• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cool Revisited

Help Support Ranchers.net:

wdcook

Reaction score
The notion that the meat, from an animal a few feet across the international border, might taste different is preposterous. Certainly, there are breeding strains in regional areas of North America that deliver enhanced genetics, but those genes know no geographic boundary. Product differentiation has for long been a marketing tool. Some products try differentiation when there is little substantive difference in the product.

Certified Angus has successfully branded a product. The quality specifications are tight and consumers pay for a premium product and they receive one. Purchasing a choice cut from the U.S. vs. a choice cut from Canada or Mexico is a waste of time for the consumer to attempt differentiation.

Consumers will purchase the same cut with the same specs for less price if offered the opportunity. This most certainly defeats the purpose, if there is one. Segregating beef into boxes based on country of origin is a waste of time, money and provides no benefit to the consumer.

The natural and expected consequences of this wrongheaded policy was obvious to all on Friday when Mexico announced a meat ban on U.S. products. The statement was softened later but the implications are clear. This will become a major trade issue and both Canada and Mexico has filed a protest with the World Trade Organization. It is time to revise the standards and make it part of a national ID program allowing people to market beef any method the marketplace recognizes and valuable.
My question;

When will all that slop at the COOL trough wake up?

It's not about taste, it's about safety. Consumers don't trust other countries safety standards and they don't trust this country to stop any crap at the border.

The people with the checkbooks are speaking, it is generally wise to listen to them.

Hi Sandhusker. If you have the time I would appreciate knowing if you believe that Australia's meat safety standards are equal to the U.S. standards given the general lack of confidence in USDA that I detect in this forum all the time.

Also, have you ever heard of Rod Polkinghorne and the Meat Standards of Australia (MSA) program? If so, did you know that MSA has been researched at Texas Tech University in Lubbock? I think a lot more people will be learning about MSA in the future, especially as it relates to the "grassfed" movement.

(Did I get that right, Robert Mac?)

pointrider said:
Hi Sandhusker. If you have the time I would appreciate knowing if you believe that Australia's meat safety standards are equal to the U.S. standards given the general lack of confidence in USDA that I detect in this forum all the time.

Also, have you ever heard of Rod Polkinghorne and the Meat Standards of Australia (MSA) program? If so, did you know that MSA has been researched at Texas Tech University in Lubbock? I think a lot more people will be learning about MSA in the future, especially as it relates to the "grassfed" movement.

Sorry, I don't anything about Australia's standards.

Sandhusker said:
pointrider said:

Sorry, I don't anything about Australia's standards.

Better sticky this post. For once Sandhusker admits he doesn't know something

You did good, Pointrider :wink: :lol: :clap:

COOL is not only about beef...it's about all food.
China is a country that is hostile to our culture and on the opposite side of the USA on most international issues. We find poison in food and toys from China...think about that. I want to have the choice to opt out of Chinese food...and we can't force only one country to label their food, that would be fair.

"The natural and expected consequences of this wrongheaded policy was obvious to all on Friday when Mexico announced a meat ban on U.S. products."

Mexico knows that meat from their country won't have as good an image as US beef and when consumers have the choice, most will choose US instead of Mexican. They're seeing sales heading south.

How in the hell could a cattleman not understand,that with M COOL,he can now identify his product,and demand his checkoff dollars promote it.
Seems simply enough to understand,something else that is simple to understand that packers know well is the fact............Mrs housewife is standing at the meat counter,she has her choice,product of USA,or product of mexico,I let you decide what Mrs Housewife will do.
Thats the problem for packers,no more cheap sources of beef passed off as product of the USA....................good luck

PS...... Some of those folks perched along the Rio Grande,with a set of pens,better get used to M COOL,was a long hard fight,but M COOL,is here to stay.

Boys, you do know that Mexico is just about the largest IMPORTER of US beef, don't you?

mrj

mrj said:
Boys, you do know that Mexico is just about the largest IMPORTER of US beef, don't you?

mrj

I guess I need some one smart to explain to this uneducated hick why,when we cannot meet our own demand, we need exports.
good luck

per Arizona Republic, WED, 31 DEC 2008

"Mexico lifts ban on meat imports from 25 U.S. processing plants"

"Mexico has lifted the suspension on meat imports from 25 of the 30 processing plants it banned imports from last week, according to a list posted Tuesday on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Web site.

Mexico is a major buyer of U.S. meat, accounting for 40 percent of U.S. beef exports and 18 percent of pork, according to Stephens Inc. analyst Farha Aslam."

It seems to me that 40 percent is a major league number for an industry that wants to export beef. Perhaps we need to try to realize what that means as we debate M-COOL. I think that is what Mexico is asking us to do.

Happy New Year!

ps - On this date in 1879 Thomas Edison performed his first public demonstration of his electric incandescent light in Menlo Park, NJ. I, for one, am grateful to Thomas for adding impetus to the "electric age" which is making it possible for all of us to communicate with each other all over the world via the Internet.

mrj said:

mrj

Heaven forbid that we put consumer safety over global trade...... :roll:

Sandhusker said:
mrj said:

mrj

Heaven forbid that we put consumer safety over global trade...... :roll:

Or Heaven forbid we support US producers who pay US taxes- and help build US infrastructure and US economic viability instead of every Podunk country of the world....

