• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Consigned heifers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LCP

Reaction score
I bred some extra heifers this summer, came up with about 65 bred ones to sell this fall. I consigned them to the same barn I bought them at. Suppose it was early September when I consigned them to the local barn's first Special Bred Cow & Hfr sale, Nov 5. Only one other consignment at that time. Two weeks ago, I open the paper and see a new consignment, 700 head of bred heifers...by the sale barn owners! Am I wrong to have a problem with that? Seems like they should have been up front about that large of a consignment of their own cattle. 100, even 200, I wouldn't have a problem with, but seems to me like they are flooding that market on the very day I intended to sell mine (theres about 500-600 other heifers consigned from other sellers). I feel they should have spread theirs out over a few sales or something. Maybe I am wrong - maybe it will bring more buyers to the sale? Looking for some perspective on this, because I have half a mind to withdraw them from the sale and go private treaty or to another barn.

To be fair, one of the owners (who doesn't have an interest in those bred hfrs) has sent a few guys my way who called him looking for bred hfrs to buy on the sale. But even if I'm early in the sale order, why would you bid up on mine when theres another 700 behind the door?

It does seem like a shoddy way to do business.
Either sell a couple hundred over a few sales or list theirs early and build a sale around them so consignors know what's coming.

Big Muddy rancher said:
It does seem like a shoddy way to do business.
Either sell a couple hundred over a few sales or list theirs early and build a sale around them so consignors know what's coming.

Exactly----at the very least: "We'll have 700 of our own in that sale."

One might seriously think that people running auctions for the long haul might realize that when they give themselves preferential treatment or when they let buyers take turns stealing odd/small lots, it's gonna hurt 'em, long term.

I prefer not to deal with people that stupid---or ones who think I'm that dumb. Commission in Montana is commonly around 2 3/4%----Outa state is closer to 1%, it's closer to where most are going to be fed anyhow and they like Montana calves.

It could be like here you wouldn't know who's they were truth fully.

Latest posts