• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Column - Original Design - Riding The Slippery Slope

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Maple Leaf Angus

Reaction score
Original Design

Riding the Slippery Slope

We should have known what might happen before we headed down that hill in the pasture field on that winter day, years ago. This was no ordinary tobogganing hill. The deceptive, two-inch film of fresh snow covered a treacherous layer of glare ice laid down by an earlier ice storm. It was THE Baden Hill, with its long sloping sides clearly visible for miles around.
After surveying the steep slope with some trepidation, we decided that it could be done and loaded up for the ride. His steely look and determined grip on the curved toboggan front made my fearless brother-in-law appear to be firmly in charge of this ride. At least we hoped so. We pushed off and slowly gained speed. Then, down the hill, we flew. Two dads and three kids held on.
I didn't know a ride could last so long and be so adventuresome. It was all good until I felt the thing start side slipping to the right. The Captain steered left, but you really can't steer a toboggan on ice. Then we veered to the left. The Captain steered right, staring straight out front, apparently still firmly in control. But he wasn't, because we spun further out of line with each successive swing. Kind of like a maniacal pendulum that lost its moorings.
Suddenly, after doing a 180, we were shooting down the hill BACKWARDS, but don't worry, our fearless leader was still gripping the front of the toboggan, looking straight out in front of him, with all the appearance of being firmly in control! Do you know how long the Baden Hill is? I had plenty of time to wonder what would happen if the back end of the toboggan would hit one of the frozen cowpies that protruded sharply through the ice and snow. Moreover, instead of gliding over the soft layer of snow, the blunt back end was shearing it off the ice, sending it up in the air and down our necks in a steady cascade! Talk about a chill! It seemed a looong time until we settled to a safe stop at the bottom, completely immersed in snow.
Totally blinded by snow, I got my glasses off only to look up into the bemused face of my niece who had run over to us, checking for damages. She finally figured out what the gurgling noise was coming from the heap of riders, snow and wood. It was the muffled sound of adults laughing and children crying.
That ride was funny, but the ride that R-CALF is on is not so funny. Since the "discovery" of BSE in an "I WAS BORN IN THE USA" cow, their ride has turned 180 degrees. All their deceptive rhetoric directed at the Canadian herd was simply posturing. And while their leaders are still firmly gripping "health concerns" as reason to block cattle movement, they are clearly losing control of their protectionist agenda. The chill, if not worse, is coming.
Leo, Bill, how do you like your crow served? Or are the buzzards circling?

MLA, is the hill RCALF going down anything like the one in Baden, with the transmission tower on top? Obviously it's a perfect metaphor, cause they have been sending out the wrong message since day one!

Latest posts