• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

corgi owners

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Chuckie

Reaction score
we had a corgi when i was growing up, it's a good thing my dad trained him--he was an independent minded sog. the first dog that ever bit me...
anyway-are they really any good as stock dogs? or is the "work" bred out of them? just curious; i'll never own one, give me a german-bred dog any day...

Hi, Chuckie,

Our Corgi has it in him. He's a tough little doggie, too. He'll work til he can barely walk and the next day doesn't do a whole lot. He likes to get in front of them and bite their noses, almost like counting coups. He's been rolled around a couple times by angry bovines, he yips just a tiny bit, then watch out bovines!!! It just gets him more mad so he really gets after them. He just doesn't know how to quit. What kind of German bred dogs are you talking about? Just curious. :)

My Grandma had a Gorgi, the Queens dogs of preferance. What a good friend for her but if you have never had a good cattle dog I guess barking is good. Pixie was her name and the most useless cattle dog I have ever seen.

Give me a collie,heeler, not a corgie. Think they should be like a Jack Daniels and chase rats.

CA

which german-breds DON'T i like is the question!! i like both well-bred shepherds and rotts for their ability to think and address the situation; i love a dobe for it's IMMEDIATE reaction to commands regardless of the situation. you have to realize, i've always had a dog for protection, not to work cattle, sheep, whatever. the BEST dog i've ever owned (for her function) was a shepherd/rottwieller (sp?) cross. took 3 years to really get her good, but she was GOOD and i never (nor did my family) have to worry about me until she died-at 15 yrs, BTW.

Can't relate to your choice of dogs, chuckie, I've been BITTEN by a German Shepard (age 4), Dobie (age 12) - took stitches, BTW, and we have some neighbors several miles away who have rottweilers and YOU DON'T DARE GET OUT OF YOUR RIG. Knowing the neighbors who own Rottweilers and their involvement in drugs...guess I would own me a rottweiler...

i'll try this again hanta yo (the wind's blowing so hard that it's screwing up the internet), but i was trying to say that it's funny how people have their notions about breeds of animals--ANY kind! i was talking with the guys at work about dogs a few years back and finally, one of the asked me "if you hate all these breeds so much, why do you have 2 dogs?" my reply was that there ARE a few good ones out there, and it's not so much the dog's fault as the owners. like FH says, it takes time, kindness, firmness (but not abuse). and too many people have NO control over their dog, really treat them like babies, and the dog takes advantage. they ARE smart! and the most dangerous animal is a canine, of the guard/protective breeds that have owners that just teach them "sic 'em". and there is nothing worse than a badly bred Rott, and there are a LOT of them around.
a breed's popularity is ALWAYS followed by puppy-mills, bad breeding, "incidents", a fall from popularity and a return to well-bred dogs bred by reputable breeders.
now you have me on my soapbox :!:
i have to go to bed (need my beauty sleep for what it's worth :wink: ), but i was raised with dogs, worked as a vet tech at a small animal clinic, and i could tell some horror stories about "family" type breeds of dogs. my german dogs have NEVER been overly aggressive, merely good protectors, and i have always been notified if someone is around. that's it. notified. as a matter of fact, i have a yellow lab cross right now that, if i didn't know her and pulled onto the property, i wouldn't get out of the rig--she's one of those sneak around behind you and maybe nail you dogs. my doberman would just get in the truck and go with you, never a hackle raised, maybe a bark til he got down to the driveway. but he HATES coyotes and will absolutely go bananas when they get close.
i guess the bottom line is, that with a well-bred dog, raised in a respectful manner (i.e., ME being alpha) any dog can be a good one. it's those, like your drug-dealing neighbor's rotts, which are badly bred, with dumb-a$$ owners, that give a breed a bad name. i better stop, but thanks for listening. i just hope you can appreciate my point of view! lol later

well, my post was edited to "dumb-not nice" owners, but that's not what i typed...my first ever "edit", but like i said--you got me on my soapbox, so one edit in the whole thing ain't bad :roll:

We breed Mini Aussies that are really good working dogs. We recently purchased a 3/4 Corgi 1/4 Blue Heeler. I can tell you this ....he is going to need a therapist before he is 6 months old!! I bet the cow has yet to be born that he can't pen or run through the fence. I like the mini aussies because they "mind" you!!! "Tuff" may be another thing!!

We had neighbors with Rottweillers and thought cause they lived in the country it was a great place to let their dogs run loose.

I know for a fact, those dogs died of lead poisoning.

sp said:
We had neighbors with Rottweillers and thought cause they lived in the country it was a great place to let their dogs run loose.

We had some new neighbors move in one day the lady stops and ask me if her dogs have been here.I said did they come home she said yes,well then they wernt at my house.

Had another neighbor out in my woods and he came across a pile of dead dogs.He came over to tell me to bury them or his dog might get sick if he goes near them.I told him yea he'll get lead poisoning like those did.Told him he could use my shovel to bury them I already did the work of putting them in a pile.

City people move out here the first thing they do is get 3 or 4 dogs ones not enough oh well keeps my aim good.

Denny said:
sp said:

We had some new neighbors move in one day the lady stops and ask me if her dogs have been here.I said did they come home she said yes,well then they wernt at my house.

Had another neighbor out in my woods and he came across a pile of dead dogs.He came over to tell me to bury them or his dog might get sick if he goes near them.I told him yea he'll get lead poisoning like those did.Told him he could use my shovel to bury them I already did the work of putting them in a pile.

City people move out here the first thing they do is get 3 or 4 dogs ones not enough oh well keeps my aim good.

I feel the same way Denny. I have gotten to where I gut shoot them with a .22 rimfire so that they will make it home before they die and I don't have to pile them up. One dog is not bad but when you get a pack they are trouble.The law here is you have a right to defend your property.

Mike said:
Denny said:
sp said:

I feel the same way Denny. I have gotten to where I gut shoot them with a .22 rimfire so that they will make it home before they die and I don't have to pile them up. One dog is not bad but when you get a pack they are trouble.The law here is you have a right to defend your property.

It goes in streaks here we had some renters move in they had 6 of those Great Pyrenese sp? anyhow my dad is in a wheel chair he killed 5 of them in his yard and on the driveway the last one died on the owners front step.My dad got them all out of his wheelchair sitting in the porch with the door open but he shoots a 30.06 good dog rifle.

1 dog good dog

2 dogs 1/2 dog

3 dogs dead dogs

That my Dad saying.. lots of truth in those words.

Worked for a vet for sometime in the early 80's. A couple owned 2 Komondors sp? (they look like sheep - have the same wooly hair) and were supposed to look after their sheep. They had a passion for getting into the neighbors' cows and chasing them through the fence, nevertheless, one of those Komondors came in with a butt full of buchshot......
We've all had good and bad experiences with dogs, and we have our own preferences, we also have our nightmare stories. Thanks for sharing!!! :lol: :D :)

Latest posts