• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL closes border to Canada and Mexico live beef imports.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A very knowledgeable cattle-buyer and good friend of mine told me yesterday that the US kill-plants are docking Canadian fats up to 12 cents a lb. to "cover" the cost of segragating and labeling due to COOL. The basis was already 7 to 9 cts.(correct me if I'm wrong here)
Our six- weight calves in BC yesterday were worth nearly what SDak calves brought today on the net, doesn't make much sense for all the bull sh!! going on.
Thanks Guys. :???:

gcreekrch said:
A very knowledgeable cattle-buyer and good friend of mine told me yesterday that the US kill-plants are docking Canadian fats up to 12 cents a lb. to "cover" the cost of segragating and labeling due to COOL. The basis was already 7 to 9 cts.(correct me if I'm wrong here)
Our six- weight calves in BC yesterday were worth nearly what SDak calves brought today on the net, doesn't make much sense for all the bull sh!! going on.

Whats the exchange rate between countries? Maybe thats the differance.

Our dollar has been .85 to .87 US for the last couple of weeks which should make our cattle worth more per lb. less freight. COOL has taken the wind out of our sails for the time.
I do believe that some of this will shake out after a while, in the meantime it doesn't look real shiny.

gcreekrch said:

I don't beleive that for a second. They're docking because they can, which is a result of no competition. They're putting pressure on you guys so you'll fight COOL for them - so they can keep playing you against us to keep prices down for all of us.

Think about it, they are already segregating for Korea, so you know they can do it easily. Were they docking for that? What are the added costs of simply adjusting a schedule? Slaughter Canadian cattle on Friday and change the program to print "Canada" instead of "US" on the stickers. How flipping hard and expensive is that? Don't buy their BS.

Sandhusker said:
gcreekrch said:

I don't beleive that for a second. They're docking because they can, which is a result of no competition. They're putting pressure on you guys so you'll fight COOL for them - so they can keep playing you against us to keep prices down for all of us.

Think about it, they are already segregating for Korea, so you know they can do it easily. Were they docking for that? What are the added costs of simply adjusting a schedule? Slaughter Canadian cattle on Friday and change the program to print "Canada" instead of "US" on the stickers. How flipping hard and expensive is that? Don't buy their BS.

I agree with you Sandy, the problem is... they ARE doing it. You have to admit that the loophole was created when you guys asked for COOL.
I'm not trying to stir up more sh!t, just stating what was relayed to me. Whether they are exact or not, I don't know but I do believe there is truth behind them.

Sandhusker said:
gcreekrch said:

The problem for the large packers is having enough Canadian or Mexican cattle to fill a shift...when a shift is full, a few strokes on a computer is the only expense. The 12 cents difference is an opportunity for plants that can easily fill a shift...small and medium plants...just the ones large packers are trying to put out of business. And what about the cattle processed in Canada?????

Sandhusker said:
gcreekrch said:

So they are docking because they can. And they can because some protectionist r-calfers stupidly asked for it, thinking they could help themselves by trying to live in an isolationist little world.

Instead, it back-fired and now the packers are robbing us and using their "stolen" Canadian cattle to depress the American prices. So once again, it's Canada's fault, right?

WRONG!!!! You r-calfers are giving the packers the ammunition for the gun that they use to rob all of us.

What sheer brilliance on your part. You must be so proud of yourselves.

I'll argue that they can because Canada allowed their packing industry to come under foreign control. How could Tyson and Cargill bid lower if there were Canadian packers in the market, too? Is that R-CALF's fault, too? YOU guys gave the packers the ammunition. Now you expect US producers to take the bullet. I don't understand what we owe you.

There's been numerous domestic groups up there trying to get Canadian-owned packers going, and your government turns their back. That isn't R-CALF's fault, either.

Canada could of taken Japan and Korea, both very lucrative markets, if you would of had the common sense to allow BSE testing. I suppose that is somehow R-CALF's fault, too?

It's not R-CALF's fault that you gave away the keys to the house and then have dropped the ball every time you've had a chance to so something about it.

Via the basic laws of supply/demand, every Canadian beef that comes down here and is mixed with ours increases supply and lowers prices. You can't argue against that. Another thing that you can't argue against is that our prices largely set your prices. Now, with that in mind, how is this current situtation of US packers selling Canadian beef as US benefitting you?

I'll argue that they can because Canada allowed their packing industry to come under foreign control

Unlike American cattlemen, who kept Brazil from getting control?

