• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Computer cattle record keeping

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Horseless

Reaction score
Wondering about record keeping for cow calf operations. I have been using CHAPS program from NDSU. It is alright but not very user friendly.

Has anyone just used a simple spreadsheet or a database program to do their record keeping? Which would be a better a spreadsheet or a database?

(Yes, I still use the little red book also)

Maybe I answered my own question after I continued my search. I just found this a free download for the red book spreadsheet. http://www.beefusa.org/prodredbooksandothertools.aspx

The one thing I don't see in there is a tab for records to list each cow. Otherwise it might be the thing to have, its free!

I use it all, I have a program which I bought (check out http://www.lionedge.com ) I use spreadsheets of my own making, to cover anything that the program doesn't. And I have paper copies of most things as well. I made up my own individual animal record as well.

I use CowSense. It works pretty well, but not the easiest thing in the world to learn to use. Once I got it figured out I have liked it really well. I would never use a spreadsheet now that I use CowSense. I can click on one cow and then pull up all of her progeny and ratios, etc. in a nice and tidy list. Real slick deal. If you're not pretty computer savvy you won't get along too well with it. The company has lots of support and a bulletin board on the web site that's free with questions that have been asked in the past so you can learn from someone else's similar issues. Real nice folks that will help a lot.

Other than calving dates and ID numbers I don't see much use to time consuming individual records for commercial cow herds. Preg test and my eyeball can let me know all I need to determine if a cow stays for another year.

I used to be totally consumed with record keeping-I was the ROP weighman for a large area and had generations of them for my own cattle.The first time we had to sell off cows in the drought I kind of lost my enthusiasm for it. If you are really a performance oriented rancher they can be valuable but I found for my situation I was recording everything more for the sake of keeping records rather than putting them to a profitable use. In sellling females it seems ease of care is a bigger selling point than raw performance. I should probably start keeping a more basic set of records on the computer though-the last few years I've just concentrated on identifying cows that aren't worthy of selling replacement females off of-90% of them you can get a handle on that the first couple days post calving.

i tend to agree with gcreek. my calving books hold all the info i need. so between that and my eyes, i don't have much trouble keepings things straight.

I use the AIMS program from the Angus association. I know it was developed for Angus but I use it for my commercial herd as well and it works for me. It is pretty user friendly much more so now than back when I started using it. The folks at the Angus association support area are great to work with as well.

Gizmom

I also use Cowsense and have used it for years...and get along really good with it...The program covers more than what we need or use...It is a more expensive program, but the technical service has been great!

I've been using Cattlemax for a few years, I used spreadsheets prior. Spreadsheets work for storing info, but they are terrible for generating reports. Cattlemax is essentially MS Access Database with a user friendly appearance. The biggest complaint I have with them is they were supposed to come out with a handheld version a few years ago. However, about two months ago they sent out a survey about a handheld version. It looks like they may do it as an app for a smartphone where you access the actual database. Personally I think the ability to easily record something in the field will give you much better records.

I use Ranch Manager, just like randiliana. The things I like about it is that I can sync it to my old Palm Pilot ( $75.00 on ebay) and enter info on the go. It also exports to an excel spreadsheet if you want to do that. That gives you a lot more flexibility for rearranging the date the way you like. It can be used with a wand reader if you can afford one of those too.

And as a bonus, for us Canadians, it will prepare a CCIA compatible spreadsheet so you can age verify your whole calf crop in less than five minutes. That's a big deal to me. 8)

Ben H said:
I've been using Cattlemax for a few years, I used spreadsheets prior. The biggest complaint I have with them is they were supposed to come out with a handheld version a few years ago. However, about two months ago they sent out a survey about a handheld version. It looks like they may do it as an app for a smartphone where you access the actual database. Personally I think the ability to easily record something in the field will give you much better records.

Hi, i've just noticed this post and was hoping to ask you one or two questions about CattleMax. Are you still using CattleMax? What would you advise me to do, facing a choice between CattleMax and Ranch Manager? The biggest reason for me considering Ranch Manager is precisely the idea of a handheld device, but I really like CattleMax. Do you really think that CattleMax will introduce a handheld device software soon? I've been talking to them by email in the last two weeks and they dont sound like they are likely to introduce it, at least not in the next two to three years in my view, and that's a lifetime for me. I need that option very soon or I'm going to have to go for Ranch Manager even though I really like CattleMax.

I have given up waiting for Cattlesoft to make a handheld version for Cattlemax. However I still use it on my own farm and the other herd I manage. The other herd is owned by a family with a few companies and they installed it on one of their server. I access it through a citrix client on either my laptop or my android. It basically brings up a computer screen like you are sitting at a computer where the server is. If you aren't already set up with a server, then it's probably the most expensive option.

What I did on my home system is installed an app on my phone called Xtralogic Remote Desktop http://www.xtralogic.com/ I haven't used Go To My PC http://www.gotomypc.com/ but that is an option by citrix. With these remote access systems you have to have your computer that cattlemax is installed on running.

If you keep your computer sleeping when not using it, you can use what's called Wake On LAN. You remotely send a signal to wake it up.

What I like about these is you are entering the data directly, you aren't messing around with syncing.

What I would prefer, and I think they are thinking about by one of their surveys is a web based version.

The other option I haven't explored is to have it installed on a cloud service.

I started out using excel, it's a great way to organize data and analyze it. It however really lacks compared to what a database can do. Having made the switch away from excel, and to go back, the savings aren't worth it to me.

Latest posts