• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Come Hell or High River...We'll get your guns.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Grandad

Reaction score
This is most troubling...
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/RCMP+seized+High+River+firearms+from+homes+control/8588851/story.html

If they have High River "secured" and closed off, why would there be any danger of thieves stealing people's guns?

Sounds like yesterday's confrontation during the mayor's press conference ruffled some feathers.

come October, my buddy Remple, will probably begin his 4th term. :lol:

"This is at the highest tension," he said. "What's going to happen next is that people are just going to be walking across these fields, and I don't care if they put hundreds of thousand of police officers there, they're not going to stop from getting in."

Who made that call? Who said kick the doors in? Who said, the guns...get the guns? Who? I think I'm about to pop a blood vessel...

Grandad said:
Who made that call? Who said kick the doors in? Who said, the guns...get the guns? Who? I think I'm about to pop a blood vessel...

I'll PM you with the answer, after tomorrow, when I ask the question.

"TROUBLING"???

That hardly begins to describe what happened there! That is simply the most egregious abuse of civil rights that I have seen in a long time!

If that were my house, those who did it would be charged with B&E, trespass - whatever I could muster against them.

Complete abuse of power and nothing other than a retaliatory action against the public for the Gun registry being thrown out.

That makes me just spitting mad! And we are supposed to respect government?

There now I went and just about broke my keyboard...

He did confirm that officer relied on forced entry to get into numerous houses during the early stages of the flood because of an "urgent need", said Topham.

so if the house was still locked it would be a deterrent to the thieves,.. now with "open" doors it is well a wide open target... maybe the crime tape will stop a thief?

after Sandy and when reading this, I can now understand why some decent smart people do not head the goverment warnings and stay put despite the threat to their safety..

I should have given a sarcasm alert when I said troubling. This goes beyond troubling, exponentially. In the event one of the RCMP made the call, he or she must lose their job. If it was an elected individual they should be hounded from office. Relied on forced entry is a euphemism for "kicked your door down and took a some of your ****". I don't recall ever feeling such revulsion and outrage over anything done in this country before. Heads need to roll!

If they kicked the doors in then they should be treated like any other criminal breaking into your house. They should be charged with B and E and theft. if they had to search the house to find the guns then it should be considered a illegal search and seizer. If it is not illegal for the cops to break into a locked home with no just cause THEN IT SHOULD BE. :mad: What is stopping them from driving into any ones yard when they are not home and kicking the door down and carrying your guns off? That is wrong in so many ways if the Federal Government does not step in and punish those Mounties that had a part in this CRIME. :evil:

They must have been trained down here...

cause we have it down,.. get the guns.

Confiscation of civilian firearms

Controversy arose over a September 8 city-wide order by New Orleans Police Superintendent Eddie Compass to local police, U.S. Army National Guard soldiers, and Deputy U.S. Marshals to confiscate all civilian-held firearms. "No one will be able to be armed," Compass said. "Guns will be taken. Only law enforcement will be allowed to have guns." Seizures were carried out without warrant, and in some cases with excessive force; one instance captured on film involved 58 year old New Orleans resident Patricia Konie. Konie stayed behind, in her well provisioned home, and had an old revolver for protection. A group of police entered the house, and when she refused to surrender her revolver, she was tackled and it was removed by force. Konie's shoulder was fractured, and she was taken into police custody for failing to surrender her firearm.

Angered citizens, backed by the National Rifle Association and other organizations, filed protests over the constitutionality of such an order and the difficulty in tracking seizures, as paperwork was rarely filed during the searches

saying that, "What we've seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves." The searches received little news coverage,

On September 23, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana issued a restraining order to bar further firearms confiscations.[80]

After refusing to admit that it had any seized firearms, the city revealed in mid-March that it did have a cache of some 1000 firearms seized after the hurricane; this disclosure came after the NRA filed a motion in court to hold the city in contempt for failure to comply with the U.S. District Court's earlier order to return all seized firearms. On April 14, 2006, it was announced that the city will begin to return seized firearms, however as of early 2008, many firearms were still in police possession,

Per the agreement, the city was required to relax the strict proof of ownership requirements previously used, and was to release firearms to their owners with an affidavit claiming ownership and a background check to verify that the owner is legally able to possess a firearm.

Louisiana legislator Steve Scalise introduced Louisiana House Bill 760, which would prohibit confiscation of firearms in a state of emergency, unless the seizure is pursuant to the investigation of a crime, or if the seizure is necessary to prevent immediate harm to the officer or another individual. On June 8, 2006, HB 760 was signed into law.[83] 21 other states joined Louisiana in enacting similar laws. A federal law prohibiting seizure of lawfully held firearms during an emergency, the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006, passed in the House with a vote of 322 to 99, and in the Senate by 84-16. The bill was signed into law by President Bush on October 9, 2006.

even with the passage of state and federal laws and the city losing the lawsuit... it still took several years for them to give back the guns

so good luck and hold them ALL accountable..

this should never happen in the free world..