How could Tyson and Cargill bid lower if there were Canadian packers in the market, too? Is that R-CALF's fault, too? YOU guys gave the packers the ammunition. Now you expect US producers to take the bullet. I don't understand what we owe you.

All you owe us is to live up to your trade agreements.

There's been numerous domestic groups up there trying to get Canadian-owned packers going, and your government turns their back. That isn't R-CALF's fault, either.

Never said that was, but I bet if the Canadian government got involved, there would be trade action against us.

Canada could of taken Japan and Korea, both very lucrative markets, if you would of had the common sense to allow BSE testing. I suppose that is somehow R-CALF's fault, too?

No, we'll blame that on the US putting pressure on our government. Call up the CFIA and ask them. They'll tell you that it's U.S. pressure that's setting the standard.

It's not R-CALF's fault that you gave away the keys to the house and then have dropped the ball every time you've had a chance to so something about it.

Big talk from a country that doesn't even have an independent chicken industry left. If it's so easy, then drum JBS out of town.

Via the basic laws of supply/demand, every Canadian beef that comes down here and is mixed with ours increases supply and lowers prices. You can't argue against that.

Maybe we should adopt that argument and stop American beef coming here? I would bet that the percentage of our beef supply that is American is a lot higher than the percentage of yours that is Canadian.

Another thing that you can't argue against is that our prices largely set your prices. Now, with that in mind, how is this current situtation of US packers selling Canadian beef as US benefitting you?

It's not Canadian beef under the way the existing trade agreement is written. It's American beef made from Canadian cattle. Don't like it? Change the agreement. Legally. :roll:

And once you've drummed the Brazilians out of town, then talk to us about letting foreign interests take over. It's easy to talk the talk. Walking the walk is another story.

Kato, "Unlike American cattlemen, who kept Brazil from getting control? "

Kato, in case you haven't noticed, US cattlemen are doing all they can to keep JBS out of the US. We've gone to the state's Attorney Generals and have testified in Washington half a dozen times. I've personally contacted both of my Senators, my Rep, my State Senator, and my states Atty. What did you and/or the CCA do when you were being invaded?

Kato, "All you owe us is to live up to your trade agreements."

Trade Agreements do not overrule acts of Congress.

Kato, "Never said that was, but I bet if the Canadian government got involved, there would be trade action against us."

That's wasn't the excuse that I heard. What rule of what agreement stops a government from helping domestic industry?

Kato, "No, we'll blame that on the US putting pressure on our government. Call up the CFIA and ask them. They'll tell you that it's U.S. pressure that's setting the standard. "

That's the crappiest excuse that I've ever heard. It's not R-CALF's fault that your government needs to grow a pair.

Kato, "Maybe we should adopt that argument and stop American beef coming here? I would bet that the percentage of our beef supply that is American is a lot higher than the percentage of yours that is Canadian. "

I bet it's not.

Kato, "It's not Canadian beef under the way the existing trade agreement is written. It's American beef made from Canadian cattle. Don't like it? Change the agreement. Legally'

You want to talk legalities now on an agreement that is not legal under our Constitution? Besides that, are you going to tell me that Canada's prices do not follow the US's?

Government of Canada
Comments on Interim Final Rule
Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling

Embassy of Canada
501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW.
Washington. D.C. 20001-2114

September 5, 2008

Mr. Lloyd Day
Administrator, Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS)
Country of Origin Labeling Program
United States Department of Agriculture
STOP 0254, Room 2607-S
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250-0254

Dear Mr. Day,

The Government of Canada appreciates the opportunity to comment on the August 1, 2008 Federal Register notice of the interim final rule on the mandatory country of origin labeling (COOL) provisions of the Food Security and Energy Act 2008.

Fundamentally, Canada's comments stem from our concern that this program will impose unnecessary costs on affected North American industries. The substantial volume of two- way trade between Canada and the United States has been a testament to the integrated and cooperative nature of many of our industries. Indeed, trade with Canada supports more than 7.1 million jobs in the United States. Trade is also vital in the agricultural sector, and Canada is in fact the largest single-country export market for the United States with more than US$15 billion in sales last year. Focus on the size of the relationship, however, does not fully reveal how trade can be so mutually-beneficial. For example, Canadian inputs in terms of cattle, hogs and their meats facilitate the ability of the United States to export to third markets. The mandatory COOL provisions could, therefore, also upset North American competitiveness vis-à-vis other markets.

