• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

College

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Go for it. Barry Dunn is there, originally from S Dak. Our youngest daughter had him at SDSU and really liked him

I would never discourage a person from going to college. :)

But a Texas A&M Aggie. :cowboy: :roll:

You will have to start tucking you pants in your boots. :wink:

TXTibbs said:
EJ said:
Go for it. Barry Dunn is there, originally from S Dak. Our youngest daughter had him at SDSU and really liked him

Haha I had him also and well haha...I better just keep my mouth shut!

All right, I`ll have to check this one out.

I would look at a degree from University of Missouri, and join the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers (ASFMRA).

* Members manage 25 million acres of farm/ranch land for absentee owners, banks and trust
* Members complete more than 175,000 appraisals a year on more than 30 millions acres of land
* Members provide professional consultant services for all areas of the industry
* ASFMRA has a membership of over 2,000 members
* ASFMRA offers four professional designations:
o Accredited Farm Manager (AFM)
o Accredited Rural Appraiser (ARA)
o Real Property Review Appraiser (RPRA)
o Accredited Agricultural Consultant (AAC)
* ASFMRA members provide appraisal, farm management, and consultation services to agricultural and rural / transitional land owners
* ASFMRA has 36 chapters in 37 states, including Canada
* ASFMRA accredited members lead today's agribusiness by meeting the complex needs of agriculture's changing environment
* Members offer expertise in biotechnology, environmental issues, advanced technology, property and business valuation, market and property investment analysis and government and farm program involvement

At first I was concerned if this was an accredited program, however, it appears to be, throught it's affliation with Texas A&M. The program appears to be a graduate program rather than an undergrad program. Unless you already have your BS it might not be for you just yet.

When I was in college they always said the following:

BS= Bull S**t

MS= more of the same

PHD= Piled higher and deeper

Overall I think it sounds like a great program, strong on practical knowledge from people who actually do the work, rather than just think about it.

jodywy said:
Daughter taking range management at U of Wyoming . Came home yesterday and wants to burn sage brush. She might have an internship with the forest service.... :D

Tell her that sage brush hold snow, slows down the wind and feeds the grouse.

Big Muddy rancher said:
jodywy said:
Daughter taking range management at U of Wyoming . Came home yesterday and wants to burn sage brush. She might have an internship with the forest service.... :D

Star Valley the wind don't blow very much, the snow covers the sage brush in the winter. Snow stands on top of fencepost and wire to show there not much wind.
There are a few sage grouse here but mostly ruff and blues.

jodywy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
jodywy said:

Star Valley the wind don't blow very much, the snow covers the sage brush in the winter. Snow stands on top of fencepost and wire to show there not much wind.
There are a few sage grouse here but mostly ruff and blues.[/quote

The sage must be an indicator of something. With that much snow your grass should be able to compete. How would those pellets dispersed around to thin it out rather then a complete burn?

Big Muddy rancher said:
jodywy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
There are a few sage grouse here but mostly ruff and blues.[/quote

The sage must be an indicator of something. With that much snow your grass should be able to compete. How would those pellets dispersed around to thin it out rather then a complete burn?

Send her our way Jody... I like how she thinks, this whole area needs a good torching, but too many tree huggers!!!! :roll:

Cowboy Up said:
I'm thinking of getting a degree in ranch managment, and this is kind of where I want to go. http://krirm.tamuk.edu I've decide that I'm going to college before I get a real job, and I like this place. What do yall think?

Yeah go for it. I took a range-management course, and had a blast. If that one was fun, then I'll bet that the whole degree will be the same too.

Latest posts