• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

college

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sierraman

Reaction score
I'm off to college in one month. Needless, to say, I'm both nervous and excited. Any advice? Just general or specific stuff will be helpful. My parents, and some current college students have given me their's. Thanks!

Well you don't really appear to be the party type and Abilene isn't the best party town since the clubs/bars shut down at midnight! I'm actually going to Abilene the 27th to hang out with some good buddies. But just have fun, get involved in activities, meet people, study once in a while and have fun while obtaining that piece of paper that will carry you the rest of your life. All college is is getting that piece of paper in the end....the rest is history. But like i said you don't seem the partier type, but if it wasn't for Ray's corner, the Chevy or Skinners in Brookings at South Dakota State University, I am not sure I'd of made it through alive at college. haha.

Do you have to live in dorms? Do you know who your roommate is yet? My first roommate was a goofy little bastard from Iowa......ended up staying with him for 3 years but only cause he went his way and I went mine and we never had to really see each other except at night and then we wouldn't talk and didn't get a long. I had other roommates tho or i'd of prolly ended up throwing him out a window. I really disliked him. So i hope you get a good nice roommate that you can tolerate. Anyway, none of that is really advice, but o'well. Good luck and have fun.

All freshmen are uneasy. It is a sign of brains. If you meet someone who isn't uneasy and says everything is a breeze, beware!

Some say that the grades a person got in highschool are generally an indicator of what they'll get in college. That seems to be true to me.

I'd suggest over-studying the first semester rather than under-studying til you get the feel of things. You can always add more social activities when you're surer of your footing. And the flip side: try not to be a superman taking too many courses simultaneously.

I'm sure you'll find most of the people and at least some of the courses extremely interesting. Enjoy!

Lastly, don't forget to call your parents. Regularly :wink: . (and us!)

some of the best advice i had was given by one of my professors........."don't let class get in the way of your education" :D

Yes, I have to stay in a dorm, but I don't know who my roommate will be. I'll find within the next 1- 2.5 weeks. No, I'm not a party person, although I like to have fun. Thanks for the advice. I will keep in touch with y'all a bit.

Have Fun But remember why your there

I work and in my Senior Year I have no College debit. All the exprets say thats wrong - College Loans are cheep money - I'm told that I should barrow the money and bank it - then pay it back and pocket the excess interest. (????)
Compare that with all my credit cards have just taken the limits off and my credit raiting is Very High - when I went to buy my new car the Credit Manager came out and asked me how old I was and said he was floored.

I got my car at my price and my payments - $!9,000+ for a high $12,000 and payments less than $180.

I think that made up for any interest I might have made :!:

At 22 tomarrow I work 24+ hours per week + College and 40+ hours per week (Summers)

I received $2.00 per hr. more when I moved to this job and a $2.00 per hr raise 4 months ago. The Bosses Sec. says I should ask for another $2.00 per hr. because I do the work of 3 ladies the Laid Off - - I'm not that Smart but I Work and have ideas - - having worked with my Dad and around the Ranch I know tools and what there used for

Geese - don't I sound Up-edu-eeee(sp) :!:

What I'm trying to say is that "Aggies Have It All Over these… and then we Have Computer Geeks… Their have brain but can't find their Out House with both… and Terriorest can Feed them more …
U-Bet… I'm Proud to be a Dumb Aggie :cboy:

You will probably get a chance to "test out" of some of the more elementary college classes. If you get a high enough score, they put you right into more complicated classes. This is not necessarily good, because if it is too complicated you can be more or less lost from day one.

From personal experience, all classes of math were my favorites in high school. I sailed through the preliminary college test like a breeze, so didn't have to take Math I and Math II. They put me right into College Algebra. I was lost right from the get go. In high school algebra, most problems have a definite answer. Not so in college algebra. It seemed most answers were of an abstract nature, as was the instructor at the time. He was pretty abstract, and though he seemed to know his subject matter, it was difficult for him to pass the learning on to his students.

If your goals of the moment don't seem as desirable on down the line, don't be afraid to shoot for a different star. If another major looks like it has more going for it--go for it. If college seems a complete waste of time, don't be afraid to go to a trade school instead or even sit out a year, get a job, and test the water in the cold hard real world.

Stay honest with yourself. If you can look at the man in the mirror and consider him a man of integrity, you can sleep well at night. Keep your promises, and don't make any promises you can't keep. Have fun, live to learn, and learn to live. Happiness is the journey, not the destination. Go for it, and keep us Bull Sessionaires posted. Bon Voyage.

Hey,

What about the dearly departed Campus Pub. I spent many a good night there. The Chevy and Skinners were staples, along with the Starlite Inn. Boy am I getting nostalgic!!

Being that I will be heading away for the 3rd year here in early September, I think nr said it best. Make sure your scared shitless and you'll make it ok. It's the cocky ones who figure they have it all figured out when they get to college that are gone before the 2nd semester begins, or the 2nd year.

Don't be afraid to get to know your profs. There are some pricks and some who you'll wish would eventually be your in-laws. I know of one engineering prof at my school that teaches a small class in the 3rd and 4th years and likes to go fishing and camping with individual students and become friends with them. I have heard he writes reference letters that will be the key to your resume. I am sure there will be similar profs that you'll meet in your travels. Ask questions and take interest in what they say and they will take an interest in you.