I hope everyone that has heard about this story contacts Shephen Harper and their MP and let it be known that this kind of stuff should not happen and if it does those responsible need to be held accountable. This is just plain wrong and our government needs to stop this kind of crap in it's tracks.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/contact.asp

Tam said:
I hope everyone that has heard about this story contacts Shephen Harper and their MP and let it be known that this kind of stuff should not happen and if it does those responsible need to be held accountable. This is just plain wrong and our government needs to stop this kind of crap in it's tracks.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/contact.asp

Harper did not approve of what happened. This was approved by K division in Edmonton.

This should not have happened, but there are additional details that should be known.

It was only a few residences and the RCMP did not bust into the houses looking for guns.

The RCMP entered the houses to check on the residents and noticed guns that were not secured. The reason the guns were not secured was because they were brought out of basements/gun safes to protect them from water and then the residents quickly evacuated.

IMO, the media is making a bigger deal than they should, of what happened.

The one worry I have is, the production of ownership documents, to obtain these weapons from the RCMP. The documents may have been lost to the flooding.

This was not a case of the RCMP knowing who owned guns and going looking for them, that much is for sure.

If the gun owners would have had these weapons stolen by looters, they would be more upset, would be my guess.

The video clearly shows the RCMP blocking people from returning to their homes but yet they are allowing more officers to enter WHY. If there are homes that were not affected by the flood then there is no reason to keep them from returning to their homes. It leaves one to wonder why they were so desperate to keep them out of their neighborhoods. And those upstanding officers that were seizing the guns from even one house then they should have tagged them to what home they took them from and notified the owner that their guns were safe and they would be returned to them as soon as the homeowner was allowed to return. The Homeowners should not have to prove ownership or anything else, the officers that removed them should have the obligation to RETURN THEM, without any paper work in behalf of the homeowner.

And if Shephen Harper did not approve then he should be looking into the issue to make sure the RCMP did not step on homeowners rights by entering their home whether it was one home or a dozen and removing their property without a warrant. :roll:

Tam, during a "state of emergency", the rules/laws for removing items from a home are different.

The guns were tagged, to address they were taken from. Notifying the owners would have been quite difficult, unless the RCMP had the owner's cell phone numbers. Something they would not be able to obtain, without a warrant.

Is it legal for a law enforcement officer to remove a pet, from a residence, to keep it safe, during a "state of emergency"?

How pissed off would you be, if you had guns at the local RCMP detachment and someone else, other than the you, went down and claimed them, without having to show that they lived at that address or owned the guns?

Someone in K Division needs to step down. End of Story. I don't recall any announcements from the RCMP about bringing guns in for safe storage prior to or at the same time as the evacuation notice. Could you imagine what would have taken place if the cops were all hanging around the detachment waiting for people to bring in guns rather than helping with the evacuation. Refer to first sentence again. Sooner rather than later.

With all of the mandatory evacuations that were in place, why was High River singled out for the "safe storage" of firearms? There were a couple of Indian reserves that suffered flooding. No word on how many firearms were secured in those cases. There were upwards of 75,000 evacuated in Calgary. Once again...no word on the number of guns taken out of homes for storage. Canmore...same. Bragg Creek....same. Turner Valley and Black Diamond...same. Something stinks. There is no spin that can make this appear to be any thing other than what it is. What is it you ask? It's outrageous Horses**t.

Grandad said:
With all of the mandatory evacuations that were in place, why was High River singled out for the "safe storage" of firearms? There were a couple of Indian reserves that suffered flooding. No word on how many firearms were secured in those cases. There were upwards of 75,000 evacuated in Calgary. Once again...no word on the number of guns taken out of homes for storage. Canmore...same. Bragg Creek....same. Turner Valley and Black Diamond...same. Something stinks. There is no spin that can make this appear to be any thing other than what it is. What is it you ask? It's outrageous Horses**t.

Why do you think High River was singled out?

hypocritexposer said:
Grandad said:

Why do you think High River was singled out?

Is it true that High River is Danielle Smith's constituency?

Grandad said:

I'm with you. Besides if they seized the guns, by force as in B&E, for safe keeping and tagged them to the address they came from, then after the homeowners are allowed to return to those homes the guns should be taken back to them with no questions asked for proof of ownership. ANd if they were taken for safe keeping why all the extra officers being called in to control the crowd. It looks as if they knew the news of their guns being confiscated was not going to go over well so they brought in re-enforcements to deal with the fall out. One other thing if they took them due to their "VALUE" then did they also collect up other things that people may have felt were more valuable like jewelry and electronics that could be used to pawn for drug money? No just the guns were taken in one town of all the towns evacuated as you pointed out. This is wrong and something needs to be done so this doesn't happen again. LOCKED DOORS should have kept everyone out INCLUDING THE POLICE looking to "CONFISCATE" your private property. Think of it this way who were they protecting the guns from if everyone is locked out of town and only the police are allowed in to patrol the streets? :? Something stinks and somebody needs to get to the bottom of this and explain to everyone what is going to be done to FIX IT.

Latest posts