• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Comparing charities and where the money goes

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Subject: charities compared - Pretty Simple Comparison...

As you open your pockets for the next natural disaster or for your Christmas giving, please keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF CEO
Caryl M. Stern receives $1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE . Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2
billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zerosalary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander receives a$0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Disabled American Veterans National Commander receives a$0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander
receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives
a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

No further comment is necessary. Please share this with everyone you can

My parents were exceedingly generous with the Salvation Army and the Shriner's Hospitals for burned and crippled children. I think probably St. Jude's Children's Hospital would be OK, but I haven't looked into it.

My parents also had no use for the Red Cross. :mad:

What we try to do here is pick out a different family every year at Christmas and get them around $200 in groceries or buy something for their kids. Maybe some insulated coveralls for the Dad or a pair of snow tires for their car. Each circumstance is different, and a couple of years ago I told the City to send me one families' electric bill from December thru March. The smiles are priceless and when you'd see the kids walking downtown wearing the shoes you bought for them it makes ya feel good inside. :wink:

I agree take care of your own community first. if everyone would just do that. Then you know exactly where your money is going and none wasted in the middle.
There are many veterans groups that do good and the salvation army is way better than Red Cross thought about doing.

loomixguy said:
My parents were exceedingly generous with the Salvation Army and the Shriner's Hospitals for burned and crippled children. I think probably St. Jude's Children's Hospital would be OK, but I haven't looked into it.

What we try to do here is pick out a different family every year at Christmas and get them around $200 in groceries or buy something for their kids. Maybe some insulated coveralls for the Dad or a pair of snow tires for their car. Each circumstance is different, and a couple of years ago I told the City to send me one families' electric bill from December thru March. The smiles are priceless and when you'd see the kids walking downtown wearing the shoes you bought for them it makes ya feel good inside. :wink:

Same with my parents, Loomixguy. My dad needed to get home from the Army for family reasons and Red Cross did nothing to help, but Salvation Army did.
As a result we've ALWAYS given to the Salvation Army.

Your idea of giving locally is a good one.
We've been donating to the Wounded Warrior Project and VFW and
Disabled Veterans. Without them where would we be?

loomixguy said:

Same with my parents, Loomixguy. My dad needed to get emergency leave from the Army for family reasons and Red Cross did nothing to help, but Salvation Army did. As a result we've ALWAYS given to the Salvation Army.

Your idea of giving locally is a good one.
We've been donating to the Wounded Warrior Project and VFW and
Disabled Veterans. Without them where would we be?

The DAV is really good about going to bat if you have problems with the VA and your health care or disability pensions

Hard to go wrong donating to St. Jude's, Shriners Hospitals and Scottish Rite Hospitals as money is not only used for immediate care but also for extensive research.

http://www.stjude.org/waystohelp

My Dad and Uncle would have nothing to do with the Red Cross...

When my Dad was packed out of the New Guinea Owen Stanley mountains unconcious by the native Fuzzy Wuzzies-- and laid in the hospital in Australia for over a month in the same condition-- the first notification his parents got back home from the Red Cross was a bill for blood the Hospital needed to use in transfusions...Said it wasn't until an Australian nurse/aide affiliate of the Salvation Army came along that she helped him write a letter home to say what had happened to him and where he was !!!

My Uncle was a member of the 6th Ranger Battalion that liberated the Jap POW camp at Cabanatuan in the Philippines ( where many of the Bataan Death March were held)... And he said while the POW's were starving to death- the Japanese were living high on the hog on the Red Cross packages sent for the prisoners...
He always thought of the Red Cross as being aiders and abetters to the enemy after that...

I only donate locally where I can see how and where its being used.....

Primary Children's Medical Center , and Shriners Hospitals for Children.
Kown alot of kids that have gone to Primary, Our oldest went to SLC Shrinners for Scoliosis , we saw so many crippled kids , we had tears in our eyes... but they all had smiles :)

Latest posts