In the current economic context, I believe we agree that ensuring a safe, efficient supply chain and supporting the overall competitiveness on both sides of the border are key priorities. In this regard, our mutual interest is for COOL to be implemented in a manner that is the least disruptive to industry, is flexible enough to avoid unintended consequences, and does not add unnecessary costs or administrative burden. Our comments are submitted toward this end. However, should implementation of the subject mandatory COOL provisions result in an adverse impact on Canada, the Government is prepared to consider all of its options.

Specific comments and suggestions are outlined in the attached. I, and Embassy staff, remain available to meet with you, or your staff for further discussion. For any clarifications, please also feel free to contact Pamela Simpson at 202-682-7629.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Wilson
Ambassador

c.c.: Desk Office for Agriculture, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office
of Management and Budget

You want to talk legalities now on an agreement that is not legal under our Constitution?

That's up to the people who signed you on. Not us. If your people didn't follow your constitution that's up to you to fix it. Unlike some, we don't care to meddle in the internal politics of other countries.

Besides that, are you going to tell me that Canada's prices do not follow the US's?

No. They do follow the U.S. Just as the price of just about everything else in this country does. There is not much here, from cars to t shirts that is not tied to prices in your country, except maybe the supply managed livestock, and they are the only people in the livestock business right now that are making a living. Coincidentally, they are also under pressure 24 / 7 from U.S. interests that would love to dismantle them and take them over too.

As for that crappiest excuse? I heard it straight from the CFIA. As for our government growing a pair, there's nothing I'd like better. You really have no idea what the consequences of pissing your government off are though, do you? :roll: :roll: It isn't something to take lightly, but I sure wish they'd give it a whirl.

While blame is being placed on COOL, perhaps you all should consider the downturn in economy has lowered demand.

A couple months ago, the Midwest Cattleman had an article that MEAT CONSUMPTION was down 30 percent in the USA and due to the downturned economy cattle prices will be even cheaper next year. There will not be a turnaround in prices until late 2010.

We import 3 pounds of beef for every one pound that we export. Every American needs to hammer their congressional leaders with equal parity, if we only export one pound we should only import one pound.

65 percent of what Canada exports (in all services) comes to the USA. I read an article six months ago that the trade surplus $$$ that Canada has with the USA will go negative next year. Do you Canadians realize that? You've allowed yourselves to draw on the USA teat for so long that you don't know what to do with your exports if they don't come to the USA and the American consumer is debt ridden and tapped out.

I've been watching for the past six months doing my own survey based on this rural area and the people ARE NOT putting meat in their grocery carts.

I just think you're blaming COOL when its the economy.

MoGal said:
While blame is being placed on COOL, perhaps you all should consider the downturn in economy has lowered demand.

A couple months ago, the Midwest Cattleman had an article that MEAT CONSUMPTION was down 30 percent in the USA and due to the downturned economy cattle prices will be even cheaper next year. There will not be a turnaround in prices until late 2010.

We import 3 pounds of beef for every one pound that we export. Every American needs to hammer their congressional leaders with equal parity, if we only export one pound we should only import one pound.

65 percent of what Canada exports (in all services) comes to the USA. I read an article six months ago that the trade surplus $$$ that Canada has with the USA will go negative next year. Do you Canadians realize that? You've allowed yourselves to draw on the USA teat for so long that you don't know what to do with your exports if they don't come to the USA and the American consumer is debt ridden and tapped out.

I've been watching for the past six months doing my own survey based on this rural area and the people ARE NOT putting meat in their grocery carts.

I think Canadians are a little more aware of just how much trade (or lack of in some cases) goes on between the 2 countries than you give us credit for. What will your State do if Canadians don't have any money to buy your goods?

In 2006, Canada was Missouri's most important trading partner, purchasing more goods than the state's next five foreign markets combined. Bilateral trade continued its steady upward momentum totaling $7.7 billion. Cross-border merchandise exchange surpassed $20 million on a typical day. Missouri exported $4.6 billion in commodities to its northern NAFTA partner and imported $3.1 billion worth.

The Canada-U.S. trade and investment partnership

Canada and the United States enjoy an economic partnership unique in the contemporary world. We share one of the world's largest and most comprehensive trading relationships, which supports millions of jobs in each country. Since the implementation of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement in 1989, two-way trade has tripled. Under NAFTA, growth in bilateral trade between Canada and the U.S. has averaged almost 6.0% annually over the last decade. In 2006, our bilateral trade in goods and services was $577 billion, with over $1.6 billion worth of goods and services crossing the border every single day.

