• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL dispute

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt said:
Oldtimer said:
Neil Waugh said:
The Alberta Beef Producers and Canadian Cattle Commission have a long and contorted record of speaking out of both sides of their mouth.
On my side of the Medicine Line they conduct saturation advertising campaigns stressing "If it Ain't Alberta it Ain't Beef". Implying our foothills raised, barley-fed beef is tastier, tender and more chemical-free than that Nebraska, yellow-fat, corn-cr^p.
Which I totally agree with.
Then they turn around and try to convince you Amerks that COOL is the devil's work and there should be no border when it comes to beef. Even though they are practicing a kind of COOL of their own.
Go figure. Because I sure can't

Yep- and while some Canadians are convinced this is the way American ranchers want to do them in---the COOL law got no legs until the Vietnamese fish, Chinese melamine, Mexican lettuce/peppers/tomatos, etc. etc issues came to light-- and consumers nationwide demanded that they have transparent honest tracking of what country their food products they feed their family come from....

Currently the biggest share of US food products are required to be identified to original country of origin (same as numerous WTO countries require) besides being require to be labeled for nutritional values-- and only because of the Packers lobbyiest efforts wanting to keep their availability open to purchase cheap foreign imported beef and pass it off as US product with the USDA stamp if economic situations again arise-supported by their puppets (NCBA)- has beef/meat products turned into such a controversy- and not been able to get truthful labeling for the consumers...

I too think that Canadians would want to have their product identified as a Product of Canada- or Product of Canada/USA- rather than being tied into the fiasco of health, butchering/questionable meat products coming out of Mexico-- or any of the other 50 some countries we import beef products from.. :???:

Why is just asking for HONEST transparent labeling- so negative to some folks :???:

Why are US packers reluctant to put a "Product of USA" label on their home-grown beef and thereby avoid any and all charges of protectionism?

Packers don't want to have to "truthfully" label- because they don't want to miss out on another run where monetary exchange rates or something like BSE allows them to pay fifty cents on the dollar for the foreign product- and stick a USDA label on it- and falsely pass it off to the US consumers as a totally USA product....

I'd agree with you OT, but there's no point in us both being wrong.

The problem with many analyses of this 'problem' of labelling is that consumers, when asked in various consumer focus groups, want not just country of origin, they want RANCH or FARM of origin. Some ranchers fear that, so demanded it be ONLY country of origin.

Advertising beef as to source would be the simple way, but some ranchers want to be able to sell their generic beef for source labelled prices, so got that law passed. Adding words to labels DOES cost money, so packers and grocers will pass those costs back to suppliers.

Don't be too quick to put down 'Mexican cattle' as poor in quality. Remember, USA producers have been selling their breeding stock to Mexicans for decades and that quality just might rival that of some herds represented on this site.

Let's see, now, what is the amount of beef imported compared with that raised in the USA right now?

mrj

mrj said:
The problem with many analyses of this 'problem' of labelling is that consumers, when asked in various consumer focus groups, want not just country of origin, they want RANCH or FARM of origin. Some ranchers fear that, so demanded it be ONLY country of origin.

Advertising beef as to source would be the simple way, but some ranchers want to be able to sell their generic beef for source labelled prices, so got that law passed. Adding words to labels DOES cost money, so packers and grocers will pass those costs back to suppliers.

Don't be too quick to put down 'Mexican cattle' as poor in quality. Remember, USA producers have been selling their breeding stock to Mexicans for decades and that quality just might rival that of some herds represented on this site.

Let's see, now, what is the amount of beef imported compared with that raised in the USA right now?

mrj

MRJ, I have never seen the claim that consumer want ranch of origin anywhere else but from you. I'd like to see a link or two to confirm.

I agree with OT on why the big packers are against COOL; It hinders their ability to move beef from the cheapest supplier in the world to whereever they want to move it to. Since the AMI is against it, the NCBA lackeys are also against it even though their beef will never be the cheapest in the world. Why they insist in giving a knife to the people that will cut their throats for a buck I'll never understand.

I will inquire if there were records kept. But why are you so reluctant to put your name on the beef from your cattle? Apparently some areas, and some producers do that and are paid better for it than selling 'generically', Harris Ranch Beef, Ranchers' Renaissance, Laura's Lean, probably many others, for instance.

Did you know that the Federation of State Beef Councils and/or CBB have long held Consumer Focus groups where they invited ordinary consumers from all walks of life to attend a short meeting and lunch in various cities in order to ASK them what they want beef to be and how we (as cattle producers) could make it more attractive to them?

I have attended some of those meetings some time ago and participated as a cattle producer. I have heard reports of other such meetings, but did not ask for official reports, as my main focus was on other committees at the time.

mrj

" But why are you so reluctant to put your name on the beef from your cattle?"

