• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Connealy Bull Sale

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
We were going to go, but just couldn't get away. Would of been fun, kinda like ole home week for me. Anyways was wondering how the DD bulls sold? From the average must of not stopped anyone. Please don't let this thread go into a connealy bashing event. Keep it kind.

To me all these genetic defects they keep finding are a way for someone to create a job that makes alot of money DD is an extra leg or hoof sticking out somewhere I have seen it one time in my life on a bucking bull and he was'nt angus he was a crossbred this and that. I don't care how much you test your going to have genes that antagonize other genes.

We have used some conneally bulls ai and they are good cows in my opinion I really like my Conneally Freightliner daughters. I'm sure they had a great day and most ranchers are getting tired of the information overload.

I could not care less never seen one here. I have no idea if they are all DD or not but i think I will AI heifer to some Conneally. Which one?

The DD thing is for real. We had a 6 legged calf here last year and she will have to carry those extra legs were ever she goes. Do not want any more though and will not use any DDC or DDP bulls. The information I have is that most of the deformed calves from this are aborted as very young fetuses resulting in poor pregnancy rates. The bull that this is traced to is Ken Caryl Mr. Angus and he has lots of descendants in commercial and registered herds alike. I for one am thankful that there is a test so that we will not have any more 6 legged calves and we can improve our pregnancy rate as it will help me make more money and help me become more efficient.

Yes WB it is out there. I just think it is so rare that its poubly not going to hurt my checkbook. Now on the other hand bad feet bad bags disposition I know some that still cut some calves out the side should be some sort of a disclamer for a bull that has any chance of a calf that big. IMO theres many thing much worse that should be disclosed.

Thanks 3ML@C I will try him. I am going to try Musgrave Boulder to whats youre opinion of him? Any other recomended bulls out there?

cows101 said:
Thanks 3ML@C I will try him. I am going to try Musgrave Boulder to whats youre opinion of him? Any other recomended bulls out there?

I really don't know to many black angus bulls. My cattle are red angus. My dad had a nice group of black heifers he went up to Montana and bought a year ago. We bred them to connealy in sure. We sold them since he had his wreck In December but checked up on them. They calved real nice and calves are really growing. Our Genex guy says he has lots of customers breed all heifers to in sure. Fwiw

We used Conneally Right Answer on heifers and cows we have a 1/2 dozen of them selling in our sale they are nice enough cattle grew well and are easy going the heifers are pretty nice. They are better than Final Answer heifers in my opinion that bull did'nt click here.

Denny said:
Faster horses said:
I help some people around here select bulls and I've advised them against Final Answer.

Smart woman

That surprised me. Thanks.

The first two reasons: BonView Bando 598 and Traveler 71.
They did away with 598 at one time and then brought him back....big mistake...IMO

We have final answer here and like them! Go figure, we always run aginst the grain. We have Bando here too. And we still make a profit. Must be someone feels sorry for us. LOL anyways a great article in ABS spring flyer on connealys. Jerry was a grade ahead of me in high school and jack was a grade behind the oldest girl.???? sheesh can't remember her name this morning I'm nite calving for the guys. Was my senior. Anyways she was a phenom on the basketball court. I loved watching her play under the basket. I know personally the more info on a bull I can get makes my selection right or wrong easier.

katrina, we have some FA heifers that we bought and they are OK. I don't like them as well as our Glanworth heifers, but that might just be me. We have used the Bando 9074 bull and they were/are fantastic cows. We have also used a Special Focus, and In Focus sons. This year the plan is to AI about 200 with sexed semen to Cole Creek Cedar Ridge, and finish off our OCC Unmistakeable semen. The first crop of OCC is just hitting the ground and I like them quite a bit 2 days in (LOL). We have used a bit of Connealy stuff and it has worked OK.
I saw some SAV Angus Valley calves this spring and (blasphemy) I like them quite a bit. Not sure how well they would fit here, but we are considering using him 2 to 3 years out.

Latest posts