• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Corn crop

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Yeah I know this is a sod buster topic not ranching but I'm wondering how the corn is turning out around the country.

We are at corn harvest here in Southern Ontario and it ain't pretty. In the south of the province where the corn usually come off at 15 - 18%, it is 20 - 25%. Around here in mid-western Ontario, it is from 28 - 40%.

Bad news. It's gonna be a slooooow drawn out harvest with obscene drying costs. Some feedlots are buying as much wet corn as possible and grinding it into pit silos. They are offering $85 - $90/ MT delivered for wet corn.

Some guys are thinking that that is better than going to the elevator and taking a $40 - $50/ MT hit on drying. Some elevators are grading the corn as "sample", meaning that it essentially has no value in the feed trade.

A slow, dry, cold growing season and a really early frost did us in this year. My farm is looking pretty good in grass. I have no crops any more and yesterday I sold my combine!!

I talked with a guy in southern Ill, said he had driven to sioux falls last week, and not much corn was being done. Said it was testing around 30% in his area. I'm in mich, around us its testing 30-40%, southern mich not much better.

It's running 30 to 40% moisture all over Mn. In our area most all off it that is still standing is covered in mold it rained so much in october that the corm never got a chance to dry down and began molding.I've got 30 acres still standing 25 of it is under water and I will begin fenceing it next week. I'm planning on grazeing it after deer season.The other 5 acres is here at home and I may chop it yet or graze it later who knows. Kinda one of those years where I have abundant feed.

Hoop said:
I talked with a guy in southern Ill, said he had driven to sioux falls last week, and not much corn was being done. Said it was testing around 30% in his area. I'm in mich, around us its testing 30-40%, southern mich not much better.

If Michigan is anything like Ohio and other states the crops were about 45 days late in being planed. Due to a very cool spring. It takes the same number of corn based days to make regardless when it was planted.

I´m a bit farther south than you guys :wink: but for what it´s worth, our corn crop down here is pretty much a total loss. In my immediate zone, almost nothing is being harvested. Here´s a snippet from an article I posted earlier:

"The drought has hit between 70 and 80 percent of the maize, rice and sorghum crops in (the north-central state of) Guárico. Sixty thousand hectares of maize are a total loss and another 60,000 hectares are severely affected," said the head of the Guárico Association of Cereal Growers, Vicente Figuera.

http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=48972

This would be the year for cattle but I think we will just be content with the few we are getting. I'd just be happy to get our beans back that a custom crew accidently combined our field. Went out last night and the entire field was done. Thank goodness a neighbor seen who was out there. Now for the phone call to inform them they combined the wrong field!!!

we are picking like mad men...16 -18 moisture, and the dryland is averaging 190 bushels.....

Excellent Jigs! We cut a few loads a couple days ago. The sandier soils were 17-19% and then it would jump up to 21-24% in some better soils. We dumped about 3500 bushels into the bin we feed out of and turned on the fans. Tried again today and still 20% plus but its 76 degrees and windy now so hopefully we can go again tomorrow. Yields look fantastic if we can just get it out. I've always thought 18% was about as high as you could safely dry corn with just air but I may change my mind if it doesn't hurry up. A year ago today or yesterday is when we had our blizzard out here that totally screwed up the rest of the winter. Fences buried, corn in the field, cattle drifted and mixed up everywhere, Obama as our new president. :cry: Everything was so screwed up. Oh well enough of the past. Everyone have a safe fall.

Big Swede, we have put corn in the bin at 22% without problems BUT YOU NEVER SHUT THE FANS OFF UNTIL IT IS FROZEN!

We have put it in up to 24% but have run into a bit of heating and spoilage if we didn't feed enough out. It helps alleviate the risk if one has the feeding option.

High mositure, but we think we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Next week we will be whipping and riding to get our sunflowers in and if the corn dries it should stay dry... Just don't need a blizzard to blow snow in the rows... Should be real good if we can combine...

feeder said:
This would be the year for cattle but I think we will just be content with the few we are getting. I'd just be happy to get our beans back that a custom crew accidently combined our field. Went out last night and the entire field was done. Thank goodness a neighbor seen who was out there. Now for the phone call to inform them they combined the wrong field!!!

Man o man, what a shocker that must have been. I´ve honestly never heard of anything like that happening before.

The closest thing to that around here is when a custom operator went to spray roundup ready beans and got into the wrong field. The beans he sprayed were not round up ready :shock: :x :cry:

And it has happened more than once.

feeder said:

We parked our pickup and trailer at the salebarn yesterday, then unhooked the pickup later on to run around town doing errands. When we came back to the salebarn in the dark, a pickup was backed under the trailer looking like it was hooked up. It kind of rattled my cage for a minute thinking we had caught a trailer thief red-handed in the act. Turned out the guy just couldn't find a parking place (I guess :? ), so he backed under the nose of our trailer. Luckily for me, the pickup was unlocked and the keys were on the seat. I drove it over to a vacant spot in another lineup, and we were able to hook up the trailer and be on our way. :roll: I did see a sales receipt on the dash so I know who the culprit is. :wink:

still some beans around here to be combined yet, some will need the ground to big time freeze up. corn is wet at 25+ . some will spend 50-100.oo in drying costs this year.

Corn is running around 20-24% at my place. Yields are good. Quality is great. We do not have mold problems like others have. Beans were excellent and went from 55- 67 bu. But it is slow going....having to wait on the dryer and then move corn to the storage bins. The forcast looks good, except for rain on Monday. Quite warm as well....maybe not the best for binning high moisture grain. Today we preg checked and vaccinated heifers. They weighed 1150#, were of good disposition and had 4% open. Took them off grass and turned them into cornstalks.

That's one of my biggest needs right now, some corn stalks to turn in to. I've had the calves weaned for a month and a half trying to save what grass I have left for the cows, but I'm about out of grass. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have a circle or two out so I have a place to run them.

Latest posts