclovir should not be taken if you are pregnant, unless approved by your obstetrician.
* The area should be washed twice a day with a mild soap, such as Dove or Basis.
* Apply Polysporin ointment to the area once or twice a day to prevent bacterial infection.
* Some authorities recommend using L-Lysine 500 mg, an amino acid, found in the vitamin section at the drugstore. As soon as you feel burning or tingling in the area, take 3-4 tablets a day for the first 2 days and then 2 tablets a day until the blisters dry up. Also apply Herpecin-L to the blister every half hour for the first few days. This treatment can reduce healing time from 14 days to about 7 days. These products are available at most drugstores. Make sure you have food in your stomach when taking this amino acid tablet. Taking one tablet daily of L-Lysine has been known to prevent fever blisters in some people.
* Whether you have oral herpes or genital herpes you can spread the disease to others, even when you do not have symptoms. Herpes can spread from the mouth or other infected area to any area of close contact on another individual. If you have a herpes infection you should alert anyone with whom you are going to have close contact. In some states this is the law. Many people are spreading herpes because they do not know they have the disease and there is no law against this form of spread. Chances are you contracted your herpes infection from someone who does not even know they have the disease.
* For more information call the herpes hotline at 800-230-6039.

katrina said:
Geeze Mike that was rather graffic don't you think???? :shock: :shock:

Katrina, With all due respect. The man asked for cold sore suggestions and I aims to please. :lol: :lol:

Your "Chokecherry Jelly" has been a hit with everyone who has eaten breakfast with us. They are the perfect match to my "World Famous" homeade biscuits. Just wanted to say thanks again.

Mike said:
II. Causes:

* There are two kinds of herpes virus, type 1 and type 2. Type 1 virus causes 60% of the cold sores so common on the lips and face. The other 40% of cases are caused by type 2. On the genitalia these percentages are reversed, that is 40% of genital herpes cases are caused by type 1 and 60% of cases are caused by type 2.

Ughh i read that like 5 times and it got more confusing every time!

I still don't know what it says........ :???: :???: Maybe i'm just an idiot.

Latest posts