• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL closes border to Canada and Mexico live beef imports.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchero

Reaction score
I hope all you COOL supporters are happy now we Mexicans and Canadians can't sell our feeder cattle to US feeders. What's the matter you don't like a little market competition? We'll have to see how you like it, after things get sorted out. Don't forget Mexico is or was the BIGGEST importer of US beef. But now there is a lot of talk in Mexico about closing our border to US boxed beef and opening up more packing plants of our own to start competing for the US export market as well. I know the Japanese and Koreans are already talking to us about it. We'll see how you like it when your production costs increase, long time foreign customers don't buy US, the IRS has your numbers, and your government has to tell you when you can wipe. Still spreading the American Dream. You still don't get it do you.

Ranchero said:
I hope all you COOL supporters are happy now we Mexicans and Canadians can't sell our feeder cattle to US feeders. What's the matter you don't like a little market competition? We'll have to see how you like it, after things get sorted out. Don't forget Mexico is or was the BIGGEST importer of US beef. But now there is a lot of talk in Mexico about closing our border to US boxed beef and opening up more packing plants of our own to start competing for the US export market as well. I know the Japanese and Koreans are already talking to us about it. We'll see how you like it when your production costs increase, long time foreign customers don't buy US, the IRS has your numbers, and your government has to tell you when you can wipe. Still spreading the American Dream. You still don't get it do you.

Packers and feedlots will continue to import cattle from Mexico & Canada.
The American consumer, when they go to the grocery store, make the assumption that the meat they buy is "made in America". The packers have reaped the benefits of this assumption. Now with COOL consumers will see "product of America" or "product of Mexico or Canada".

As far a building packing plants in Mexico that's sound like a good idea for your country...mayby you will create some jobs in your own country, so your people will have work at home.

Yes COOL is stopping imports of Mexican cattle. Packers and feedlots are NOT buying Mexican cattle. What makes you think all the consumers want born in the US beef? You forget the US is a nation of immigrants, mostly of hispanic descent ( ie; Mexico). The Mexican/Americans I know prefer beef from their mother country. Most of the US wants to buy food for a lower proce and if that means Mexico and/or Canada origin, they don't care about "Made in America". To prove my point just look at all the other non-"Made in America" products and commodities being happily purchased by US consumers every second. You want to sell Mexico your boxed beef by the millions of tons and have one-way trade only. That's just about how arrogant many US producers think. I'm with you, let the consumer decide, I think it will backfire in your face.

Mexico meat exports to United States suspended
By Drovers news source (Wednesday, September 10, 2008)

Safety issues identified by USDA inspectors in seven Mexican pork and beef processing plants have led to a voluntary suspension of exports from Mexico to the United States. According to USDA, Mexican officials and plant operators are implementing the necessary corrective actions, but the country has stopped shipping meat and poultry products to the United States to allow time for USDA officials to do further facility inspections.
http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=4796

Here I thought the majority of it was over the USDA finally awakening to and listening to the US producers and consumers that have for years known the Mexican cattle, beef, and pork were highly inferior and didn't meet standards comparable to US product both in how they were raised- but also in how they were processed, inspected, and shipped- and were a danger not only to consumer health but the US cattle herd health.....

But if its M-COOL doing it, and finally bringing it to the attention it should have received years ago - I gotta give M-COOL an ATTA BOY :clap: :wink: :lol:

Ranchero said:
Yes COOL is stopping imports of Mexican cattle. Packers and feedlots are NOT buying Mexican cattle. What makes you think all the consumers want born in the US beef? You forget the US is a nation of immigrants, mostly of hispanic descent ( ie; Mexico). The Mexican/Americans I know prefer beef from their mother country. Most of the US wants to buy food for a lower proce and if that means Mexico and/or Canada origin, they don't care about "Made in America". To prove my point just look at all the other non-"Made in America" products and commodities being happily purchased by US consumers every second. You want to sell Mexico your boxed beef by the millions of tons and have one-way trade only. That's just about how arrogant many US producers think. I'm with you, let the consumer decide, I think it will backfire in your face.

COOL is not stopping anybody from buying anything. If there is a market for Mexican beef, you can bet somebody will find it. My guess is that unless you are from Mexico, Mexican beef does't sound all that appetizing and the people who actually market beef know that, so they're not buying as much.

We have had a market until recently. Here's what the USDA Market report had to say this week: No problem. I've weathered bigger storms than this one. There always has been and always will be a market for Mexican cattle. Even most of the first US ranchers had to get their start from Mexican cattle.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/al_ls626.txt

AL_LS626
Las Cruces, N.M. USDA Market News

Friday, Sep 12, 2008

Mexico to TX. & NM. Weekly Cattle Import Summary

Receipts EST: 1,600 Week ago Act: 1,658 Year ago Act: 11,114

Compared to last week, not enough current sales to establish trend
or quote prices. Trade slow, demand light. Buyers are still waiting
to see what effect new COOL regulations have on prices packers are
willing to pay for Mexican and Canadian cattle. Bulk of supply con-
sisted of steers and spayed heifers weighing 300-600 lbs.

