• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Colorado's new gun restrictions reap consequences

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
OUTDOOR CHANNEL PULLS PRODUCTION FROM COLORADO DUE TO CO SENATE BETRAYING 2ND RIGHTS!

Date: Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Subject: OUTDOOR CHANNEL Pulls Productions from Colorado
To: Senator Steve King

Dear Senator King;

I met you yesterday after the so-called "public hearings" on the anti-gun bills; as I mentioned, I am an Executive Producer for OUTDOOR CHANNEL. I currently have four series in production, including GUN STORIES, the top show on OC, with several additional series in development. My series focus on guns, hunting, shooting and the outdoors.

This morning I met with my three Producers, and we made the decision that if these anti-gun bills become law, we will be moving all of our production OUT of Colorado. We have already canceled a scheduled filming session for late this month. Obviously, part of this is due to our own commitment to the right to keep and bear arms, but it also reflects 3 lawyers' opinions that these laws are so poorly drafted and so designed to trap otherwise legal citizens into a crime (one of our attorneys referred to them as "flypaper laws") that it is simply too dangerous for us to film here.

I can give you chapter and verse on the legal implications if you need, but suffice to say that the first legal opinion was so scary we went out and got two others. Al three attorneys agreed.

We are relatively small potatoes in television, but our relocation of production will cost Colorado a little less than a million dollars in 2013.

Secondly, we have proudly promoted Colorado in our productions (and have been moving more and more production into the state); now we will do exactly the opposite. What does this mean for Colorado? The community of television producers is a small one. Last week I had lunch with a major network producer who was looking to locate his new reality series in Colorado. That producer is also a shooter, and the new reality series will now be based out of Phoenix. That lunch cost Colorado over a million in economic impact.

Thirdly, according to numbers I received from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (for whom I used to work) yesterday, hunting had an almost $800,000,000 impact on Colorado in 2012, driving as many as 8330 jobs. Next month I will be in Texas meeting with most of the top outdoor/hunting producers, and the Number One agenda item will be Colorado. Already, hunting organizations and statewide hunting clubs around the country are pulling out of Colorado, and we expect this trend to accelerate rapidly.

The message we will take to our viewers and listeners is that these proposed laws are so dangerous to hunters and any other person, be she a fisherman or a skier who brings a handgun into the state for self-defense, that we cannot recommend hunting, fishing or visiting Colorado.. We reach millions of people, and, quite frankly, we have a credibility that Colorado government officials can no longer match. Colorado Division of Wildlife is already running ads trying to bring more out-of-state hunters to Colorado...in light of the flood of negative publicity about these proposed laws, I can assure you those ads will fail.

We estimate that as many as one-quarter to one-third of out-of-state hunters will desert Colorado in the next 18-24 months, which will quite frankly be a disaster for the hunting industry in Colorado and have a devastating effect on our western and northern communities (certainly cities like Grand Junction).

This is not a "boycott" in the traditional sense of a centralized, organized operation; rather, it is more of a grassroots decision on where shooters, hunters and other sportsmen are willing to spend their money. Look at the collapse of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in February. That venerable multimillion dollar trade show chose to ban modern sporting rifles and standard capacity magazines, and within three weeks it collapsed as all vendors and sponsors pulled out.

Colorado is going to pay a huge price for laws that will do nothing. Thank you, sir, for your support.

Best.

Michael Bane

OUTDOOR CHANNEL [email protected]

Sad thing for those folks in Colorado- that because of politics- will lose out...

One of my neighbors- who just bought out a multi generation lifetime major ranch is the Outdoor Life Editor-- Andrew McKeon.... I've never had a chance to meet him yet- but I'm sure as the future goes on- this will be the way of the world (especially with the SCOTUS ruling that major corporates are "people") we will see the entire country dominated/financed that way....

The reason in areas 10 years ago- cattle were ran for $18-20 an AUM-- now the going prices is $50+ an AUM on even government/tribal land.......

