• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Confederates were "Domestic Terrorists"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
Even if you're a relative of one of the 9/11 hijackers, that man was an out-and-out terrorist, and nothing you can say will change that. And if your great-great-great-granddaddy was a Confederate who stood up for Southern ideals, he too was a terrorist.

They are the same.

As a matter of conscience, I will not justify, understand or accept the atrocious view of Muslim terrorists that their actions represent a just war. They are reprehensible, and their actions a sin against humanity.

And I will never, under any circumstances, cast Confederates as heroic figures who should be honored and revered. No -- they were, and forever will be, domestic terrorists.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Roland Martin.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/11/martin.confederate.extremist/index.html?hpt=C1

hypocritexposer said:
Even if you're a relative of one of the 9/11 hijackers, that man was an out-and-out terrorist, and nothing you can say will change that. And if your great-great-great-granddaddy was a Confederate who stood up for Southern ideals, he too was a terrorist.

They are the same.

As a matter of conscience, I will not justify, understand or accept the atrocious view of Muslim terrorists that their actions represent a just war. They are reprehensible, and their actions a sin against humanity.

And I will never, under any circumstances, cast Confederates as heroic figures who should be honored and revered. No -- they were, and forever will be, domestic terrorists.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Roland Martin.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/04/11/martin.confederate.extremist/index.html?hpt=C1

Well there's a fella with a warped sense of things.

Northern Permanent Slavery Amendment

Below is a copy of Page 251 from The United States Statutes At Large (1861)
showing the actual Constitutional Amendment (at bottom) that was passed by a
vote of over 66% of both Houses of the U. S. Congress, AFTER most Southern
States had withdrawn from the Union.

If ratified by the States, this Constitutional Amendment would have guaranteed
permanent slavery in the United States.

Above is the Northern Permanent Slavery Amendment that would have guaranteed
permanent slavery in the United States and which was passed by the U.S. Congress
on the same day the highest import tax in U. S. history was enacted, the Morrill Tariff
Act of 1861.

The Morrill Tariff Act, promoted by Abraham Lincoln during his Presidential Campaign,
raised import taxes on the Southern people from 20% to 40% to make rich Northern
monopolies richer.

Analysts saw Lincoln's Permanent Slavery Amendment as a ploy to cause Southern
States to return to the Union and pay Lincoln's new tax.

If the Southern States wanted slavery protected forever, then all they needed to do was
return to the Union and ratify this Constitutional Amendment and, of course, pay
Lincoln's new 40% tax.

Of course, the Southern States refused to return, because the issue to them was high,
unfair taxes and self-government, not slavery.

When the South refused to return to the United States, Abraham Lincoln ordered the
invasion of the Confederate States of America to collect the tax.

Both of these Acts were passed by Congress one month before Lincoln started the
War Against Southern Independence by invading Charleston Harbor, South Carolina
with 11 heavily armed U. S. warships, for the sole purpose of collecting Lincoln's newly
passed 40% import tax on Southerners.

lincoln_endorses_slavery_amendment_Statutes-610x1024.jpg

interesting fact..

Slavery was not the cause of this war. Secession was — that and Lincoln's determination to drown the nation in blood if necessary to make the Union whole again.

Nor did Lincoln ever deny it.

In his first inaugural, Lincoln sought to appease the states that had seceded by endorsing a constitutional amendment to make slavery permanent in the 15 states where it then existed. He even offered to help the Southern states run down fugitive slaves.

In 1862, Lincoln wrote Horace Greeley that if he could restore the Union without freeing one slave he would do it. The Emancipation Proclamation of Jan. 1, 1863, freed only those slaves Lincoln had no power to free — those still under Confederate rule. As for slaves in the Union states of Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, they remained the property of their owners.

maybe had facts and history not been re-written the wounds could have healed sooner.. instead of still festering a generation later..

Steve said:
lincoln_endorses_slavery_amendment_Statutes-610x1024.jpg

interesting fact..

Slavery was not the cause of this war. Secession was — that and Lincoln's determination to drown the nation in blood if necessary to make the Union whole again.

Nor did Lincoln ever deny it.

In his first inaugural, Lincoln sought to appease the states that had seceded by endorsing a constitutional amendment to make slavery permanent in the 15 states where it then existed. He even offered to help the Southern states run down fugitive slaves.

In 1862, Lincoln wrote Horace Greeley that if he could restore the Union without freeing one slave he would do it. The Emancipation Proclamation of Jan. 1, 1863, freed only those slaves Lincoln had no power to free — those still under Confederate rule. As for slaves in the Union states of Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, they remained the property of their owners.

maybe had facts and history not been re-written the wounds could have healed sooner.. instead of still festering a generation later..

Secession caused by a rift over slavery. States Rights, but the state's right in question was the South's lovely "peculiar institution".

Ever heard of the Cornerstone Speech? Delivered by VP Stephens of the CSA:

The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution — African slavery as it exists amongst us — the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted.

Stephens went on to say

(Jefferson's) ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. ... Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner–stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition.

As for me, I couldn't care less about "healing" until every racist, unreconstructed neo-Confederate is nothing more than a distant memory.

I suppose Confederate foot soldiers are about as responsible for slavery as the average Wehrmacht rifleman was for the Holocaust - on an individual level not so much.

But to glorify either of their causes is to be blind to history.

Do you care about the racists that exist in your party today? Why worry about the dead when there are plenty of racists living?

Sandhusker said:
Do you care about the racists that exist in your party today? Why worry about the dead when there are plenty of racists living?

Sure I do.

There are plenty of Democrats who are racists. I'm concerned about racist attitudes whether they are held in political parties, by my neighbors, or occasionally found in myself.

At least I acknowledge it exists and has real-world consequences instead of sticking my head in the sand(hills).

And what is the connection, anyway? I thought we were talking about idiotic attempts to memorialize "The Lost Cause".

Southern men at the time of the "War Of Northern Aggression" saw themselves as equal to, and no different than their ancestors who fought for freedom and against excessive taxation less than 100 years before in the American Revolution.

A 40% tariff imposed on British goods going to the South would have brought the South to it's knees just so Lincoln could pay back his big money manufacturing contributors in the North.

The South was "Damned if we do, damned if we don't".

These men should be memorialized and celebrated in the highest manner.

Latest posts