Feeder steers: Medium and large 1&2,

Ranchero said:

You can still sell to the USA. You just need people willing to buy it, that is what competition is all about. The only competition we had before was to see who could sell for less. It has to he labeled to have competition. How else will you know? PACKERS were buying it cheap and selling it as USA. Our production costs are increasing now, due to high fuel (greenies don't want us to drill here), trade agreements and etc. Don't know how labeling Mexico beef out will drive it higher. If you could sell it to others, great. Then jobs will be created and all the illegals will stay home and work. How will the IRS have our numbers because we label Mexican beef? I think you are scared of competition, not us. Welfare has just ended. You will have to work at advertising and selling your beef over here now instead of us doing it. If there is a market for it here, then great. I am not against your beef here, if there is an honest market for it. But before no one knew it was yours or ours. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ranchero said:
We have had a market until recently. Here's what the USDA Market report had to say this week: No problem. I've weathered bigger storms than this one. There always has been and always will be a market for Mexican cattle. Even most of the first US ranchers had to get their start from Mexican cattle.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/al_ls626.txt

AL_LS626
Las Cruces, N.M. USDA Market News

Friday, Sep 12, 2008

Mexico to TX. & NM. Weekly Cattle Import Summary

Receipts EST: 1,600 Week ago Act: 1,658 Year ago Act: 11,114

Compared to last week, not enough current sales to establish trend
or quote prices. Trade slow, demand light. Buyers are still waiting
to see what effect new COOL regulations have on prices packers are
willing to pay for Mexican and Canadian cattle. Bulk of supply con-
sisted of steers and spayed heifers weighing 300-600 lbs.

Feeder steers: Medium and large 1&2,

There's no way of knowing if you had a market with consumers because they never knew if they were buying Mexican beef or not.

Just finished reading Texans post in coffeeshop about the oil and Gas refinerys that are going to be affected by the hurricane. Sad deal,scary to see the Texan ranchers friends in harms way.

What I'm wondering....just what country will the US be lookin to help them out in the oil and gas issues that are likely to happen if these refinerys get hit as hard as its looking.

See OT and Sandhusker shite runs downhill :? Pretty ignorant when a group of people get pleasure out of seeing another country suffer just so's theres can prosper.99% of the ranchers on here are darn decent people then thiers the 1%"protectionist" group that doesn't see there faces for looking. All three of our countries would do well to work together instead of divided like you two boys seem to enjoy striving for...Sad,I expected more out of you both.... :(

A good guess is that the usual bunch bashing and litigating their way to so called prosperity nirvana on this site will be surprised at the end result of COOL..........and blame others for it!

OT forgot to click on the 'more information' site on the link he posted. The story, from 9-5-'08, tells how Mexico self-suspended export to the USA while thorough inspections of plants were conducted by the USA. Later stories have stated exports have resumed.

The 'sky is falling groupies' need to get their stories together, BTW. That source of al that is factual in fantasyland Derry Brownfield show, within the past couple of days has spouted about how trucks full of cattle (or beef, who could know?) are pouring across the Mexican border without even pausing for inspection of any sort.........and here Ranchero says the border is effectively closed!

BTW, Ranchero, I'm not putting you in that group with OT, Sandhusker, and their patron saint, Derry Brownfield....but using the contrast in the two 'stories'.

FACT: something like 2% of total species of meat imported into the US is from Mexico.

Guess: the US exports more than that back to Mexico.....for use by the upper income (40% of their population are very wealthy) plus their tourist business and export trade.

FACT: COOL labels will be on maybe as much as FIVE PERCENT of beef IMPORTED into the USA!!!!!

That is ALL the beef that is sold at retail in LARGE retail stores.

LARGE retail stores are the ONLY ones forced to label imported beef.

ALL beef sold in restaurants, fast food, processed or prepared meals or entrees, or in any way changed from the muscle cuts sold at retail are EXEMPT from COOL law.

Such a lot of hot air and expense for the beef industry over a marketing ploy falsely promoted as a food safety issue. Absolutely shameful.

There are more effective means, currently growing in use, of genuine consumer driven private labels such as Ranchers Renaissance, and other branded beef available in most markets, not to mention the various individuals posting on this site who market their own beef.

A prediction: the effect of COSTLY COOL will be a yawn, at best.

MRJ

Mrs.Greg said:
Just finished reading Texans post in coffeeshop about the oil and Gas refinerys that are going to be affected by the hurricane. Sad deal,scary to see the Texan ranchers friends in harms way.

What I'm wondering....just what country will the US be lookin to help them out in the oil and gas issues that are likely to happen if these refinerys get hit as hard as its looking.

See OT and Sandhusker shite runs downhill :? Pretty ignorant when a group of people get pleasure out of seeing another country suffer just so's theres can prosper.99% of the ranchers on here are darn decent people then thiers the 1%"protectionist" group that doesn't see there faces for looking. All three of our countries would do well to work together instead of divided like you two boys seem to enjoy striving for...Sad,I expected more out of you both.... :(

I think it's ignorant when a group of people think that a label that gives consumers information that they want is going to hurt their sales. It makes me wonder what they were selling in the first place.