I am very proud of The Outdoor Channel. I also feel sorry for the people of Colorado but also have to remind myself they elected those knotheads that drafted these rediculous laws. :mad:

Our state is going down the drain fast. First we legalize weed and now we are banning guns. Our lovely governor has a monthly radio show on 850 koa and he said that the gun issues are a urban issue and rural people just need to deal with it.

farmboy said:
I am very proud of The Outdoor Channel. I also feel sorry for the people of Colorado but also have to remind myself they elected those knotheads that drafted these rediculous laws. :mad:

Not so fast there farmboy.

If you look at the way the districts got realigned by the Democrats you'll see that the major metropolitan areas call the shots. How they vote is how the state goes. I can guarentee you there are ALOT of conservatives out here in the rural areas but their votes and their voices get drowned out by the front range.

Secondly, if you look at the national picture, what happened here in Colorado is a picture of what is happening across our nation. The way that the large metropolitan areas vote is what we as a nation get. As an example, look at every major city that hosts an NFL team, then look and see how that city voted as compared to the rest of their respective state.

Folks might want to think about that before they say that we all asked for it.

bart.

There has not been any mention of the effect such a decision will have on real estate. There is a fair amount of land sold in Colorado at a ridiculous price for the hunting rights. What will happen there? I haven't read what was passed yet, obviously it is a concern.

Probably 85% of the land area of Colorado was and is against this, but the whole eastern plains doesn't have enough people to offset Boulder/Denver. One of the major sponsors of the bill is a convicted thief and another proponet doesn't realize that you can re-use magazines, she must think they are bullets. Feel very happy if you live in a state without a major metro area is all I can say, but remember that at a national level there are many metro areas and they have a lot more votes than us in the sticks.

You guys are exactly right about how we as rural and semi-rural "fly-over people" are now totally beholden to the metro areas. They have already started and it will get worse on issues like this. It will also get worse on the livestock front as they will dictate how you raise your animals. How they must be treated. What medications you can give and can't give, ect...

The saddest part of all this is how the senate was set up to in some small way to protect us from the "tyranny of the majority" since every state no matter how small had the same number of senators but the liberals have been very, very successful at getting one or two turncoats to vote against the wills of their states to ram stuff through. Like the idiot from Nebraska and his vote on Obamacare.

nortexsook said:
You guys are exactly right about how we as rural and semi-rural "fly-over people" are now totally beholden to the metro areas. They have already started and it will get worse on issues like this. It will also get worse on the livestock front as they will dictate how you raise your animals. How they must be treated. What medications you can give and can't give, ect...

The saddest part of all this is how the senate was set up to in some small way to protect us from the "tyranny of the majority" since every state no matter how small had the same number of senators but the liberals have been very, very successful at getting one or two turncoats to vote against the wills of their states to ram stuff through. Like the idiot from Nebraska and his vote on Obamacare.

You are darn sure right about that. Ben Nelson is his name. What a traitor to his state and country. :mad:

Welcome to California style governance! Not fun for those of who have invested or have deep roots in the land in these states. Northern California is very rural and people here are victims of the urbane mentality. Until we have urban society that goes hungry for a long period; we in resource based industries will be under a microscope being examined by a proctologist when we needed a neurologist the whole time.

This too shall pass. One way or the other, eventually the American people will realize what is going on. Hopefully before we give everything away.
All you have to do is look at PROHIBITION. While it may have been a good idea, it didn't deter drinking, and was eventually over turned. Gun control, and all the rest of the so called Liberalsisms will eventually HAVE to go away. It may take a war to do it, but eventually it WILL go away.

Now Colorado wants to allow same day registration for voters, inviting more voter fraud. Rural areas are being told to just cope with it. Next they will change the name of the state to Eastern California.

We are thankful to see the OUTDOOR CHANNEL has a backbone and will be moving their operation to a better location. Senator King obviously has lost his.

Latest posts