Not reluctant, just not seeing anybody that's asking / willing to pay for it.

Looks to me like there is little need for COOl, since there is CHOICE in the market place; Brand name beef which may or may not be of highest quality but is mostly at higher prices, and conventionally processed and generically labelled or 'store brand' beef which may or may not be of lesser quality, but IS in larger quantity and more generally available; AND prices for live feeder and fed cattle show the usual variation between highest and lowest according to the needs of the buyers for the quality levels offered in the particular auction or private treaty sales.

Short version: those "asking/willing to pay for it" ARE doing so by purchasing the 'brand name' labelled beef at higher prices than generic or store brand beef.

mrj

mrj said:

mrj

Annex to the EFSA Scientific Report (2004) 4, 1-13 on the Assessment of the Geographical BSE Risk of Mexico

- 7 -

2.3 Overall assessment of the external challenge

The level of the external challenge that has to be met by the BSE/cattle system is estimated according to the guidance given by the SSC in its final opinion on the GBR of July 2000 (as updated in January 2002).

Live cattle imports:

According to the CD the country imported in total over the period 1980 to 2003, approximately 3.2 million live cattle from BSE - risk countries, of which conclusively none came from the UK. The numbers shown in table 1 are the raw import figures and are not reflecting the adjusted imports for the assessment of the external challenge. Broken down to 5 - years periods the resulting external challenge is as given in table 3. This assessment takes into account the evidence that certain imported cattle did not enter the domestic BSE/cattle system, i.e. were not rendered into feed. In the case of Mexico, it is assumed that "cattle still alive" (imports from Spain) did not enter the rendering system.

MBM imports:

According to the CD the country imported in total over the period 1980 - 2003 approximately 826,000 tons MBM from BSE - risk countries (according to "other data": ~ 919,000 tons), of which none came from the UK. The numbers shown in table 2 are the raw import figures and are not reflecting the adjusted imports for the assessment of the external challenge. Broken down to 5 - years periods the resulting external challenge is as given in table 3. This assessment takes into account the evidence that certain imported MBM did not enter the domestic BSE/cattle system or did not represent an external challenge for other reasons. However, in the case of Mexico, there was not sufficient evidence to remove any quantities of MBM from the external challenge.

SNIP...

Annex to the EFSA Scientific Report (2004) 4, 1-13 on the Assessment of the Geographical BSE Risk of Mexico

- 12 -

would harbour, while being pre - clinical, as much infectivity as a clinical BSE case. Hence cattle imports could have led to an internal challenge about 3 years after the import of breeding cattle (that are normally imported at 20 - 24 months of age) that could have been infected prior to import. In case of Mexico this implies that an internal challenge caused by live cattle imports (predominantly from USA or Canada) first occurred in the mid to late 1990's and continued to the present.

On the other hand imports of contaminated MBM would lead to an internal challenge in the year of import, if fed to cattle. The feeding system is of utmost importance in this context. If it could be excluded that imported, potentially contaminated feed stuffs reached cattle, such imports might not lead to an internal challenge at all. In case of Mexico this implies that an internal challenge caused by MBM imports (predominantly from USA or Canada) first occurred around 1993 and continued to the present.

In view of the above - described consideration the combination of the very / extremely high external challenges with a very unstable system makes the occurrence of an internal challenge likely in Mexico from approximately 1993 onwards.

4.2 Risk that BSE infectivity entered processing

It is likely that BSE infectivity entered processing at the time of imported 'at - risk' MBM (1993) and at the time of slaughter of imported live 'at - risk' cattle (mid to late 1990's). The high level of external challenge is maintained throughout the reference period, and the system has not been made stable, leading to increased internal challenge.

4.3 Risk that BSE infectivity was recycled and propagated

It is likely that BSE infectivity was recycled and propagated from approximately 1993. The risk has since grown consistently due to a maintained internal and external challenge and lack of a stable system.

5. CONCLUSION ON THE GEOGRAPHICAL BSE – RISK

5.1 The current GBR as function of the past stability and challenge

The current geographical BSE risk (GBR) level is III, i.e. it is likely but not confirmed that domestic cattle are (clinically or pre-clinically) infected with the BSE-agent.

5.2 The expected development of the GBR as a function of the past and present stability and challenge

• The GBR is likely to increase due to continued internal and external challenge, coupled with a very unstable system.

SNIP...

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/4r.pdf

The most recent assessments (and reassessments) were published in June 2005 (Table I; 18), and included the categorisation of Canada, the USA, and Mexico as GBR III. Although only Canada and the USA have reported cases, the historically open system of trade in North America suggests that it is likely that BSE is present also in Mexico.

http://www.oie.int/boutique/extrait/06heim937950.pdf

TSS

Sandhusker,

I can't believe you are so naive about the cattle / beef industry that you would even question the merits of source verification programs that trace cattle back to the ranch. Many branded beef programs are based on source verification. Just yesterday I was in Martin at the livestock auction where they had a poster on the wall explaining different tagging incentive programs for source verification.