Enjoy your independence, make friends, work hard and add a touch of fun....you'll do well.

well my best advice. no new vehicles, no credit cards, minimum loans and after the first semester get a job, and that way your spare time will be occupied.because time management will be the best thing you can do. also leave the opposite sex alone. or at least make sure a hig level of prevention in place. you dont need to be tied down. always be ready to go on a trip or a learning experience.

Let me first say, I was taken aback a bit to find out your age. Having said that, I'll pass along the most important thing I learned in college: You don't have to learn it all, you just need to learn where to find it out when you need to know it. That and the bar that has 4'fers on Thursday nights! Good luck, and it's extemely normal to be scared. You'll do just fine, I've read enough to know that.

Soapweed:"You will probably get a chance to "test out" of some of the more elementary college classes. If you get a high enough score, they put you right into more complicated classes. This is not necessarily good, because if it is too complicated you can be more or less lost from day one. "

I second what Soapweed said. Testing out is a great way to save some time for more interesting courses you'd like to take. I got out of a basic English class that way which was fine.
However, unwisely, after testing out of German 1, they put me in German 2 which turned out to be students fluent in the language from living abroad. I was struggling the whole semester and glad to get out with a passing grade. The up side was it removed my foreign language requirement forever! So having to struggle is not necessarily a bad thing unless it demolishes your cumulative index (or whatever they call it these days.)
Most colleges these days have a wonderful opportunity which I'd recommend to broaden your horizons which is the Exchange Program with other colleges across the nation and even internationally for usually the Junior year or a semester. I believe the tuition remains the same.

I'm sure you aren't contemplating a change right now! But by Junior year you might be ready for something different and an exchange lets you experience a different life while taking classes. I went to school in Denmark for half a year and it was absolutely the most worthwhile challenge I've ever experienced. And the cheapest (all it cost needy me was my $200.00 summer earnings! But that was an unusual case. ) Depending on your chosen occupation you may never have that opportunity again. If a college would have permitted it I'd spend freshman year in the East, a year in the West and two years in different countries.

And there is more than a grain of truth in this old adage:

"It's not what you know, it's who you know."

So try to surround yourself with quality people. That one thing will come
back to you time and time again.

Good luck and have fun while learning.

V_Key said:
Have Fun But remember why your there

I work and in my Senior Year I have no College debit. All the exprets say thats wrong - College Loans are cheep money - I'm told that I should barrow the money and bank it - then pay it back and pocket the excess interest. (????)
Compare that with all my credit cards have just taken the limits off and my credit raiting is Very High - when I went to buy my new car the Credit Manager came out and asked me how old I was and said he was floored.

I got my car at my price and my payments - $!9,000+ for a high $12,000 and payments less than $180.

I think that made up for any interest I might have made :!:

At 22 tomarrow I work 24+ hours per week + College and 40+ hours per week (Summers)

I received $2.00 per hr. more when I moved to this job and a $2.00 per hr raise 4 months ago. The Bosses Sec. says I should ask for another $2.00 per hr. because I do the work of 3 ladies the Laid Off - - I'm not that Smart but I Work and have ideas - - having worked with my Dad and around the Ranch I know tools and what there used for

Geese - don't I sound Up-edu-eeee(sp) :!:

What I'm trying to say is that "Aggies Have It All Over these… and then we Have Computer Geeks… Their have brain but can't find their Out House with both… and Terriorest can Feed them more …
U-Bet… I'm Proud to be a Dumb Aggie :cboy:

After reading that it sounds like you need to go back to English class! Don't college station teach grammer??? Dumb aggie...haha...you said it not me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's okay to be a square. Study, study, study. And nothing good comes out of alcohol. Get your menengitis shot. And try and have some fun. Also remember us on ranchers net....

I have never had alcohol and don't plan on beginning. I have a friend to my family whose told us the story of her son's death due to alcohol, whose funeral I went too. It sounds horiffic. I am pretty much a square 95 percent of the waking day. Do y'all think there's a way to have too many friends in college? I mean so many, you can't be true to some or whatever?

Oh. Let me give a brief outline of my plans.
I will be studying in the ag department. Go on some internships over my summers. When I get out, I want to be involved with either research agriculture (focused on helping missionaries provide food to their destinations)/ Or go into ag missions myself. Lots of other ideas, but these are best now. By missions I mean The mission of spreading the gospel as well as food.
I have considered getting involved with environmental science,. Not a ranchers favorite subject, but I think someone who understands the mission of a rancher is better in the role of environmental study than someone whose not. I am not a rancher as i've said before, but I have a heart for the lives of those who are involved in agriculture.
Well, thanks for the tons of advice y'all have given. I might print some of that off and take with me. I will certainly stay in touch. There are computers there for my use.

Sounds like you have a very helpful goal in mind. The missionaries we've met over the years have not only been extremely caring people, but physically tough as nails, gladly depriving themselves of many comforts to help those they're sent to help, and they keep mentally sharp having to deal with language barriers, unfriendly governments and countries that simply don't "work" well. You'll be working side by side with some incredible human beings!
Let us know how things are going! :D

Latest posts