• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Composting of Dead Stock

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
Has/Does anyone on here use composting as a way to deal with dead stock? Insights or ideas are welcome. We are considering doing something a little bit more formal here with some of our losses.

I just use a backhoe - - - one of the large hog farms keeps several concrete bays with about 4' of saw dust in them and they put dead pigs on the saw dust and cover about 6" deep and then the next dead pigs go on top of that and more saw dust.

Surprisingly little extra smell ( or I just can't smell over the pig odors ) and they have a couple of dead almost every morning so it is easier than digging holes all the time.

This guide may be of assistance

http://msuextension.org/publications/AgandNaturalResources/EB0205.pdf

Not sure how to make the URL tag work - sorry

Pretty much the same programme as BMR here. Scavengers will have it all cleaned up in a couple of days at most. I prefer the 22.250 though :D

Same as BMR and Silver here .... drug up behind the feed yard and Don gets a few coyotes. Then I pick up bones that the dog brings back to the yard. She has trouble with the pelvis and hip ... doesn't fit through or under the steel panels. They are the only thing that our retriever retrieves :? Bones eventually make their way to the burn pit or buried in a rock pile. Occasionally the neighbor trapper will take one for bait. Cats get any dead calves .. only a couple big stock so we don't have to give it a lot of thought. I'm sure regulations will eventually work their way here.

Push up a good sized manure pile, let it sit awhile and turn it over once a week until it starts to heat. Then put animals in and cover up well. Keep turning occasionally over the summer and in a few weeks even the biggest animal will be reduced to mush, by fall only the biggest bones left and the pile will be the consistancy of peat and a high nitrogen fertilizer. I do a lot of bowfishing and use compost to dispose of a couple tons of carp a year as well. Works very well.

Latest posts