• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

COOL ID may take effect July of 08

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RenFarms

Reaction score
Admittedly I was half asleep when the farm program came on the radio this AM, but I am quite sure I heard that identification of calves for COOL purposes may kick into effect starting in July of this year. I'm not sure if that means calves born after July 1 2008.

Anyway, is RFID going to be the only accepted ID for COOL purposes?

Will COOL require a premise ID similar to NAIS form as well?

Got this email from Headquarter's this week.
NAIS vs. COOL
There is a lot of confusion out there about NAIS (National Animal Identification System) and the COOL (Country of Origin Labeling Law).

As we receive now every day more and more phone calls with the same question about the difference between NAIS and COOL we made up the attached sheet. It is very time consuming for us to explain it to everybody over the phone.

To read more about the COOL recordkeeping requirements click on the link on our website www.ScoringAg.com
As AMS-USDA and all states will start on October 1, 2008 checking the retail stores, there are only a few days left to get started with the required recordkeeping for the COOL Law on farm level. As every head of livestock needs to have a form of a unique ID for COOL for easy recordkeeping to be passed on to the next owner ,easy ID records are the simplest. The easiest and cheapest way for producers to keep animal (cattle,sheep,swine)records is with RFID tags and RFID boluses in the ScoringAg database. Producers need to order enough RFID tags and boluses ahead thru December 2008 as there will be a shortage soon, as the tag companies weren't prepared for it. This has happened in Europe and Australia when the law forced them to ID animals to prove ownership .

A FDX ISO standard RFID Eartag with ScoringAg database record is only $1.98 for limited time.

A RFID bolus with ScoringAg database is only $2.83.

Please call one of our Professionals in your area for more information that you'll need.
Best Regards,
Brunhilde Merker
CEO
ScoringSystem, Inc.
Bradenton, FL, USA
+ 941-792-6405

Premises farm code is not used for COOL

IT Doesn't SandHusker but it will keep the feds out of your books trying to ID match a peice of beef on some store shelf to a animal you might have raised.

www.ams.usda.gov/cool/records.htm

Read the big blocks above each level on the above pdf of animal to beef handlers. A simple RFID in the right database is the cheap and easy way out! It say's everyone has to maintain the animal's ID till the shelf in your local grocery that sells more than $230,000.00 gross per year. Then the store has to store those meat records. A lot LESS IMPORTS after COOL starts.

That will work for a starter ID ,now you need farm business records like seperate animal ID as per the www.ams.usda.gov/cool/records.htm

PORKER said:
That will work for a starter ID ,now you need farm business records like seperate animal ID as per the www.ams.usda.gov/cool/records.htm

If they don't have an "M" or a "CAN" brand, how can they not be guaranteed US? How difficult does this have to be?

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: Getten' Better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORKER wrote:

Sandhusker;If they don't have an "M" or a "CAN" brand, how can they not be guaranteed US? How difficult does this have to be?

64 questions answer; I don't think an state auditor or AMS auditor will give a wit about a M as I see the Misha herd here in Florida has a M branded on all of his 2000 head of cattle too. Remember that the audit starts at the Retail shelf backwards.

IT Doesn't SandHusker but it will keep the feds out of your books trying to ID match a peice of beef on some store shelf to a animal you might have raised.

Sooo, will producers need a 'producer ID' RFID tag and then another ID that individually ID's each animal?

PORKER said:
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: Getten' Better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORKER wrote:

Sandhusker;If they don't have an "M" or a "CAN" brand, how can they not be guaranteed US? How difficult does this have to be?

64 questions answer; I don't think an state auditor or AMS auditor will give a wit about a M as I see the Misha herd here in Florida has a M branded on all of his 2000 head of cattle too. Remember that the audit starts at the Retail shelf backwards.

I think the Mexican "M" is on the jaw.

I don't see how this is going to be so hard. If a packer simply documents all Canadian and Mexican origin cattle, which they can today, everything else has to be US. They can make it easy by making a certain shift/shifts for Canadian and/or Mexican and then the paper work follows that shift's work to the retailer. The retailer makes it easy on himself by ordering what their customers want, regardless of the country of origin. Really, all that would be needed is a file on when they bought anything other than US origin. If they don't want to mess with that, they always order product from one country and then everything they sell will be consistent.

If they apply just a little common sense, the US producer that doesn't have anything other than US cattle should't have to do a dang thing. This is simple stuff.

Sooo, will producers need a 'producer ID' RFID tag and then another ID that individually ID's each animal?

'producer ID' RFID tag , You are thinking about NAIS which has nothing to do about COOL

Yes , the easy and cheap way is RFID each animal with those animals in the Fork to field database of ScoringAG. The auditors don't need to look as the audit is already in a code on the package.

If they apply just a little common sense, the US producer that doesn't have anything other than US cattle should't have to do a dang thing. This is simple stuff.

They ,the auditors at AMS , got common sense? Hey, they will follow the letter of the COOL law which Bush signed in 02 ,word by lawyer word, Sandhusker.

PORKER said:

They ,the auditors at AMS , got common sense? Hey, they will follow the letter of the COOL law which Bush signed in 02 ,word by lawyer word, Sandhusker.

90% of the problem with that law is the Bush USDA's interpretation of the law- without looking at what it actually says or the intent of Congress...They didn't want it- so they want to make it as tough as possible to participate- the US producer be damned....

The exact same thing the Dept of Transportation is doing to get around Congress's ban on Mexican trucks...Laws mean nothing to GW.... :( :mad:

Don't forget the "input" of the AMI and their lapdog....

Fine, then. I'll put my system in writing - have it notarized, medallion guarantee, whatever. All my 100% US origin cattle will be branded with the Quarter Circle X on the right hip. All non US origin will be branded "F**K USDA" in addition to the regular brand.

Secretary Schafer stands by voluntary NAIS
Tuesday, April 1, 2008, 2:22 PM

by Dave Russell

In an interview with U.S. Agriculture Secretary Ed Schafer following his remarks to the National Institute for Animal Agriculture (NIAA) annual meeting on Tuesday, April 1, the Secretary told Brownfield that USDA remains committed to a voluntary National Animal ID System.

"I like to see public policy generated that encourages people to engage, that helps them recognize the benefits of being involved in an interactive relationship with government," said Secretary Schafer. "I don't like government telling people what to do."

Secretary Schafer also said that progress was being made through the voluntary system.

"And of course we have to do it voluntarily or our friends on Capital Hill are going to step in and make it mandatory," Schafer said.

Secretary Schafer also told Brownfield that in order to have an effective Country-of-Origin Labeling (COOL) program, animal ID is necessary.

"Having the desire to properly label means we ought to be able to track animals, and that's a National Animal ID System," said the Ag chief.

A lot of congressmen have the ears ringing about NAIS. It will stay low.Yet they have heard from everyone about COOL. COOL is worth more.

Sounds to me like the worms are now escaping from the can and somebody's lost the lid. 8)

Remember what you wished for, it's now starting to sink it's teeth in your a$$es :nod:

Latest posts