• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Common Core Education

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Justin

Reaction score
this topic maybe should/could be posted in PB but i refuse to go to that side of the tracks. :)

for those of you with children or grandchildren in school...are they being taught Common Core Math? they are teaching it here and i never thought i'd see such a ridiculous method of teaching math to our children. many pissed off parents in this neck of the woods, myself included.

has this cirriculum been adopted in your schools yet?

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/parents-guide-to-common-core-standards/

I am on the school board in Philip SD. Common Core has its problems but all of South Dakota will adopt it within 2 years. Every state had a choice to go to common core or stay with no child left behind. NCLB should be called no child shall succeed. Like it or not another Government mandate.

Doug Thorson said:
I am on the school board in Philip SD. Common Core has its problems but all of South Dakota will adopt it within 2 years. Every state had a choice to go to common core or stay with no child left behind. NCLB should be called no child shall succeed. Like it or not another Government mandate.

i'm not saying NCLB is the clear answer but if you ask me, Common Core should be called no child shall succeed. it is my understanding that SD is now in a fight against Common Core. we sit at the table every f*$#'n night with our third grade daughter doing common core math homework, it's bullsh!t! :mad: it's an Obama/Bill Ayers curriculum....what does that tell you??? the problem is half the state aswell as half the country doesn't even know what it is or that it is already being taught.

but i'm not bitter :wink:

By The Associated Press
on March 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM, updated March 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM Print

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) — Alabama's common core standards for public schools have survived another challenge.

It appears a bill to abolish the standards is unlikely to pass the Legislature. The Common Core standards for learning in Math and English were recommended by the National Governors Association.

Bills were introduced in the House and Senate to prevent adoption of the standards. The Senate bill has been indefinitely postponed. A subcommittee of the House Education Policy Committee voted Wednesday to kill the bill.

Subcommittee chairman Lesley Vance says the bill will be sent back to the full committee with a negative recommendation. He says the bill could be resubmitted but added it's not likely to pass. Schools Superintendent Tommy Bice says fears that the standards would lead to a federal takeover of public schools are unfounded.

The math for sure is whacky..............................................................

What the hell is common core math? I assume it's something like....a reduction in the rate of increase of spending is called a cut?

The Common Core standards stress not only procedural skill but also conceptual understanding, to make sure students are learning and absorbing the critical information they need to succeed at higher levels - rather than the current practices by which many students learn enough to get by on the next test, but forget it shortly thereafter, only to review again the following year.

Instead of learning the answer to 9X9=, it's more about if 9 kids have 10 pieces of candy each and they all eat one each, how many do all 9 kids have left total.

It's teaches them more about how to solve a word problem than to get the correct answer.

So yes, it's like gov't thinking.............................

Mike said:
The Common Core standards stress not only procedural skill but also conceptual understanding, to make sure students are learning and absorbing the critical information they need to succeed at higher levels - rather than the current practices by which many students learn enough to get by on the next test, but forget it shortly thereafter, only to review again the following year.

Instead of learning the answer to 9X9=, it's more about if 9 kids have 10 pieces of candy each and they all eat one each, how many do all 9 kids have left total.

It's teaches them more about how to solve a word problem than to get the correct answer.

So yes, it's like gov't thinking.............................

I see. So as long as everyone feels good about themselves at the end of the exercise and no one fails, then the lesson was successful.

There is a lot of group thought and contemplating of how to solve the problem, than actually solving the problem. There is a lot of self taught direction as well- if you can teach your self, then school is a waste of time. And that is what they are making it.

They don't want to teach the kids foundational/concrete facts- like the multiplication table and then expound upon that like you and I and the educated throughout history were.

Kind a like a liberal, they don't believe in concrete facts.

I so much understand the parable of building a house on sand and house on rock now.

I would say, good luck to your kids (and I do wish them well), but to be honest, it is better to say good luck to us all. When a generation full blown idiots are created that don't have parents to teach them to think for themselves at home and that there is a right and wrong, it is going to be very, very bad.

t's more about if 9 kids have 10 pieces of candy each and they all eat one each, how many do all 9 kids have left total.

You could just ask it in a straight forward way..

but This way the kids can still use their fingers to count...

and the real answer is Why didn't I get any candy?

Maybe it's just this area, but I know for a fact kids from South Dakota struggle coming into Nebraska high schools. And all three years my son tutored kids, sometimes as many as ten at a time at SDSU so they wouldn't flunk out of the engineering program. We are falling behind in one of the most important studies. MATH...

