• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Commercial herd pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cuttin_up

Reaction score
I'm a little new here but wanted to give posting some pictures a shot. The herd is made up mostly of Angus X Limousin and Angus X Simmental. The bulls I am currently running are Angus. These are all fall born calves. I weaned and sold the calves on 5/28 with the steers avg. of 635 lbs and heifers 605 lbs. The black hide has done OK for me being in the deep south. Any thoughts/suggestions on what breed bull I could use down here to increase those weaning weights?

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

Welcome!! What's that green stuff those critters are eating....
And of course we gotta know the bull breeding and also the horse.. Rule 1. and 2.....LOL :wink: :roll:

katrina said:
Welcome!! What's that green stuff those critters are eating....
And of course we gotta know the bull breeding and also the horse.. Rule 1. and 2.....LOL :wink: :roll:

Thanks katrina. The bull pictured is out of In Focus and is a 3 1/2 year old. I used him as a heifer bull and the calves are strictly terminal. This is his link to AAA.... http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAAEoc6TJP4iEJCpRlLrbaQ8jYx3tBjlTnsJX0PJvv216C&time=LgAAAJgIwvpCvvyV3oPyqimOzap1KXP%2bUWlJw1kbn28fl9%2bjJktBUsIcGwJVNPUUgd2aDg%3d%3d

As far as the ponies go, in general I don't know whole lot about breeding and such. I just like a good using horse. The palomino has Doc's Juniper/Doc Bar on the top side and Poco Bueno on bottom side. The buckskin has Three Bars on the top and Silk Yo Yo/Two Eyed Jack on the bottom.

Welcome to ranchers!! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I'm like
katrina~what's that green stuff. :p What part of the country are you
from, if you don't mind sayin'.

Cattle and horses look good!

I used the link you provided and now I'm wondering why you are
calling that bull 'strictly a terminal cross'? Is it because of the
036 on the dam's side? The rest of the pedigree I like, FWIW.
Just curious.

FH, that green stuff is slowly fading with the 100 degree heat and lack of rain we are having in central Mississippi. This is the first year I have skipped fertilizing the pasture. I may wish that I had later in the summer.

I probably should have worded my original comment on the bull differentially. For my operation and my setup I am using him as a terminal bull. I believe he would make an OK maternal bull. I had some nice heifers off of him this year.

Cuttin_up said:
FH, that green stuff is slowly fading with the 100 degree heat and lack of rain we are having in central Mississippi. This is the first year I have skipped fertilizing the pasture. I may wish that I had later in the summer.

I probably should have worded my original comment on the bull differentially. For my operation and my setup I am using him as a terminal bull. I believe he would make an OK maternal bull. I had some nice heifers off of him this year.

Oh yes, definitely maternal. I guess I hadn't heard maternal bulls that
heifers are kept out of, called 'terminal.' In our country, 'terminal' means
something that sires heavy calves with no regard to retaining heifers, or a crossbred of a kind that you wouldn't want
to keep heifers from. We had 3 bulls we got from Kevin Mytty's sale and
they were bred closely to yours. They are dandy bulls and have really
nice heifers. Anyhow, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Your cows don't look like hay burners, if they average 1200-1300lbs, and you're average weaning weights are north of 600lbs, I'd be content with what you got. Trying to push too much sometimes makes things fall.

Your stock looks real healthy, that's the main thing. Keep breeding for rib, depth, thickness, and animals that thrive in your system. That's what counts. Use a couple home raised bulls out of never miss cows and see how that turns out.

Purecountry is right, keep with medium framed easy keeping cows, weaning weights per se are not as good a measure of productivity as cow/calf weight ratio at weaning. Select heifers from your elite cows and use terminal bulls over the poorer ones for higher weaning weights, the terminals can be out of a different breed of bull to take advantage of heterosis.

Latest posts