• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cop Shoots Man

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000003615939/video-shows-fatal-police-shooting.html?action=click&gtype=vhs&version=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area

The policy in most departments must be to just let the guy go... and often those guys go on to commit more crimes.

The shooting unfolded after Officer Slager stopped the driver of a Mercedes-Benz with a broken taillight, according to police reports. Mr. Scott ran away, and Officer Slager chased him into a grassy lot that abuts a muffler shop. He fired his Taser, an electronic stun gun, but it did not stop Mr. Scott, according to police reports.

Moments after the struggle, Officer Slager reported on his radio: "Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser," according to police reports.

The video begins in the vacant lot, apparently moments after Officer Slager fired his Taser. Wires, which carry the electrical current from the stun gun, appear to be extending from Mr. Scott's body as the two men tussle and Mr. Scott turns to run.

The Supreme Court has held that an officer may use deadly force against a fleeing suspect only when there is probable cause that the suspect "poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

ran away from a traffic stop... left mercedes (which if it was his would trace back to him) (in other words no reason to run... )

was hit by a taser,... then turned on officer, took officers taser,.. and ran again.. (cops can not shoot to wound)

verdict still out. I expect it to end with another dead thug,.. and a decent person with his life ruined for standing up for the laws of our nation.. oh and a huge lawsuit

I guess the police should get the border patrol manual.. and just walk away from any sort of confrontation..

at a point many good folk will turn away from helping others.. not because they don't want to help,.. but because they know the consequances of doing that job,.. and then we will be left with people who are not the best suited for the job..

The police chief is sickened by the video, Slager's lawyer quits him after seeing it, but you defend him automatically. What a surprise.

As much as I 100% support and defend the police of this nation, I find the video sickening and what this officer did is why so many good cops are labeled as bad cops. If the suspect was fleeing, the officer should've called for back up, nothing I saw on the video could defend the officer being worried for his safety.

I'm just waiting for Obama to come up with another divisive comment about this ongoing race war.

Silver said:
The police chief is sickened by the video, Slager's lawyer quits him after seeing it, but you defend him automatically. What a surprise.

I am not sure how you 'think" I defended the person... not all of the facts are out..

as for the police chief covering his ass and the town scampering away from any responsibility, well that is what happens when thugs burn a town to the ground.. other towns make decisions to placate the thugs..

Maybe a person running away from a traffic stop and fighting with an officer for his taser isn't grounds enough for the person to be called a thug..

having spent most of my life doing my best to abide by the law it is hard to "support" a person who doesn't give a rats' ass for our laws..
and runs away after a routine traffic stop that would have probably ended with a warning.. and then fights an officer for his taser..

what could the officer think.. oh the guy must just be jogging? playing around.. or who knows wacked out on drugs..

but seeing this officer "automatically convicted" in the court of public opinion and all over the news will certainly make another officer think before he steps out on the line again... and that WILL get innocent folk killed.

at a point many good folk will turn away from helping others.. not because they don't want to help,.. but because they know the consequances of doing that job,..

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — The bystander whose video captured a white police officer fatally shooting Walter Scott in the back said Wednesday the two had struggled beforehand and that the victim was "just trying to get away" from the officer's Taser.

"Before I started recording, they were down on the [ground]. I remember the police [officer] had control of the situation," Feidin Santana toldNBC Nightly News anchor Lester Holt in North Charleston. "He had control of Scott. And Scott was trying just to get away from the Taser."

(The State Law Enforcement Division, which is leading the investigation, said the incident began with a traffic stop involving a faulty brake light. Scott attempted to flee, and Slager told investigators that he and Scott struggled over his police-issued stun gun. )

unfortunately, the "bias" results in hesitation and then further bad decisions. Maybe more emphasis should be put on the actions of "perps" instead of the colour of their skin...

Results from experimental trials testing participant responses to White, Hispanic and Black suspects in high-fidelity deadly force judgment and decision-making simulations

Results

In all three experiments using a more externally valid research method than previous studies, we found that participants took longer to shoot Black suspects than White or Hispanic suspects. In addition, where errors were made, participants across experiments were more likely to shoot unarmed White suspects than unarmed Black or Hispanic suspects, and were more likely to fail to shoot armed Black suspects than armed White or Hispanic suspects. In sum, this research found that participants displayed significant bias favoring Black suspects in their decisions to shoot.

Conclusions

The results of these three experiments challenge the results of less robust experimental designs and shed additional light on the broad issue of the role that status characteristics, such as race and ethnicity, play in the criminal justice system. Future research should explore the generalizability of these findings, determine whether bias favoring Black suspects is a consequence of administrative measures (e.g., education, training, policies, and laws), and identify the cognitive processes that underlie this phenomenon.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11292-012-9163-y

Walter Scott Shooting: Enhanced Video Shows Officer Slager With Taser Darts…

What is potentially a game changer occurs when you review Officer Slager stating he had lost control/custody of the x26 Taser he deployed to restrain a non compliant Scott – and recognize the Taser actually appears to have been used against him.

At least one dart appears lodged in the upper torso, chest, shirt of Officer Slager.

If you review the raw footage (source New York Times) of the witness shooting video you can clearly see the wire from the Taser connected to Officer Slager.

Additionally, if you follow the wire you also recognize the cartridge from the Taser itself is being dragged behind the fleeing Walter Scott.

This is critical because the darts are on one end of the wire, and the cartridge is on the other end – usually cartridge remaining in the trigger assembly. However, the cartridge is obviously dislodged in the struggle.

If the cartridge is dragging behind Scott -somehow tangled with his foot/shoe or leg – and the line is visibly taut (which it is) then the dart end is indeed attached to Officer Slager.

*NOTE* The civilian version of the x26 (x26C) only has 10-15′ of wire, but the LEO version is 25′ to 35′. From the imaging it appears the length is at least 25′.

This means when the Taser fired during the struggle, the darts actually penetrated Slager, not Scott.

Factually this aligns with the recorded statement of Slager and the reports of his initial debriefing.

It could be that one dart is in the leg of Slager and the other is in the upper torso region as evidenced below.

This would also explain the picture of Slager being debriefed after the confrontation with his left pant leg folded up as he explains events to the documenting officer.

An argument can be made, and would be supported by factual evidence, that Officer Slager didn't know Scott was not in possession of the trigger assembly. Slager now focused on using his firearm – this is all happening in microseconds.

How dramatically this information changes the position or perspectives of the people who are holding opinion is most likely based on the ideology/bias of the observer.
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/04/12/game-changer-or-paradigm-shift-walter-scott-shooting-enhanced-video-shows-officer-slager-with-taser-darts/

Latest posts