• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

College???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Joe

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this this forum and not really sure if I know how to post, but I'll try it. I would appreciate your opinions on a question. Having grown up on my families ranch, I hope to someday have my own ranch, or at least cowboy for someone else. As a senior in high school I'm faced with the decision to go on to college, or go to work. I feel like if I go on to school I would be giving up valuable time getting hands on experience. But at the same time I think going to school would open my eyes to sides of the beef industry I know nothing about, and give me more opportunities. My question for y'all is: if you were an employer, would you be more likely to hire someone with a degree? Why? And for those of you that have a degree, has it helped you in running your ranch? I would appreciate any input.

Go to school and get a agri business degree maybe to a junior college. That will payoff in the long run. If all you think you want to do is ranch/farm don't spend the money on a 4 year degree that you will not use you will pay for a lot of things that you will not need. Just my opinion.

any education that is relevant to your goals is worth spending money on..

it is difficult to recommend a good mix of education and experience
as the right mix is different for everyone.

trades schools should be in that mix as well.

I usually push for welding and a CDL as a start.

Go to school, Business is good, in some schools you can get a internship to work on different ranches or other fields of ag that will give you experience and possible jobs.
I took ag in college and came home to the family ranch, actually it was 40 years ago this month I started ag school, never regretted going to learn and meet other like minded people. Still have a few college connections. :D

Sometimes it's not 'what you know, but who you know'
that gets you ahead in life, or at least gives you an 'edge.' I'd say go to school
of some kind...trade school that has been mentioned here would be good. You will learn things
PLUS you will meet people that could make a difference in your life later on. Don't be afraid to expand your horizons!

Good luck!

I agree with Faster Horses. At least go to junior college or community college. There is so many connections you can make and experience. There is numerous colleges that offer great 2 year agriculture degrees.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Go to school...actually it was 40 years ago this month I started ag school... :D

Wow, you're about 20 years younger than I thought! Or did you get a late start?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Go to school. Everyone needs to get away from home and see the world from a different view point. It's not really about what you learn at school, but it's about learning how to learn, how to survive, growing up. It's about the people you meet, the contacts you make.

It's also an insurance policy. My brother is the perfect example. He was in a car accident, broke his back and is now in a wheel chair. But he is very employable and has an excellent job because he had a degree to fall back on.

And do it immediately out of high school. If you wait, you'll never go.

I appreciate all of your responses. I've pretty much already decided on a two year beef science degree from a community college. Thanks for the advice.

Its a lot easier to quit school and go to work than quit working and go back to school. I did it wrong, just working first. For your own knowledge get some schooling. My kids did a business degree and music degree. both have benefited a lot from the further education. I know that more school just don't sound like the thing right now, but you will never regret it. You will likely regret not going to college. Go for the education, not the degree.

Good luck, and God Bless.

Hi Joe,
In my humble opinion, I think you should get some type of education in business/agriculture. Spending 2 or 4 years getting a degree will be benefit you in the long run. If you want to own a ranch one day and need a loan, bankers/investors will take your education and work experience into consideration. You can always go back and work in the industry after college.

Good luck!

I used a lot of things from college. But what I got most is the friends I made. I been on State and non-profit boards with them, see the if I run down to legislature, a Stock Growers meeting or other ag gatherings, college football games. They have helped me with business dissension on my ranch and have help with some of them.

School is my choice too. I started college but rodeo and alcohol side tracked me. I never made it back. You could go to college and work part time or intern. Salebarns, feedlots, ect. It's easy for me to sit here and plan out your life! :lol: :lol: But I'd sure recommend a long hard look at school. The only thing we take with us when we cash in our chips in life is our knowledge. :wink:

As usual......I am the contrarian in the crowd. First off.....no one can say but yourself......all depends upon what your goals are and specifically what you want to do.

IF you have a good idea just exactly what you hope to learn......go find the best to teach you....and it is highly unlikely you will find the best teaching in college.

Graybull isn't wrong, but if he went to college it was on me and H's plan. I didn't learn a lot of value until I was getting paid. But, a darn good 2 year school will keep ya busy, and you will meet the people who will be your down the road folks you can call.

Business, accounting, risk management will be much more important in the future of agriculture than ropin, ridin, fencin, and windmill fixen. Most of us would rather do the latter, but you can hire a good man to do that stuff for $10/hr. School isn't the only way to learn accounting, but realistically school is the best way to prepare for massive changes ahead of agriculture. Watch Lonesome Dove, you know the movie. What's the point? It's innovation, experimentation, pioneering, and exploring. That is the legacy of ranching and the future of ranching. Make up your own mind of the best way to meet the future. Best of luck to you. Also marrying a real partner is more important than anything else ( you know what happens to the happy bass that gets attracted to that shiny stuff? He finds it has a hook in it)

Latest posts