HAY MAKER said:
I guess I need some one smart to explain to this uneducated hick why,when we cannot meet our own demand, we need exports.

Because you uneducated hick, you EXPORT the low grade cuts that US consumers don't want, therefore gaining additional dollars. A cut that you can only get 50 cents for in the US may sell for 75 cents or a buck in Mexico.

Did you know that up to 40% of the CASH return on an animal is actually made up of selling by-products like hides, hooves, ears and horns? Those hooves and horns have virtually no value within North America but to China they're like gold. Mexican companies buy hides by the tens of thousands for tanning. A prime hide, with no brand markings or other scars will bring 20% of the value of the animal (so much for your great ID idea OT).

And so on and so on.

Its about maximizing the dollar return on a beef. If you're happy selling your beef for less, have at it. The rest of us actually comprehend how the beef business works and want the opportunity to make every last red cent we can. And we realize that trying to tie food safety into country of origin is simply a pathetic attempt at protectionism.

If MCOOL goes, you boys have fun with your devalued animals because I don't think Mexico and Canada will sit idly by this time.

Rod

Rod, "If MCOOL goes, you boys have fun with your devalued animals because I don't think Mexico and Canada will sit idly by this time"

Instead of sitting idly by or whining and moaning, why don't you use COOL to market your product? This will be the first time that you will actually be competing. Unless, of course, you don't think your product will sell....

DiamondSCattleCo said:
HAY MAKER said:

Because you uneducated hick, you EXPORT the low grade cuts that US consumers don't want, therefore gaining additional dollars. A cut that you can only get 50 cents for in the US may sell for 75 cents or a buck in Mexico.

Did you know that up to 40% of the CASH return on an animal is actually made up of selling by-products like hides, hooves, ears and horns? Those hooves and horns have virtually no value within North America but to China they're like gold. Mexican companies buy hides by the tens of thousands for tanning. A prime hide, with no brand markings or other scars will bring 20% of the value of the animal (so much for your great ID idea OT).

And so on and so on.

Its about maximizing the dollar return on a beef. If you're happy selling your beef for less, have at it. The rest of us actually comprehend how the beef business works and want the opportunity to make every last red cent we can. And we realize that trying to tie food safety into country of origin is simply a pathetic attempt at protectionism.

If MCOOL goes, you boys have fun with your devalued animals because I don't think Mexico and Canada will sit idly by this time.

Rod

I have heard that version many times,sounds like the same ole packer version,tell you what, you canuckleheads take over the mexico trade,then we will all be happy,i dont think importing or exporting have put a cent in cattlemens pocket,we have all the demand we need right here in the good ole USA,the problem with you rod,been a packer puppet too long.
good luck

PS What do you mean ? "If" M cool goes ? let me be the first to guarantee you,M COOL is here to stay.

Sandhusker said:
Instead of sitting idly by or whining and moaning, why don't you use COOL to market your product? This will be the first time that you will actually be competing. Unless, of course, you don't think your product will sell....

Ah, how quickly you forget Sandhusker. Or rather how quickly you try to twist things. I have two issues with COOL:

1) It violates NAFTA. I'm sick and tired of the US violating NAFTA.
2) Your packing plants have a HORRIBLE record and I don't want my Canadian product marked as a product of Canada when its processed in YOUR facilities!

So as you see Sandhusker, its purely pride in my product and my country that has me opposing MCOOL. My product is the best in the world, bar none, and I don't want its reputation ruined ruined by some lazy SOB in an uninspected packin plant...

Rod

HAY MAKER said:
the problem with you rod,been a packer puppet too long.

Are you frickin' kidding me? There hasn't been anyone on here more violently opposed to packers and concentration. Perhaps you've been drinking too much over the holidays?

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo said:
HAY MAKER said:
the problem with you rod,been a packer puppet too long.

Are you frickin' kidding me? There hasn't been anyone on here more violently opposed to packers and concentration. Perhaps you've been drinking too much over the holidays?

Rod

Yes,sometimes you make good sense,then you flip,...........you know damn well M COOL is the best thing that has happened to the cattleman in a long time,capitalize on it.
And get off this packer theory about horns and hides,you could'nt buy a low cut dress for a humming bird with the money you got from horns ,and we have hiders and tanneries on this side of the river,the cheap low quality cuts of beef can be fed to our own meskins,Lord knows we have enough of em,that only leaves the packer bought usda's 40% export story,who believes it ?
good luck

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Sandhusker said:

Ah, how quickly you forget Sandhusker. Or rather how quickly you try to twist things. I have two issues with COOL:

1) It violates NAFTA. I'm sick and tired of the US violating NAFTA.
2) Your packing plants have a HORRIBLE record and I don't want my Canadian product marked as a product of Canada when its processed in YOUR facilities!

So as you see Sandhusker, its purely pride in my product and my country that has me opposing MCOOL. My product is the best in the world, bar none, and I don't want its reputation ruined ruined by some lazy SOB in an uninspected packin plant...

Rod

Process it in your facilities, then. I don't understand your rationale. You claim pride in your product, but you're fighting to keep in place a system that doesn't allow potential customers to even find it.

Latest posts