I asked Taylor last night and they have "Saxon Math" all math is yuck as far as I'm concerned. :shock: I can still help the 4th and 1st grader, but Grade 6 is beyond me. Justin, I will be visiting with Taylor's teacher and will find out what she thinks...I looked up this Core thing, and Nebraska is on of the few states that did not sign up for it.

katrina said:
Maybe it's just this area, but I know for a fact kids from South Dakota struggle coming into Nebraska high schools. And all three years my son tutored kids, sometimes as many as ten at a time at SDSU so they wouldn't flunk out of the engineering program. We are falling behind in one of the most important studies. MATH...

well Common Core is only going to make us dumber then.

Nebraska is one of five states that rejected Common Core. :tiphat:

South Dakota is one of thirteen states that have a rejection pending.

Justin, call your school board members then go on up... We had a little dealing with Dean and core math. And it's something they learn and never use, thus loose the ability to do math the way it's expected.... Sad deal really...

Now the book Carter had in south dakota from the fifth grade ( eleven years ago) was twenty years old. I asked and the teacher said that it taught the kids the best for even as old as it was.... Once kids get the basics, math is a building block.
Here on the rez, it seems the goverment uses these kids as guinie pigs as for grant money and I can tell you core math is not the answer.... Good luck.... If I can help let me know.

Both my boys are as differant as night and day, but what they do have in common is the love for math. Because it's the same no matter what with rules to follow and is extremely satisfying once the concepts are followed.

Yanuck said:
I asked Taylor last night and they have "Saxon Math" all math is yuck as far as I'm concerned. :shock: I can still help the 4th and 1st grader, but Grade 6 is beyond me. Justin, I will be visiting with Taylor's teacher and will find out what she thinks...I looked up this Core thing, and Nebraska is on of the few states that did not sign up for it.

Saxon is probably the best-selling math program among homeschoolers. It takes an incremental (little by little) approach to math, introducing a new skill or principle each day, then reviewing these concepts and skills day after day for weeks.

Saxon's approach helps build students' confidence in their ability to "do" math successfully. Students who have used this program receive consistently high scores on standardized math tests.

I know where you are coming from. Kentucky has the same problem: Kids that are lacking the basic skills needed to succeed at the next level. I taught high school pre-engineering and technology education for twenty-eight years, grades 9-12. The 12th grade students I had during my last year did not have the basic skills that the 9th grade students had during my first year.
The problem in KY is twofold: 1) The 1990 Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA), and 2) NCLB falling short. KERA began as a lawsuit to equalize school funding across the state. The result of the lawsuit was a twenty-plus year failure that lowered the knowledge base of several generations of KY kids. At the time in 1990, KY ranked near the bottom nationally as far as high school graduates going on to college and near the bottom in adult literacy. KERA lowered the KY education standards to the point that high school graduates must complete a minimum of two years of post-secondary study to get what kids used to get in high school. Now KY adults are going on to college to get what they used to get in high school. Looks better on the national level!
The assessment instrument utilized with KERA utilized mostly all open response writing in all content areas. So if a student was a good writer, he or she could justify a wrong answer in writing and still get full credit. KY newspapers reported several instances in which elementary students received full credit for wrong answers in math because they justified their answer so well in writing. Sound familiar to common core education? It should because the federal common core curriculum is partially based upon the principals of the failed KY KERA curriculum.
NCLB was a good piece of education legislation. Anyone that has read the entire law understands the main principal is the fact that all children will possess a foundation of basic skills before leaving the third grade level. In other words, kids would master the basic core concepts of reading and math before tackling other subjects. Sounds logical; we all know reading is the key to learning.
However, NCLB fell short when it came to assessment. Legislators caved-in and allowed it to pass without any national standardized assessment. States were allowed to implement their own form of assessment. Several states simply attached NCLB to their present failed system of education. KY, for example, has wasted so many million dollars of taxpayer money on KERA that it simply attached NCLB onto KERA to "save-face" to avoid admitting KERA was a huge mistake. People in several states that were nagging about NCLB when in reality the problem was their present failed system of education just wrapped in a NCLB cloak!
In KY it seems the only purpose of elementary schools is to get kids to school each day to be counted for the daily attendance funding. Everything has to be made "fun" for the kids whether any learning takes place or not. All the "fun" stuff does not allow much time for actual teaching. Our middle schools are teaching the elementary curriculum and our high schools are teaching the middle school curriculum. For example, I had to master the states and capitals during fourth grade. Now KY students do not learn the states and capitals during twelfth grade. Our universities are teaching the remainder of the high school curriculum in the form of 0900 remedial core courses that do not count as college credit. Over seventy-five percent of the freshman class at our regional university has to complete remedial courses. Ah! More graduates attending college! Yeah right and we know why!
Every state has similar problems and will continue until there is some sort of standardized K-12 curriculum implemented in the United States with a standardized assessment instrument utilized in all states. This way if an eight-grader moves from Ohio to Montana it will be taught the same curriculum. By the same token, a standardized national assessment is the only fair way to determine how effective a school really is!

Latest posts