If source verification didn't have value to consumers, why is there financial incentives for it? Can't explain that can you?

I have seen as much as $50 per head being awarded for source verified cattle with certain branded beef programs.

I guess since you are not aware of it, it must not exist huh?

Alas, for all is not lost. If you want to take less money for your bottle calf, nobody is going to stand in your way.

~SH~

Oldtimer said:
Neil Waugh said:
The Alberta Beef Producers and Canadian Cattle Commission have a long and contorted record of speaking out of both sides of their mouth.
On my side of the Medicine Line they conduct saturation advertising campaigns stressing "If it Ain't Alberta it Ain't Beef". Implying our foothills raised, barley-fed beef is tastier, tender and more chemical-free than that Nebraska, yellow-fat, corn-cr^p.
Which I totally agree with.
Then they turn around and try to convince you Amerks that COOL is the devil's work and there should be no border when it comes to beef. Even though they are practicing a kind of COOL of their own.
Go figure. Because I sure can't

Yep- and while some Canadians are convinced this is the way American ranchers want to do them in---the COOL law got no legs until the Vietnamese fish, Chinese melamine, Mexican lettuce/peppers/tomatos, etc. etc issues came to light-- and consumers nationwide demanded that they have transparent honest tracking of what country their food products they feed their family come from....

Currently the biggest share of US food products are required to be identified to original country of origin (same as numerous WTO countries require) besides being require to be labeled for nutritional values-- and only because of the Packers lobbyiest efforts wanting to keep their availability open to purchase cheap foreign imported beef and pass it off as US product with the USDA stamp if economic situations again arise-supported by their puppets (NCBA)- has beef/meat products turned into such a controversy- and not been able to get truthful labeling for the consumers...

I too think that Canadians would want to have their product identified as a Product of Canada- or Product of Canada/USA- rather than being tied into the fiasco of health, butchering/questionable meat products coming out of Mexico-- or any of the other 50 some countries we import beef products from.. :???:

Why is just asking for HONEST transparent labeling- so negative to some folks :???:

Beef products from Canada.—The Committee is concerned that USDA improperly allowed the importation of millions of pounds of ground and processed beef from Canada for many months, until the practice was stopped in April by a federal judge. The judge wrote, ''the Court is concerned by the manner in which, according to counsel for USDA, USDA has been authorizing imports of virtually all edible bovine meat products, apparently through issuing individual permits, at a time when it was assuring the public that such authorization would take place through the rulemaking process.'' The Committee shares this concern and requests a report from the Secretary by September 1, 2004, on specifically how a decision was made to allow these imports, apparently without the awareness of senior officials, and what actions she has taken to ensure this kind of problem will not happen in the future.''

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-108hrpt584/pdf/CRPT-108hrpt584.pdf

US SENATOR AND STAN THE MAN SLAM USDA ''DAMNING TESTIMONY''

Senator Michael Machado from California

''USDA does not know what's going on''.

''USDA is protecting the industry''.

''SHOULD the state of California step in''

Stanley Prusiner

''nobody has ever ask us to comment''

''they don't want us to comment''

''they never ask''

i tried to see Venemon, after Candian cow was discovered with BSE. went to see lyle. after talking with him...

absolute ignorance...

then thought I should see Venemon...

it was clear his entire policy was to get cattle bonless beef prods across the border...

nothing else mattered...

his aids confirmed this...

5 times i tried to see Venemon, never worked...

eventually met with carl rove the political...

he is the one that arranged meeting with Venemon...

just trying to give you a sense of the distance...

healh public safety...

was never contacted...

yes i believe that prions are bad to eat and you can die from them...

END

PLEASE NOTE THESE VIDEOS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE INTERNET $$$

Dr. Stan bashing Ann Veneman - 3 minutes

http://maddeer.org/video/embedded/08snip.ram

Recall Authority and Mad Cow Disease: Is the Current System Good for Californians?

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

JOINT HEARING

AGRICULTURE AND WATER RESOURCES HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES AND SELECT
COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT - MACHADO, ORTIZ, and SPEIER, Chairs

Choose a RealPlayer video --->

Selected excerpts:

snip...end

http://naiscoolyes.blogspot.com/

Sunday, May 27, 2012

GAIN REPORT BSE Case in United States Will Not Affect Trade, States Canadian Food Inspection Agency

http://madcowusda.blogspot.com/2012/05/gain-bse-case-in-united-states-will-not.html

kind regards, terry

Latest posts