I also think it's ignorant when a group of people can't see that mixing beef was one of the tools the big packers use to play you against us - which lowers the prices we ALL receive. You think COOL will hurt you because you're buying what the packers are telling you - the very same packers who have you under their thumb and want to keep you there. When you hear "COOL is bad", track down the source and consider that.

Sandhusker said:
Mrs.Greg said:

I think it's ignorant when a group of people think that a label that gives consumers information that they want is going to hurt their sales. It makes me wonder what they were selling in the first place.

I also think it's ignorant when a group of people can't see that mixing beef was one of the tools the big packers use to play you against us - which lowers the prices we ALL receive. You think COOL will hurt you because you're buying what the packers are telling you - the very same packers who have you under their thumb and want to keep you there. When you hear "COOL is bad", track down the source and consider that.
I'll tell you what little banker boy,get on your phone today,call your senator and any other politian in higher places,tell them along with the live cattle crossing the border,you want all the boxed meat also crossing the border stopped,cause guess what you can be self
suffient..... :lol2: :lol2: I call BS on that!!!! If it were true you guys would have banned the box stuff during the R-calf fiasco... :roll:

I have no prob . with country of origin being put on meat,happens here all the time,my problam is the fact you "think" attacking other countrys ranching business as a way to make yours appear better. :?

Why is everything an attack on you? I don't understand that victim mentality. We want our own countrymen to eat our product, and it's an attack?

Do you understand the basic relationship on price of supply and demand?

Sandhusker said:
Why is everything an attack on you? I don't understand that victim mentality. We want our own countrymen to eat our product, and it's an attack?

Do you understand the basic relationship on price of supply and demand?
You bet I do...you guys demand our boxed meat,we supply it.You get better priced meat for a pitance. :?

As for a victim....theres always a victim at the end of a bully. Thats just what your trying to do to both Canada and Mexico,bully us into submission.The thing is Sandy,whether you like it or not all three of our countrys are bound together,maybe try working together instead of the bully tactic.

Let me ask you again; If demand remains constant, what happens to prices when supply goes up and what happens to prices when supply goes down?

Tyson and Cargill in Canada buy your cattle cheap because you have no where else to go with them. They ship boxed loins with 'Product of Canada' labels on it to USA fabrication plants. There the loins are cut into steaks..."further processing"...which, by law, allows them to put 'Product of USA' labels on the steaks, then sells them to the most lucrative markets...as USA beef. COOL will require them to keep the 'Product of Canada' label on the steaks!

:???: :roll: :???: :roll: And, what are you upset about??????

If I ship a 300-400 lb Mexican born steer to a Texas ranch and it spends the next 800-900 lbs. growing and being cared for in the US. Wouldn't that make the steer about 25% Mexican and 75% US, so by percentage of growth the steer is 3/4 US produced. So really the country of origin is mostly US, since it spends the majority of its life growing in the US. I think it's a US beef. Maybe the new COOL label should say what percentage of each country it is from, if you want to accurately inform the consumer. You know what? A very large percentage of Mexican cattle exported to the US is being sent to the average rancher that just wants to stock his ranch with some extra gentle, hearty, and healthy feeder cattle. I know because I sell feeder cattle to them every year. The only reason that COOL has temporarily delayed the import of Mexican and Canadian live cattle isn't because the consumer wants US beef, it's because the packers are concerned about delays in the processing of the beef, nothing more. They know the public is going to buy the steak of their choice when they are at the grocery store regardless of country the animal was born in. It's not because US born beef is any better, any way. The consumer will buy his meat based on what looks good and what he can afford to eat on any given day. If you've read the actual COOL law wording, you will find that not all beef cuts has to be labeled. So what is the real affect on the consumer? He won't get the whole story no matter what law your rich lobbyist friends get passed. And as usual the main victims will ultimately be the average rancher on both sides of the border and the consumer with higher food prices due to the added beuracracy. So you fellers just stand on your soap boxes and rant for more protectionist laws (remember for every law passed a freedom is taken away). When are you going to figure out we are a world community and that Mexico and Canada are your neighbers. There may come a day when you might need to call for a favor from your neighbors to the North or South. Or do you want to build that big fence around the mighty USA to keep everybody, friends and foe out and sheeple in. It didn't work for East Germany or China and it won't work in North America either.

What delays would the packers be concerned about? They can keep beef seperate according to country of origin easily, they're already doing it. Can you keep alfalfa seperate from rye? It's the same thing - not very hard.

If you want to talk freedom, I think a basic freedom is knowing where the hell your food comes from. The people have overwhelmingly said they want COOL, and if you were paying attention, the high paid lobbyists were on the OTHER side!

The reason the packers and their lobbyists were fighting COOL is because the consumer not knowing where their beef comes from allows them to play producers against each other - it lowers the price paid to all of us. They are taking competition out of the market. This is basic stuff, I don't understand why people are having such a hard time seeing what they're doing.

Latest posts