Canada's trade with the United States is equivalent to 53% of our GDP. The United States represents roughly 4/5 of Canada's exports and over 1/2 of our imports. Canada, in return, represents 22.2% of America's exports and 16.5% of its imports. To date, Canada is the number one foreign market for goods exports for 36 of the 50 states, and ranked in the top three for another 4 states. In fact, Canada is a larger market for U.S. goods than all 27 countries of the European Union combined, which has more than 15 times the population of Canada.
Canada and the U.S. have also one of the world's largest investment relationships. The United States is the largest foreign investor in Canada and the most popular destination for Canadian investment. In 2006, U.S. direct investment in Canada was worth more than $241 billion USD, while Canadian direct investment in the United States was close to $197 billion USD, which makes Canada the 5th largest investor in the U.S., accounting for 8.9% of all Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in that country.

Almost all our exports and imports cross the Canada-US border without incident, a remarkable achievement for a trading relationship worth almost two billion dollars a day. Our two countries, however, do maintain key differences in economic policy, and respond in different ways to world economic conditions and the global free trade agenda. In cases where we have not been able to resolve our differences through consultation, we have relied on WTO and NAFTA dispute settlement procedures. Canada believes very strongly in a rules-based trading system with clear procedures for solving disputes.
http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/washington/trade_and_investment/trade_partnership-en.asp

MoGal said:

Well MoGal, perhaps we should turn the oil tap off too, it would help your domestic oil (and diesel and gas) price go up, after all you don't seem to like imports - oh wait a minute, I forgot, you NEED our oil to keep your lights on and we are your BIGGEST oil supplier and you don't need to spend BILLIONS or TRILLIONS of dollars on military expenditures to keep the oil flowing south like you do from the Middle East but we all know that you would if necessary so shut up about trade inequities unless you want to talk about the whole picture. :) :)

Just so you don't go getting ideas - we do NOT have weapons of mass destruction! :lol: :lol: :lol: P.S. Pass that along to Dubya, wouldya?

I personally wish you all would turn your oil tap off so that the American people will get angry that we're not drilling in our own country. We need to drill anywhere and everywhere there's oil and tell the environmental protectionists to shove it.

Instead we're building up non christian communist countries over in the middle east. (Btw, did you know England is about to become the first European country that ISLAM is its preferred religion?)

What will your State do if Canadians don't have any money to buy your goods?

I think everyone is finding out what Americans (not just Missourians) do when they don't have any money to buy goods.
Just ask China or India. It won't be on the MSM news, but China has closed over 50,000 factories.

Our congressional leaders (whom many need to be voted out badly) think we can get deeper in debt to get out of debt. I don't know anyone who can borrow more money to get out of debt. As long as we keep going this route, we will be bankrupt but that is the Federal Reserve's goal....... to bankrupt this country so they can have a North American Union and the Amero currency.

I don't mind Canadian beef coming south...as long as when it gets to the store, it has a big ole maple leaf on the package. Is that too much to ask for access to the world's largest economy? If we are going to have free trade, I want it with our allies.

You Canadians seem to have a conundrum...you hate Dubya, but he is your free trade friend...you love Obama, but he wants to renegotiate NAFTA??????????????

RobertMac said:
I don't mind Canadian beef coming south...as long as when it gets to the store, it has a big ole maple leaf on the package. Is that too much to ask for access to the world's largest economy? If we are going to have free trade, I want it with our allies.

You Canadians seem to have a conundrum...you hate Dubya, but he is your free trade friend...you love Obama, but he wants to renegotiate NAFTA??????????????

some "love" Obama, BTW did you know he's for COOL? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Establish Country of Origin Labeling: Obama supports immediate implementation of the Country of Origin Labeling law so that American producers can distinguish their products from imported ones.
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/rural/

Exactly RM, let the consumer choose.

But label every country with their own country, period. None of this generic labeling that says it could be from x, y, or z.. that should not be allowed.

MoGal said:
Exactly RM, let the consumer choose.

But label every country with their own country, period. None of this generic labeling that says it could be from x, y, or z.. that should not be allowed.

If they are not proud of it enough to put their label on it, it shouldn't be allowed in our markets.

COOL is a no brainer, but republicans like Mississippi's Senator Thad Cochran who defunded its implementation, have been blocking it. Let them explain the lead in toys sold to children and the other abuses because we don't really believe in Homeland Security when it comes to trade.

Tex

RobertMac said:

Canadian beef is labeled when it crosses the border..

But Canadian cattle are turned into American beef when the are fed and processed in the USA.

Latest posts