• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Corgi People read this!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Ok so some of you know that I have a Corgi. A female named Concho. Cute'er than any other Corgi ya'll have ever seen but thats besides the point....anyway my questions to you fellow Corgi people are like this:

I want to breed her, but not sure when the time to breed her for the first time is. She was born January 20th of 2005, so she is almost a year old. She is in heat right now for the first time ever. I am NOT going to breed her this go round, but what about the next one? What is the minimum age to breed a pooch? And not stunt her or hurt the female? I'm talking about Corgi's specifically so any of you with them if you can help let me know.

She is a Pembroke Welch Corgi, but is on the small side. She is not going to grow much bigger i don't think, but will only mature more and fill out prolly. She is still a pup now basically so just what age is good to breed the first time......a year? Year and a half? help? :help:

TX-i'd skip the next 2 heats, talk to your vet &/or the people that own the dog you're planning on breeding her to (i assume she's a good enough bitch to warrant breeding, and will promote the breed's working ability--not just pups to make $$).

there are enough badly bred dogs in this world with no homes--please don't contribute...there are enough WELL-BRED dogs in this world with the same problem.

but if you are gonna breed her, give her a little more time to show what she's got, and mature a little. PLEASE????...........

I agree with Chuckie, she needs to grow up. I've been told by several breeders that Corgis have a LOT of babies at one time, so much so they sometimes have to go through C-Section to get them out. This is because they are long, and the uterus tends to fold in half just to make room for development of the fetuses. I would give her another year, just for size. We won't breed our Corgi because he's a cryptorchid and has a crooked left foot.

You said you want to breed her TX, but let somebodies dog do it instead. :shock: :eek:
:lol:

TX, are you special? Don't let my wife know about any future pups, she'll make tracks down there to pick one up.

Are you headed home for the holidays? If ya are, drive safe.

well first time for me to post, been readin on here for a long time. I have raised Corgi's for many years...never had a C-Section situation. There are some I wouldnt give you 2 cents for...my pups were all bred for family dogs and had a few that made it to the show ring. When I lost my good male I quit raising them...but all mine were spoilt, and the QUEEN still lives at at the ripe old age of 14 and had a litter of pups up till she was 9 yrs old every year, she had a avg litter of 7 to 8 each time. And during this time she traveled the Sales with me and all over the U.S. hauling horses. I gave 2 away this past summer, one was just a pet and the other was one that I really not sure what happened to her, she was given to me...they both have a great home in abilene....Anyway after all this babblin, I started breeding my female after her first cycle and did the same on my border collies too. My old girl here isnt very big...she weighs about 20 lbs on the hefty side. And right now got a litter of Heelers and gonna, kill the mom if she dont quit tearin the house apart lol...they are 2 weeks old and look like little white hamster butts...and one lab pup that some young gal thought we needed like sooo nottt....it has a new home but for now it seems will be renting a crate here in the DOG MOTEL...grrrrr!!!

Good luck in your decision on breeding....I was very picky on my dogs, I wanted smart, athletic ones..and stocky built.

TX,
again, in direct opposition to ETG post, check with your vet, let her grow up, breed her to a dog that will IMPROVE the breed, not just get pups. of course, you can maybe make $$ breeding her every chance you get (but i doubt it, actually, my parents bred Beagles, they did it ethically, and always said "you don't make money breeding dogs"--but that's ethical breeding).

if you love your dog, and i think you do, if she's not an outstanding example of the breed, don't wear her out and put her in an early grave producing pups that will go to who know's what kind of homes. spay her, keep her around for your pleasure for years.

i've been getting into working dogs lately: personal protection, search & rescue, poplice service dogs, etc., and the bottom line with these guys is: if the dog can't do what it's bred for, and PROVE IT in trials, it shouldn't be bred.

for example, look at the american-bred german shepherd dog--they are so anatomically INcorrect that they couldn't serve the function they were bred for if they're lives depended upon it :x

"form follows function"--breeding dogs isn't any different than breeding cattle: if you're not improving the breed, don't do it. just MHO. you may think your bitch has potential, and maybe she does, but how do you know this early??

let her grow up, PLEASE??? and if she won't improve the breed as a whole, don't breed her.

