• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Corner Post

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
What are some of your opinions on how to brace a corner post? A friend and I always argue about it whenever fencing is brougt up. Is putting your steel brace at the top of the post better or putting it lower to make a so called H brace?

my preference is to hire it done...they always seem to be nice corners, and easy to put in that way.

On pipe corners we always used 4 runs of pipe for braces, and on single brace corners I go between half way up (H) and 3/4 of the way up. If that makes sense. Also if you run a tension wire please make sure you run it the proper way. Bottom of corner to the top of the brace post not vice versa.

Does running the brace 3/4 the way up instead of all the way at the top help from leaning or is that just the way you have always done it?

this fellow had some nice looking, functional braces/corners

http://ranchers.net/forum/about37464.html&highlight=

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37103&highlight=

there are as many ways to build a fence as their are ranchers/fence builders :wink: :wink: every area has different conditions and constraints just to make it interesting :lol:

3 M L & C said:
What are some of your opinions on how to brace a corner post? A friend and I always argue about it whenever fencing is brougt up. Is putting your steel brace at the top of the post better or putting it lower to make a so called H brace?

Put the brace at the top; otherwise, it will be a Leanin' H. :wink: Seriously, if the brace is too low, there is too much pressure on the top of the post and it can in time, lean, or even break off. For that reason, we never call our corners an "H brace," but instead the term "box corner" fits more appropriately.

When installing the wire angle support, be sure to have it on an anchor separate from the corner post. If a fencer "gets lazy" and merely angles a wire from the bottom of the corner post to the top of the inside corner, it doesn't do all that much good, and will in time tend to pull up the bottom of the corner. Another gimmick that doesn't work is to make a "tee" on the bottom of the corner post. That, too, will in time give and allow the corner to come up. This occurs when the ground freezes and thaws each year. A box corner only supports the stretched wire from one direction, so there is absolutely no reason to have brace wires that look like an "X" when looking at the side of the box corner. One angle of the "X" will always be loose, which indicates that it wasn't necessary in the first place.

Have fun. A good looking fence gives much satisfaction, and crappy fence is cause to hide your face. There are fences on our ranch that fit both descriptions.

P.S. If anyone is intersted in repairing existing fence, and doing a good job of it, send me a P.M.

We build them with the bracing (horizontal) at the top of the brace and run the tension wire from the bottom of the corner to the top of the brace post. On electric we just pound a single 4-5" or 6" post depending on how big a run it is. Hard clay ground makes a good brace.
We had a guy custom fence some wells and he used 10 or 12' 3" oilfield pipe for corners with no bracing and they seem pretty good (they are about 5 to 6' in the ground).

No matter how many wires will be on a given fence, I guess a good rule of thumb would be to have the top wire above the brace, and all the rest of the wires below the brace.

I build my fence like soapweed with th eception of the extra brace to hook the brace wire to. What do you puy in to hook the wire to?. Never have understood the x wire brace either I think maybe people both cause they can't figure out wich way is right.

I have never built a fence and have no opinion. :wink: Like crossbreeding, calving season and blondes or brunettes, it all comes down to what works for you and your country. Apparently if i listen to some of ya'll, mine are wrong. It's a good thing i don't listen. Maybe your's are wrong but that could never happen! :???: :roll: I will bet ya in 50 years mine will still be standing. That's what counts. What you think doesn't. :shock: :D

leanin' H said:
I have never built a fence and have no opinion. :wink: Like crossbreeding, calving season and blondes or brunettes, it all comes down to what works for you and your country. Apparently if i listen to some of ya'll, mine are wrong. It's a good thing i don't listen. Maybe your's are wrong but that could never happen! :???: :roll: I will bet ya in 50 years mine will still be standing. That's what counts. What you think doesn't. :shock: :D
but you don't live in heavy snow country. :D lot of lay down fences here

I'm no expert by any means. I'm always looking for a better way to do things. thats why I brought it up.

Here is an option if you live in rocky country like we do. This one has been holding up a fence for 60 plus years.

PIC_6456.jpg
[/img]

Dylan Biggs said:
Here is an option if you live in rocky country like we do. This one has been holding up a fence for 60 plus years.

PIC_6456.jpg
[/img]

I wonder how long it would take that one to sink here in the swamps. :lol:

Alot of those here in the swamps trick is setting some t-post to hold the basket and make sure it's level.I've got one made out of a old round bale feeder lined with hog fence.It hold's alot of rocks.

gcreekrch said:
Dylan Biggs said:

PIC_6456.jpg
[/img]

I wonder how long it would take that one to sink here in the swamps. :lol:

I don't know, what's a swamp anyway? :D

3 M L & C said:
I'm no expert by any means. I'm always looking for a better way to do things. thats why I brought it up.

I feel the same way. :D What works for me might not somewhere else. :wink: As long as the strain brace is good and solid, it sure helps a fence last. And i am a lazy sun-of-a-gun and only like doing stuff once. :wink:

Those rock cages like Dylan posted are holding up lots of fence out here. Especially in high passes where cows naturally drift through the ledges. Pounding steel posts that have been flown in by helicopter is a pain. Building a strain brace would be a nightmare. Stack enough rocks in a net wire cage and let gravity earn it's supper! :D

Gcreek, if your fences all sank, it would give you something to keep ya busy. Or you might want to decrease the frame size of your cows so that they will stay in a fence that started out 52 inches high and is now 8 3/4 inches high. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts