• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

corn stalks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

busterbear

Reaction score
i am in central oklahoma and the dry weather just killed our grass and hay production this summer . have any of you guys ever fed corn stalks?

Yes but make sure you have them tested for nitrate poison!

The same dry weather that caused everything to stop growing is what will tie nitrogen up in the stalks and you could kill your livestock if not fed properly. If nitrates are not a problem feed them free choice, if they have nitrates you can still feed small controled amounts and should supplement small hay supplies.

I have seen a lot of difference in cornstalks. Some of them when baled end up with a lot of dirt in them. if they were put up quickly and they have leaves that didn't get wet it will be a lot better. They will need some pretty good supplementation.

You'd have to protein supplement them we graze stalks this year but I fed a little hay with them as I've got an over abundance of feed and want the cows fat by cold winter sets in.If you had a grinder and some wet cake they make a pretty good ration.

Kato said:
And keep up the minerals. Our cows graze standing corn, and we have to make sure they keep their calcium levels up. We use 3:1 mineral when they're on corn.

Good advice, Kato. There is already phos in the corn stalks and phos being
a limiter, if you feed it in too high a ratio they won't eat it and therefore
won't get their trace minerals that are so important.

Latest posts