end of rant... :x

Well I think checking with your vet goes really unsaid in any situation. If it is your pet, then I am sure the vet has already given their oppinion on her at the year old checkup. And, now on improving the breed...that is something that is one persons oppinion. Sort of like cattle and horses, we all have different oppinions that would improve the breed. In corgis, the only thing I can say is that they are very intelligent and I try to breed for temperment when I did, and make sure they were healthy! My dogs are my family, and yes I AM A FARM GAL!! There is no argument or saying who is wrong or right here. I just made a statement on that there was a grouping on corgis having C-Sections and I have raised them for now like 12 years and never had one that I had to do that way, not to say that it wouldnt happen, but that goes in all breeds. I DO NOT PUPPY MILL, I have had up to 2 females that I bred and that is it....and they lived in the house with me. My old girl which is 14 now, Traveled with me everywhere...they are the best traveling companion and have such a great personality that keeps you entertained all the time. I think TX here just needs to do what he wants and I hope that anything I have said helps him. I had a great time raising the pups, and have had the pleasure of making so many people happy, I kept a scrap book of the pups after they left...have even had a few make it into the calendars..the photographer that did that, ended up coming back 3 years later and buying 2 more pups from me...she loved their dispositions. Raising dogs, is more than just doing it for the money, just as chuckie said,....its the same as in raising cattle...the more you put into and see what you have done it gives you satisfaction. I have raised working dogs where I have had lists waiting on my pups...because they were cattle dogs not just pets and were good. Okay now enough of my rambling once again...just dont like saying any one person is wrong. It is whatever you feel is right for you and your pet.

Let us know how she is TX ..and enjoy whatever you do!!

Chuckie said:
TX,
again, in direct opposition to ETG post, check with your vet, let her grow up, breed her to a dog that will IMPROVE the breed, not just get pups. of course, you can maybe make $$ breeding her every chance you get (but i doubt it, actually, my parents bred Beagles, they did it ethically, and always said "you don't make money breeding dogs"--but that's ethical breeding).

if you love your dog, and i think you do, if she's not an outstanding example of the breed, don't wear her out and put her in an early grave producing pups that will go to who know's what kind of homes. spay her, keep her around for your pleasure for years.

i've been getting into working dogs lately: personal protection, search & rescue, poplice service dogs, etc., and the bottom line with these guys is: if the dog can't do what it's bred for, and PROVE IT in trials, it shouldn't be bred.

for example, look at the american-bred german shepherd dog--they are so anatomically INcorrect that they couldn't serve the function they were bred for if they're lives depended upon it :x

"form follows function"--breeding dogs isn't any different than breeding cattle: if you're not improving the breed, don't do it. just MHO. you may think your bitch has potential, and maybe she does, but how do you know this early??

let her grow up, PLEASE??? and if she won't improve the breed as a whole, don't breed her.

Chuckie is prolly a secret puppy mill producer for the great plains region and is just trying to discourage me from breeding her for her own protection.....not poluting the corgi $$ industry!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

just joking.... :roll: :wink:

Chuckie said:
TX,

Chuckie is prolly a secret puppy mill producer for the great plains region and is just trying to discourage me from breeding her for her own protection.....not poluting the corgi $$ industry!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

just joking.... :roll: :wink:

hey TX--you stay out of my territory (which extends from ND down to MX, and from WY to IN) and we'll get along just fine :)

i have a secret nationally-known breeding program--i go to a LOT of swap-meets every year, and i can get (don't tell anyone, ok?) $500/ pup for dogs that "could" be registered, if only i had the time to register their parents, but i'm so busy regulating dog sex that i don't have time to register the parents, much less title them in any known official forum.

so you can have AL and Mike's area, and even the west. but stay out of MINE :wink:

love ya....

THMW: no, i don't breed corgi's, i just have "fairly strong :evil: " opinions on breeding animals in general, and dogs especially: there are WAY too many puppy mills &/or uneducated/uncaring people breeding dogs--just go to your local shelter if you don't believe me.

plus, there are WAY too many so-called "breeders" breeding so-called purebred dogs that aren't worth the powder to shoot them, AND there are WAY too many people who view a pet as a disposable item.

i'll try to find you a link for working corgi's however--i'll PM you when i get a good one.

end of rant. :lol:

Chuckie said:
THMW: no, i don't breed corgi's, i just have "fairly strong :evil: " opinions on breeding animals in general, and dogs especially: there are WAY too many puppy mills &/or uneducated/uncaring people breeding dogs--just go to your local shelter if you don't believe me.

plus, there are WAY too many so-called "breeders" breeding so-called purebred dogs that aren't worth the powder to shoot them, AND there are WAY too many people who view a pet as a disposable item.

i'll try to find you a link for working corgi's however--i'll PM you when i get a good one.

end of rant. :lol:

To many People breeding horses with the same qualities..

Not to worry, I've recently joined a couple of lists devoted to working corgis to get info!

And you're preaching to the choir so far as pet overpopulation.
All of my dogs (I currently have four) are fixed. Each of them is either from a shelter, a rescue, dumped or a "free to good home".

If we actually purchase a pup, it will be from a reputable breeder who is breeding for the working lines we're after. And, if we actually purchase a pup, it'll be the first of the seven dogs I've owned since leaving home that was purchased...

But we'd really like to get a good, working dog. Up til now, it's been a luxury having a dog. On this place, it'd reduce the need for day-help...

PS: so far as disposable... that's one of my big irritations, too. We've turned down jobs because they insisted we would have to "get rid of" a few dogs. My kids do far more damage to any house we've ever lived in than my dogs have, but we wouldn't get rid of them either. :p

Latest posts